Axe FX III

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stratzrus, Jan 29, 2018.

1. bdrepko

bdrepko Member

Yep, that's how I use it.

2. gtr37

gtr37 Member

we were ,but i asked the stupid question why something simple like Snapshots could not be implemented with that much processing power and it was explained ,so we can go back to AXe 3 now
    as that question was answered .

3. bdrepko

bdrepko Member

I thought I had inadvertently gone to the Helix thread by mistake. Its still early.

4. Lord N

Lord N Member

What? I thought this thread was about the Zoom G5.

5. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

Axe FX III is superior.;)

Ericjutsu likes this.
  6. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

This is based on two mistaken notions: 1) that the technological basis of cab emulation - linear transfer function (aka "IR") - is inherently inadequate for the task, and 2) that knowledge of DSP simulation of electronic two-port devices is sufficient to enable one to convincingly model devices that radiate acoustic energy.

Corinthian, yeky83 and ejecta like this.
  7. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

I do massively prefer the look of the Axe III to the Axe II. Looks more modern somehow, even ignoring the screen.

stratzrus likes this.
  8. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

A great teacher I had about 100 years ago used to say "You have to dare to suck!"

What he was saying was if you don't jump in, you'll never learn to swim.

Playing live is nothing like playing in the basement/bedroom/garage. The amount of cooperation, understanding and technical prowess necessary to make a coherent presentation involving several people is huge.

9. ejecta

ejecta Member

As always not as good is subjective but it does seem that they’ve also tried to bring some more of the controls out to the front if the unit which the Helix does better than anything out there IMHO. We’ll see how much access and to what extent the controls make it to the foot controller.

Honestly the Fractal UI isn’t the best in the world but it’s not as horrible as some make it out to be either. Once you learn it’s very workable. Could it be better? Yes but it’s more than fine.

That’s the cool thing about a competitive market though... there are different products out there with different approaches that can meet the wants and needs of different personalities. The back and forth discussions on forums like this can can be beneficial to the makers of gear. It gives them new ideas and helps them make products better so it’s not all bad. Where this becomes a problem is where the team mentality creeps up and the fanbois must defend their gear girlfriend at all cost. Features get called “toddler” or “unusable because it’s deep” just out of pure team mentality.

Anyway I think it’s a great time to be a guitar player with a lot fun toys to play with. While this unit wouldn’t fit my wants... it’s clear to me Fractal has stepped up thier game to try and better the user interface and future proof the unit as best they can with their architecture and that’s just a win for everyone no matter your flavor of choice.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  10. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

Cliff has more than proven he's a development monster, and I expect this unit is going to give him a platform to play on for quite some time. He ran out of room on the Axe Fx II and came out with the XL, then the XL+, and how much hardware improvement was there? Some, and it was nice, but nothing earth-shaking. Just bought him room. Now look at what this unit has for processing capabilities and memory, without interface hardware in the way. He'll be able to do all sorts of things over the next X years, and we can only imagine what those things will be.

stratzrus and 108 like this.
  11. Elric

Elric Member

If you can’t deal with the idea of programming the unit or lots of parameters don’t buy one. Shrug. Lots of people seem able to handle it. Some folks here act like people are going to pass on this unit or it is unmanageably difficult because it requires some non-zero amount of effort to learn... AxeFxen are tweaker’s units...

To me the interface is hardly obtuse, the bigger screen will be *great* too and will make things much quicker. Seriously, the interface makes a sh*tload of sense after a month or so. It’s just not smartphone simple. If that is your only issue and you are making it into some federal case or if you are some fan of some other system and you are grasping at straws trying to advocate your unit... no sympathy.

12. Electric I

Electric I Member

Really diggin' the 6-button controller. Way to go, Fractal.

stratzrus and 108 like this.
  13. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

Alright bruvva, relax yo' batty!

howdy-doo likes this.
  14. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

I just love my Johnson J-Station

Dr.Lee, mikah912, gtr37 and 2 others like this.
  15. North

North Member

Go after Eventide (too) at about double the price. Personally, I was planning to buy a H9000, not anymore. :)

16. Dr Bonkers

Dr Bonkers Vendor

Can you define in more quantifiable terms what you mean by better cab simulation? What specifically do you find lacking?

yeky83 likes this.
  17. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

18. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

I use my 16k rig to run Axe-Edit

WiresDream likes this.
  19. LaXu

LaXu Member

It's not that I find something lacking, but IRs can only do so much for simulating the cab. I'm sure they leave out many dynamic aspects of the cabinet and speaker. This is probably an area that could be improved to sound even more realistic. How, well that's for people smarter than me to figure out. The Axe certainly should have enough processing power to make it happen so it's more a question of how to do that.

stratzrus likes this.
  20. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

According to Cliff, the Axe-FX has always modeled the speaker as a reactive load and its interaction with the virtual power amp.