Axe FX III

Powderfinger

Gold Supporting Member
Can I use the axefx as described above?
You mean as an effects device into a tube amp? Yes, but it's really overkill for that purpose. It's meant to replace your tube amp.

What are IRs and why are they so important?
They emulate (my technical wording may be off) speakers and cabinets. They're important because they dramatically affect the sound. Note: if you're using the Axe as an effects device into a tube amp or (as many people do) into a separate power amp and guitar cabinet (as opposed to for recording or playing through a FRFR speaker) then you will have cab emulation off and they will be irrelevant.

Anything else I should know?
Tons and tons and tons. Start with the description of the product on the Fractal website. Maybe look at the Axe-fx2 FAQs.

Last edited:

LaXu

I do not have any modeling gear so I am as uninformed as they come. Yes, I have looked for answers to the following but either have not found answers or want to re-address since this is a new piece of gear. Just so you know, I am a straight guitar+pedal+tube amp guy. My interest in the AXE-FX is as an all-in-one effects platform (guitar+axefx+tube amp) and a direct recording interface for effects+digital amp so I can record without mic'ing an amp.

For what you intend, the Axe-Fx might be overblown, especially the Axe-Fx 3. If you already have a pedal and tube amp rig you like, have you considered extending that with for example the new Helix Effects board and maybe something like the Two Notes Captor so you can record it silently and apply an impulse response in the DAW or using a cheap IR pedal like the Mooer Radar?

Note: if you're using the Axe as an effects device into a tube amp or (as many people do) into a separate power amp and guitar cabinet (as opposed to for recording or playing through a FRFR speaker) then you will have cab emulation off and they will be irrelevant.
I noticed the axfx3 has "preamp" in the description. Does that mean I can go directly into a cabinet (guitar+axfx3+cabinet)? Basically using the axfx3 as an effects processor+amp head.

For what you intend, the Axe-Fx might be overblown, especially the Axe-Fx 3. If you already have a pedal and tube amp rig you like, have you considered extending that with for example the new Helix Effects board and maybe something like the Two Notes Captor so you can record it silently and apply an impulse response in the DAW or using a cheap IR pedal like the Mooer Radar?
I am looking at replacing my pedals with the axfx3. I have about $2500 in pedals. It might be overkill, but if the axfx3 will do what I want and I can essentially trade my pedals for it, what's the harm?

Ferg Deluxe

Gold Supporting Member
I noticed the axfx3 has "preamp" in the description. Does that mean I can go directly into a cabinet (guitar+axfx3+cabinet)? Basically using the axfx3 as an effects processor+amp head.
Yes. That capability has existed all the way back to the Axe-Fx Standards.

EDIT: It does not have a power amp included, if that's what you're asking.

Lord N

I noticed the axfx3 has "preamp" in the description. Does that mean I can go directly into a cabinet (guitar+axfx3+cabinet)?
No, you would need a poweramp for it.

I am looking at replacing my pedals with the axfx3. I have about $2500 in pedals. It might be overkill, but if the axfx3 will do what I want and I can essentially trade my pedals for it, what's the harm?
No harm but if something simpler is enough for you, where is the harm in saving money?

RCM78

You need a poweramp between the axfx and the cabinet.

Lord N

On the official Fractal page you will find a link to the Axe FxII manual in pdf form. Starting at page 17 (i believe) are various diagrams on how you can use the Axe II with amps, cabs, mixers, computers, powered monitors, headphones and so on.
The concept will apply to the Axe 3 and other modelers too.

Powderfinger

Gold Supporting Member
There's no built in power amp so you need to go into either a powered speaker(such as FRFR) or into a separate power amp and then guitar cab. Or you can go direct to a mixing board. If so, just need to figure out monitoring.

iaresee

Absolutely. Run in 4-cable-mode (4CM) you get amazing flexibility. Want the delay in front of your amp in one preset and then in the amp’s FX loop in another preset? No problem. I’ve setup a number of artist rigs in this manner and it works very well.

Impulse response — they capture the frequency response of a speaker cabinet over a period of time. It’s a way of modeling speakers and cabinets.

The duck billed platypus is a mammal but it lays eggs.

mysticaxe

I had an AxeFx Standard way back in the day. That was a fun piece of gear. With the Helix and AX8, I almost jumped back in. I guess I should wait to see what they do with the AX8 - I can't see that getting left behind after the III starts shipping... I have a feeling that, in terms of number of units, the AX8 is a big seller for FAS.

Braunzo

I had an AxeFx Standard way back in the day. That was a fun piece of gear. With the Helix and AX8, I almost jumped back in. I guess I should wait to see what they do with the AX8 - I can't see that getting left behind after the III starts shipping... I have a feeling that, in terms of number of units, the AX8 is a big seller for FAS.
It certainly makes more sense for me. I’m waiting as well. I might have to downsize my rig due to injury.

Elric

Supporting Member
Product lifespans aren't what they used to be.
Yes... This is one reason I may build a computer based rig. It's all so modular, replaceable, readily available, etc; and the tones and response are there now. Durability may be an issue for some but there is a lot of upside and backups abound...I'm getting tired of dedicated hardware, I think.

arislaf

Hey guys, where can i find a pdf or manual that says the exact effects that the fx8 has? Thanks in advance

Whatever you may think of your singing Karl you are a killer player! Great playing and tone!
Thanks!

So now that I've established clips cred, it follows that anything I say about the Axe-Fx, Helix, or Kemper should be given more weight than those who have not. :D LOL! I'm a bar room and church guitarist...no pro.

Not that I'll say a whole lot from here on out, except to say that every one of them is a great tool. Also, that I'm very much looking forward to the Axe-Fx III journey. I'm going to invest.

And I'll continue reaping the benefits of my Helix investment too.

Trending Topics