Axe FX III

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stratzrus, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Drop the sun

Drop the sun Member

From Cliff (FAS) :
    The price is $2499. First units expected to start shipping March 1st.

Jason_A likes this.
  2. aruark1

aruark1 Member

This is the best thing about competition. Look at that new interface! Kudos to Fractal, I'm sure this thing will be a monster! It looks like it's a dedicated custom embedded PC situation almost. DDR3 surprises me a bit, but who knows what the rest of the system comprises, I'm sure it will be a rock solid machine.

Ultimately I'm just really happy for @nicolasrivera . Now he has a new drum to pound! ;)

Crash-VR, KSL, Viabcroce and 3 others like this.
  3. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

4. Chris@TGP

Chris@TGP Supporting Member

Lol, I just pre-orderer a Boss GT1000, pre-ordered HX Effects and just got an UA OX (still within the return period).

Could cancel all preorders and return the OX and get this in March/April... tempting... tempting...

Slicklickz and MIJLOVER like this.
  5. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

6. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Looks cool!

NO Green Screen yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay !!!

Now don't make the models sound as dark. Every Axe unit I have bought (std, ult, Axe 2) have always had a darker tonality. One of the reasons KPA jumped out at me was clean brightness in Fender and other models, Boogie cleans too.

Can't wait to hear some demos.

Was this at NAMM?

SinglecutGuy and Darl like this.
  7. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Ouch - if that horsepower meter is anything like related to real life usage, this unit should do for quite a while to come...

scott757, KeLynne, yeky83 and 2 others like this.
  8. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

That looks amazing spec-wise. But judging by the interface screenshots, the user experience and workflow seems to be very close to the Axe II. Which means lots of pages and lots of parameters; absolute power at your finger tips, which can be both a good thing and a bad thing.

I do wonder if it's a bit overpowered for most guitarists needs, and that perhaps not enough work went into making it accessible, quick, fun, and easy to use. I guess I'll be the one to say it, but I still think the Helix interface *seems* to be better, at first glance. Once videos start popping up my opinion may change on that.

RSRD, aruark1 and ejecta like this.
  9. Chris@TGP

Chris@TGP Supporting Member

And Axe-FX 2's are about to flood Ebay in 3...2...1...

10. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

What took you so long?

Yikes.... love my AX8 but not sinking that kind of coin into that. I’m sure a lot of them will be sold so I’m probably a minority.

Geiri and JiveTurkey like this.
  11. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

Damn I love capitalism

Couple comments:
    Tons of DSP power. Two 1 GHz chips!
    Workflow appears to be roughly the same except for the improved screen and 5 knobs/buttons below the screen. The "directional buttons and value wheel" thing needs to go.
    2 mono fx loops
    The "channels" feature helps save DSP by changing blocks instantly. Good idea, but it's layered on top of the existing presets/scenes functionality which seems very complex to me.
    $2499.99 is a lot, plus the controllers.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Matteo11, KeLynne, seigmen and 5 others like this.
  12. orbm1

orbm1 Member

It is SUPER impressive. The new "channels" feature and the new MFC are very interesting!

[​IMG]

pima1234, KeLynne, 3dognate and 11 others like this.
  13. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

Look at the new beautiful 6X14 Matrix!!!

[​IMG]

pima1234, Matteo11, Elric and 17 others like this.
  14. LaXu

LaXu Member

Based on a quick look...I think I might either stick to my Axe-Fx 2 or look for something else. A lot of what's new is just making it possible to run more of everything but the front panel is not the kind of huge improvement I would have liked to see. That navigation layout is still awful, it still has that stupid value wheel when all that could have been combined to a joystick ala Line6 Helix.

This seems more than anything a unit for power users of the Axe-Fx 2. I'm sure it will remain the most powerful guitar processor for years to come and with it Cliff can push in even more realistic modeling but I would expect that it doesn't sound any different from Axe 2 at the time of release.

egregion and ejecta like this.
  15. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

So you weren’t able to dial out any darkness to the amps? Ive been using an AX8 for a good while now I don’t have issues with not dialing in a tone that isn’t too dark. I played Sunday with my AX8 and I’m having issues with my ears feeling full due to allergies and still didn’t find my tone too dark.

Tuco and Gearzilla like this.
  16. EverlastingLight

EverlastingLight Member

Has he spoken about the cost of the footswitches yet?

17. Sonnyducks

Sonnyducks Member

My initial reaction is that the workflow/UI is the same...just with a color screen. I'm totally fine with the current on-unit UI/workflow as I've put the time in to learn it. But compared to the workflow of others...it is cumbersome. I think the ask from many [potential] customers was better UI/workflow AND a color screen but doesn't look like they did anything with the workflow.

18. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Pretty much my thoughts.
    Maybe they should come up with an "easy edit" kinda thing. The FM7 (pretty much 1:1 clone of a DX7 from Native Instruments) featured that and in most situations it was absolutely sufficient to load a patch close to what you wanted and never look elsewhere but on the easy edit page.
    Of course you need to let your "I did it all by myself pride" go.

ryandfl likes this.
  19. EverlastingLight

EverlastingLight Member

Up to 6 effects in parallel lol!

stratzrus and ejecta like this.
  20. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

The thing that’s fairly exciting is seeing the new MFCs and color screen on the rack unit... that surely will propagate to a new AX8. If the price isn’t crazy I’m in on upgrading to that.