Axe FX III

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stratzrus, Jan 29, 2018.

1. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Supporting Member

That is probably the ONLY example of this case. The rest are all heavily darker than their real life counterparts. I'll admit I lost hair watching that video, but Larrys presets were just that, presets. Not a stock pull it out of the bag and don't tweak it setting.

2. barhrecords

barhrecords Member

TGP never disappoints.
    Trying to decide what is worse for me:

1. Reading this entire thread.
    or
    2. Reading this entire thread.

3. Lord N

Lord N Member

Those are the ones i listened to. I have heard a lot of crap singers, i don't think you are one. :)
    Would try to mix the vox better into the music though.

or
    3. JOIN THE AXE3 HYPE-TRAIN CHOOO CHOOO

ejecta likes this.
  4. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

That's me in a nutshell and why I found the Axe FX so attractive. I thought the AmpliFire would make a great addition/backup and I'd love to have one but my list of "wanna haves" has gotten long enough that I doubt I'll ever get to an AmpliFire. :(

This is so true. There are some people here whose opinions I really respect. Two know a lot about engineering, much more than I'll ever know. The other is a monster player, better chops than I'll ever have. But when I heard their clips I realized that the tones that they thought were great tones were very different than the tones I was looking for. I still respect their knowledge of gear and technique but if they say an amp or speaker is too dark I've learned take it with a grain of salt because they all like more high end and upper midrange than I do.

I don't think modelers become obsolete. Someone once argued with me saying that once there were no more firmware updates a modeler was obsolete by definition. Well, there are no updates for a tube amp either so are they obsolete? Of course not because they still sound good. Well so does my Ultra that is no longer being updated. As far as I'm concerned the Ultra will be obsolete if I can't get it fixed or if the technology surpasses it so much that it sounds like crap. To date neither is the case, it still sounds great with the latest firmware update and properly dialed in.

I'm a Sig:X player and love it but I like the Axe FX too. Just because you like steak doesn't mean you can't eat fish on occasion. Regarding the Sig:X, if you're a bedroom player and want to get the most out of it, consider getting a Power Station. It was one of the best gear purchases I've ever made and works so well with my Sig:X and Deliverance 120 that I can use them in my apartment without getting evicted. ;)

Whatever you may think of your singing Karl you are a killer player! Great playing and tone!...and the singing is pretty nice from where I sit.

:agree

There are compelling reasons to use cheaper and simpler rigs for most players, the Axe FX is a very specific tool for very specific needs.

I agree about the UI. Of course I've been using it exclusively for years now, never used Axe Edit, so I'm pretty comfortable with it. The latest UI looks like it's going to be even more user friendly.

Guitardave, Willowdale and jpage like this.
  5. SinglecutGuy

Now if that's true, with 10 Billion times more processing power, and award winning UI, and all the new whizbang features....why the freak couldn't they have built it in for those two to work together as they have before?

6. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

That is the whole point...it's ALWAYS subjective and without hearing things it's pointless.

If J. Mascis talks about the gear he uses - I know what the end result is from his music and can make more sense of whether it's a fit for my needs/preferences. When someone posts Ola Eglund stuff I just skip over it because I just don't like any of the tones he gets. @ColdFrixion almost always has clips that sound good to me regardless of the style. I know he is able to produce compelling results that are interesting to me so I tend to attention to his commentary regardless of whether I agree with the particular points being discussed.

Anyways - this is a discussion of a cool new Fractal product so let's get back to that! Just like any piece of gear some people will create both horrible and amazing sounding guitar tones with it. :D

7. Willowdale

Willowdale Member

Perhaps they didn’t want to for their own reasons....

8. iaresee

iaresee Supporting Member

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Only one person can answer that and I am not him.

Edit: actually, I will say the new FC-6 and FC-12 are substantially nicer looking units than the MFC and the way they work with the hardware is changing significantly. The are no longer stand-alone MIDI devices, but III-specific extensions that communicate with the III over a custom, non-MIDI protocol. The settings for the FCs reside entirely within the III and its presets, not in the FCs themselves.

I mean, the MFC still works with the III. It's just not as tightly integrated as it was with the II. Sometimes you have to leave things behind to get ahead.

djd100 and nicolasrivera like this.
  9. Hoth

Hoth Silver Supporting Member

At this point it's not a hype train. I am ASTOUNDED every day by how amazing the Ax8 is into my Atomic CLR. That puts a smile on my face every time. I just was playing the Lonestar model. If you play that model for five minutes and it doesn't hit you right in the gut then you're just not paying attention. So Fractal now is a known quantity. And you're adding industry leading modeling to the insane specs of a rocket ship box with Cliff captaining the trip. Only amazing things are in store for us.

Elric, MrMoose, nla and 4 others like this.
  10. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Silver Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    With that massive new grid and extra power, the number of same-kind blocks per-preset doesn’t seem to match the new possibilities IMO. I’m guessing this will expand later on.

[​IMG]

aliensporebomb likes this.
  11. SinglecutGuy

Yea, probably to get customers to buy the new FC boards, scratch that, MAKE them. I know this is all conjecture until FAS announces this, but with lack of the, mentioning it, I'm led to believe that will be the case.

12. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

So... I'm not willing to sift through this entire thread... But is there an updated AX-8 around the corner? Some physical ailments has me looking at modeling more and more.

13. iaresee

Channels are going to make you not care about block counts.

djd100, stratzrus and tjontheroad like this.
  14. iaresee

Everyone is out to get you. Always.

P.S. I'm selling some tinfoil hats, can I interest you in a few?

Rocket Brother and SinglecutGuy like this.
  15. tjontheroad

I haven’t gotten my head around channels yet. You could be right though.

16. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

It’s not that the AxeIII needs to be more user friendly— it needs be user friendly at all before it can be more. :D

Seriously though, the interface of the current AxeII is just not good. And before anyone lines up to throw darts at me, I am a huge Fractal fan, and my bonafides date back to the Axe Standard, an Ultra, an Axe-Fx II and an AX8. So let’s just all take a deep breath and acknowledge that interface and usability is dated and lagging behind the competition, a point that is proven by the existence of the AxeIII with its clear focus on interface and usability.

There were no concessions made to on-unit usability in the current AxeII (and there shouldn’t have been, as the modeling is where the research needed to be done at the time of its design.) Actually, that’s not true. They did improve the interface from the old Ultra days, but the Helix came along and completely obliterated, well, everything, resetting all expectations of what things can and should be.

Fractal (and a certain subset of fans) spent a lot of time poo-pooing the importance of the interface when Helix hit the scene. I always maintained that the Helix sounds were far more important — who cares how easy it is to tweak if it doesn’t sound good? To my ears, the Helix sounds great, and so usability became such a highlight.

Fractal is a victim of their own success to a point, in that the modeling is so damned good, I honestly don’t know where the gains are going to be in terms of how the models sound. So now they have to spend time on other areas that don’t play to their strengths, possibly. We’ll see! I’m looking forward to seeing more of the interface. I’m rooting for them. After all, I’m on the waiting list. :)

I hope they spent some time on the individual effect “presets” (for lack of a better term). The effects are truly stellar, but I don’t have the time to spend hours recreating a preset to sound like something I can get from the Strymon Blue Sky with a single button press. I know it’s in there, help me get it so I can spend less time tweaking and more time playing. Fractal have pushed back on this type of preset creation in the past. I hope they spent time with the drives too.

17. Willowdale

Willowdale Member

If that’s their reason, then it’s their business decision......they are the ones putting up the upfront funds & taking the risk on a new high end modeler.

18. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

Channels are kind of like X/Y states on steroids, right?

19. SinglecutGuy

Justifiable excuse while boasting over double the processing power.

Come on, man. If they really don't work together, that's just crappy.

20. tjontheroad

I think they’re more like scene controllers.

“Our new “Channel” concept is a revolution in functionality. Each effect block has up to four channels with each channel containing a unique set of parameter values. Channel switching is instantaneous and seamless and can be done manually (via a foot controller, for example) or automatically when changing scenes. Channels can also be switch via MIDI for applications requiring automation.

Channels provide quick, easy parameter switching without the unwanted side-effects of preset changes (due to grid reordering). Set the Amp block so that Channel A is a “Deluxe Verb” model, Channel B is a “Plexi”, Channel C is a “Recto” and Channel D is “FAS Modern”. Then change channels instantly at the touch of a button.”

yeky83 likes this.