Axe FX III

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stratzrus, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Lord N

Lord N Member

I/O's?

Over twice as real? That's not possible without a joystick or touchscreen. :p

2. mbetter

mbetter Member

Eight inputs and eight outputs? What else could it possibly be?

3. hippietim

hippietim Member

I don't know, hopefully one of the beta testers will chime in. Personally, I won't use it as I have an RME interface with a whole bunch of other stuff connected. But I know this is important to a lot of other folks.

stratzrus likes this.
  4. hippietim

hippietim Member

It was a senseless response to a senseless post. It's like going to Ikea and announcing you prefer antiques.

ejecta likes this.
  5. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I get your point. I use both and see what he's saying but yeah it's not the most productive response.

6. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

No FX loops. So does that mean no 4 cable method?

Perhaps the inputs and outputs are flexible...

EDIT: Outputs 3 and 4 are designed for unity gain applications such as “the four cable method” or dual stereo inserts and can also be used as general-purpose outputs.

7. iaresee

iaresee Supporting Member

Yes, they are.

8. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

Ah, yes. You didn't quote my entire post. Nice.

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I have an RME interface too but was never able to get Logic to see it. Any chance I can PM you about it?

10. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

That is one possible stimulus signal, but this goes directly to a huge lack of understanding of the relationships between time- and frequency-based representations of a system. An accurate impulse response - which accounts fully for the transient behavior of a speaker - can be gotten using many different stimulus signals.

In principle, the nature of the stimulus is not critical so long as it meets a few requirements. It can be an actual impulse, a linear sine sweep, a logarathimic sine sweep, pink noise, white noise, or music. When the stimulus is not an impulse - which it rarely is, for several compelling reasons - the impulse response is derived mathematically from the response of the system to the chosen stimulus.

No. My practice is to acquire impulse responses that have no reflections, but the presence of reflections is not level-sensitive.
    No.
    There had better be no "distortion in the signal along the way." Mythology notwithstanding, the distortion produced by guitar speakers is not an audible contributor to any iconic guitar sounds. If you do manage to get typical guitar speakers to produce audible distortion, it will be entirely at lower frequencies - in the displacement-limited regime of operation - and will therefore sound nasty; and the speaker will survive for a minute or less.

11. hippietim

hippietim Member

Sure. I haven't used Logic in a long time but it did work with it. I mostly use a PC these days but I had been using Studio One on the Mac and it worked great with the RME.

stratzrus likes this.
  12. vtgearhead

vtgearhead Silver Supporting Member

There were a few fringe FPGA products that offered analog blocks, but FPGAs are most commonly used to model digital circuits.

iaresee and yeky83 like this.
  13. hippietim

hippietim Member

I'd like to be able to turn on the pitch block to play a 5th up whenever the current pitch is an E or D. All that's left is to convince @cliffc8488 to open up the Axe-FX III to third party macro developers. What could go wrong?

JiveTurkey likes this.
  14. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

Thank you.

15. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

If the AXE III sounds a "little better" than the AXE II XL because of improved algorithms, does the II have enough processing power to run the new algorithms?

16. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

From Cliff:

"It actually does sound a little better. The extra DSP horsepower means that we didn't have to make compromises in some of the algorithms. The amp modeling algorithm is very similar but there's a few places on the II where we had to make compromises to get the algorithm to run within the allotted time. Also the III has a higher internal oversampling rate and a higher bit depth on some calculations (64-bit vs. 40-bit)."

yeky83 likes this.
  17. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Thanks, it may be a while because I need to master the FX8 first but I'll definitely be in touch.

18. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

The 4 inputs and outputs are floating and in blocks just like Fxs, this means unparalleled flexibility with it each preset.

19. Willowdale

Willowdale Member

thanks for that important statement......

slowerhand likes this.
  20. DrakeSequation

DrakeSequation Member

I do not have any modeling gear so I am as uninformed as they come. Yes, I have looked for answers to the following but either have not found answers or want to re-address since this is a new piece of gear. Just so you know, I am a straight guitar+pedal+tube amp guy. My interest in the AXE-FX is as an all-in-one effects platform (guitar+axefx+tube amp) and a direct recording interface for effects+digital amp so I can record without mic'ing an amp.

Can I use the axefx as described above?
    What are IRs and why are they so important?
    Anything else I should know?