Axe FX III

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Silver Supporting Member
Wow!

Thanks to Cooper Carter for posting this on Facebook.

Go to this link to be added to the wait list.
http://www.fractalaudio.com/iii/

Unprecedented Power
"The original Axe-Fx upended the industry by being the first device for musicians to put a military/industrial-grade DSP into a consumer product. Leveraging the power of this DSP allowed detail and realism that no other product had previously achieved. The Axe-Fx II expanded on this concept by putting two of those same DSPs to work. Continuing the legacy of this philosophy the Axe-Fx III harnesses the power of no fewer than four separate processors.

Two 1.0 GHz, floating-point “Keystone” Digital Signal Processors (DSPs) comprise the main audio engine. These processors are the most powerful DSPs available delivering over twice the performance of the DSPs used in our previous generation products. To feed these advanced processors we coupled 4Gb of blazing fast PC1600 DDR3 memory, hundreds of MB of FLASH memory, a proprietary FPGA and a rich set of peripherals.

The stunning color display is controlled by a dedicated graphics processor while USB traffic and user interface tasks are handled by a 500 MHz, 16-core microcontroller providing smooth operation and robust USB performance."

Last edited:

FPFL

Crushing specs! Very curious to see the new GUI. Its the place I wanted more. The AX8/II already had enough power IMHO, I don't even know what they are going to do with this beast.

chrisjnyc

Supporting Member
Looks like they added a lot of I\O on the back... not seeing a ton of new features inside... I am going to call it from now, first one ships this summer.

p.s. Where are all the guys chiming in that "they told you so" last month?

crispsandwich

Crushing specs! Very curious to see the new GUI. Its the place I wanted more. The AX8/II already had enough power IMHO, I don't even know what they are going to do with this beast.
It looks incredibly impressive, but I genuinely feel that the current generation of digital gear has 'captured' the sound and feel of valve amplifiers and so I'm curious to see how this can be improved. The re-worked effects have my interest piqued as well.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Silver Supporting Member
It looks incredibly impressive, but I genuinely feel that the current generation of digital gear has 'captured' the sound and feel of valve amplifiers and so I'm curious to see how this can be improved.
I'm guessing that the amount of processing power was intended to make it "future proof" for the foreseeable future. Higher res IRs, higher res reverb and delays, multi band EQs, more effects in a chain, etc.

jcj

Supporting Member
I can't say I'm shocked, Cliff has never struck me as one to sit on his ass. :D

I'm interested to see where they go with the floor units, as well; I can't imagine he's loving all the focus on L6.

That spec bump makes me think the price will be very high.

I ended up buying the helix + native instead of an axe II and even if this ends up being way better than the helix I'm sure glad I didn't shell out 2k+ from the axe ii just a few months before announcement.

Really curious to see how fractal pushes the envelope forward.

gtr37

it maybe just me and its cool that its Color display ,has recording DI , but too me it looks even more complex to use than the 2.

also new foot controllers have led and scribbles but the scribbles stayed looking like the old AX8 , just mono chrome blue/black now .

It would also appear that maybe it for the 2 by reading the product details