Axe FX III

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stratzrus, Jan 29, 2018.

1. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

I'm not sure exactly but it was pretty quick after the announcement. I'd probably do it if I was recording or a more serious player. All my patches that I build from scratch end up in the same sonic zip code which is why I ditched my Axe-fx Ultra for a Port City Pearl 100 and a Port City 212 Standard cab with a few pedals, Kingsley Jester, Strymon Flint & El Capistan etc. Sounded freaking amazing. Wish I'd never sold it but at the time I just thought it was too much amp for me.

Pedal Dan likes this.
  2. yeky83

yeky83 Member

Man I'm not happy about the price on that. I'll buy it to make a rig out of the III... but the price doesn't seem justifiable in comparison with the Helix Control which is the same thing. They're both just boxes of screens and switches with the brain in the main unit, but Helix Control costs $400, and has an additional capability of capacitive footswitches. :/

3. LaXu

LaXu Member

I agree. While I understand Fractal doesn't have the ability to order as huge a pile of units as Line6 and get similar volume discounts, almost double price for the FC12 is hard to swallow when the only thing it does better than the Helix Control is the ability to chain more of these units together.

Call me a cheapskate but I didn't bother with the MFC for Axe-Fx 2 either because I felt it was expensive for my needs and not having support for it on the 3 (at least at the moment) makes it a brick for those who want to upgrade to 3.

Eric Rowland likes this.
  4. hippietim

hippietim Member

There’s lots of activity at the Fractal forum.

MixMinisterMike and yeky83 like this.
  5. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

I used a different foot controller for awhile but eventually picked up the last generation MFC. It works well for me. The fact that they didn’t make the III plug and play with the MFC will probably be the reason I pass when my number comes up. I’d need to daisy chain 2 of the new controllers to get the functionality I now have, and that adds to the cost as well as the learning curve.

6. LaXu

LaXu Member

Yeah I'm not saying the MFC is not a great unit and was probably the best thing to combine with the Axe-Fx 2. For my needs I get along just fine with a cheapo FCB1010 with UnO chip when setup to change presets on one row, change scenes on another, handle tap tempo by tapping the activated scene switch again and have a few banks for things like looper control etc. Far from perfect but perfectly sufficient.

I think the more modern setups with a small display above the buttons really help not having to remember put tape down to label which switch does what and having multiple functions there makes it easier to use.

7. gtr37

gtr37 Member

It again to me seems like too much info .the windows can be any color ,the switches can be any color . I really like the line6 control and the black background with white font, having a green or red screen like the RJM mastermind I don't find super appealing , the AXE3 rack is a thing of beauty ,this seems to be heading back to to 1980 video game display on the axe 2 or AX8

8. fremen

fremen Vendor

Joined the club a few hours ago...

PBGas, BoogieZilla, veritechc and 2 others like this.
  9. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

The scribble strips are black/white. The font can be either white on black or black on white. The LED rings are different colors based on function.

PBGas, gtr37, hippietim and 2 others like this.
  10. yeky83

yeky83 Member

FWIW I thought MFC's price was justified since it was a capable standalone MIDI controller, competing in the price range of various very expensive MIDI controllers. Built like a tank too.

FC is just a single use device, a box of footswitches and screens... anyway, we'll see if it's worth it when it actually comes out. Still speculation phase I suppose.

Elric likes this.
  11. gtr37

gtr37 Member

Thanks for clearing that up
    I apologize , I obviously made incorrect assumptions
    I like the sound of this much better now

12. veritechc

veritechc Member

I know!!! I wonder how much I'll miss those capacitive footswitches! I'm on the waitlist and I will buy but only to complete the rig. I was told that is how much Fractal can sell these for and still turn a profit. But man its a truckload of cash. I could buy a Helix Rack + Control and two Stagesource speakers for the same cost of an Axe Fx III and an FC12.

Its even more painful once you realize that the Axe Fx III will only power one FC unit at a time. So if you are daisy chaining these together you need a wall wart for every unit oner one. Of course you can't afford more than one FC12 or 6 before you have to take out a second mortgage...lol

This unit looks very familiar...

[​IMG]

13. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

You can use the MFC with the III apparently, as long as you don't mind devoting a weekend to programming everything LOL. It's just not plug and play.
    Kind of a deal-breaker for me though because I don't even like the new controllers.

14. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

The most expensive modeler has the most expensive foot controller. NOOOOOO

Austin

Sustainerplayer likes this.
  15. yeky83

yeky83 Member

Look up RJM, FAMC, etc., form factor is nothing new.

IMHO, the most expensive modeler is priced accordingly to its hardware and capability, while the foot controller ain't. That's what the complaint is about. But feel free to continue to make sarcastic remarks ;)

veritechc likes this.
  16. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Opinions are nice but the company owner says that's what the price needs to be for them to make a profit so I guess I'll take that over your opinion. That doesn't mean you have to like it of course :)

I just hope it ends up being good or I'll have end up having to spend twice as much for another GT22.

Austin

17. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Member

18. sixeight

sixeight Member

The main display looks very nice, but the scribble strips are quite small and they don't look like they are easy to read. I would have expected them to be white-on-black, not black-on-white.

19. gtr37

gtr37 Member

Read Cliff,s reply above
    I asked this question too
    You can change the background to black with white text if you want to

PBGas likes this.
  20. Willowdale

Willowdale Member