Axe FX III

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stratzrus, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Silver Supporting Member

2. Yek

Yek Member

Existing green screen and user interface are a little archaic. Especially on the AX8 because it hasn't the controls of the Axe-Fx II (FX8 is better).
    Funny thing is that in all its simplicity, I can batch-edit presets on the Axe-Fx II so much faster, than using any editor.
    It's a bit like a command-line compared to a GUI. I'm going to miss that.

yeky83, stratzrus and ejecta like this.
  3. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Yek, can you unpack that for those of us who are not as tech savvy?

How do you batch-edit presets on the II? Why can't you do that on the III? What is a "command-line"? Thanks.

Sorry for the elementary basic level questions but this is how I learn about this stuff.

4. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

The old green screen may be archaic, but there's something to be said about tried-and-true technology. Predictability and reliability are pretty high on the list when it comes to performance gear qualities. Much military and industrial gear follows similar curves. You don't want to be putting a whole lotta faith in something bleeding edge, no matter how nice it is.

slowerhand and ejecta like this.
  5. ejecta

ejecta Member

And lets not forget these modelers are trying to emulate old tried and true tube tech. Plus tube amps and analog pedals are as popular as they ever were. Just because it's old doesn't always make it bad or outdated and unusable.

stratzrus likes this.
  6. Yek

Yek Member

With batch-editing I mean editing a lot of presets after each other. For example, removing the FXL block from 30 or so presets, or changing a parameter value in a effects block.
    The physical controls on the Axe-Fx II (NAV, Page, Exit etc.) let me do that real fast, like executing a macro. A graphical GUI is much nicer but also slower for some tasks.

A command-line is a text-based input system. The Axe-Fx doesn't have a command line (like MS-DOS, or Linux, or the Terminal app on Mac computers).
    I just used that for comparison because it also looks ugly but supports fast operations (if you know what you're doing).

yeky83 and stratzrus like this.
  7. stratamania

stratamania Member

The UI looks perfectly fine and usable to me. Its been a while since I had the Axe II but that was easy enough to navigate from the front panel. You will also have an editor if you prefer. And if you don't want to deep dive parameters, most of the most common ones are probably available on the first page.

It would be a different matter if you had to open up a terminal and SSH to the device and do everything via Unix like commands. GUIs are easy :)

stratzrus and djd100 like this.
  8. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

Well, there is the issue of maintainability when it comes to older technology, which has already bitten Fractal. The parameter wheel they used in the original design is already obsolete and unavailable, and it's a wear part. They claim to have enough stock to reasonably support the installed base, but that's inevitably going to be depleted. Then whaddaya do? Toss an otherwise wonderful device? Product lifespans aren't what they used to be.

Vhailor and ejecta like this.
  9. Dr Bonkers

Dr Bonkers Vendor

IR files either sound like a recorded cab or they don't.

They record all the dynamics of a cab that are captured by recordings and sound reinforcement systems.

In order to solve a problem, you have to specifically define what is lacking, otherwise it's the dsp equivalent of chasing shadows.

Vhailor, Yek and mikah912 like this.
  10. Lord N

Lord N Member

I totally agree it looks much better and more modern and i sooo hope that it will translate to a new AX8. But i'm not sure if there will be one.

:agree

11. ejecta

ejecta Member

It's got to... I have no access to the numbers but if I were a betting man I'd say the AX8 sold far too well for it not to be the in the line for a make over.

12. mikah912

mikah912 Member

I'm sure it is being planned. I'm curious as to how they'll reconcile the reduced price with the need for three different DSP chips now (one for the UI, one for amps, one for FX).

ejecta likes this.
  13. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

I think this is great. I really appreciated the ease of programming footswitches on the AX8 when using Axe-Edit.

14. PaulHudgins

PaulHudgins Member

I'll just be waiting for everyone to dump their Axe-FX II's.

Dr.Lee likes this.
  15. RiGLEY

RiGLEY Member

Is the new version 120% more realer?

16. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

LOL, I still gig my Ultra and have my II in mystudio. I do like the II better, but I have never made the time to program all my live patches into the II, to include all my CC data (plus re-program the MFC-101). Now I'm even less likely, since I'll just have to do it again! I'll just leapfrog the II for live work probably.

The Ultra sounds fine on stage. The II has a better feel but the Ultra was "good enough". I don't go FRFR so that makes a huge difference in how it all feels.

17. squealie

squealie Member

HAHA.

I came in the thread looking for this. Dude. You have been whinging on the Fractal UI for a decade. It's comedy.

18. Bradmeister

Bradmeister Member

Does anyone know what DSP chips are being used in the new beast?

19. djd100

djd100 Member

No, the Gen 1 Axe FX Rotary Encoder is still available if anyone needs one...

https://www.mouser.com/Bourns/Electromechanical/Encoders/_/N-39xfc?P=1z0zlsd&No=250

The problem Fractal had was a bad shipment from the manufacturer which ended up failing in the field. I needed to replace mine fairly early on in my Ultra's life, even though it was just used in the studio via Axe Edit prior to failure. Since I replaced mine it's been fine, and I've used the Ultra live a lot with my tube gear since the replacement without issue for over six/seven years now (with moderate front panel usage etc).

20. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Thanks, that's helpful!