Axe FX III

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stratzrus, Jan 29, 2018.

1. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Member

Out of curiosity, what's with Fractal's reticence toward more conventional marketing and availability? Personally, I don't mind Fractal being a bit of an outlier in the gear buzz factory, but I also get the impression they’re a bit bristly about their IP to their own detriment.

2. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

But so far they are doing great!

3. 108

108 Member

I get the impression the Cliff is simply very controlling of everything involved with FAS products, including distribution, marketing, etc. and going a more conventional route is giving up certain aspects of fine control. He doesn't seem to be making bad decisions by any means though, despite a few hotheads on the internet.

Elric likes this.
  4. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Supporting Member

Does anyone really think he'd sell more by opening up distribution but having to add the resulting ~40% markup to the price of the products?

edit: that would put the AXE-FX III at $3499. Without floorboard.

WeAreOurGear likes this.
  5. Allthesound

Allthesound Silver Supporting Member

The factory direct model worked quite well for Carvin for over 40 years so why not use that model? I don't know of any company's that place value in what they do that are not concerned with their IP.

Johnny Ninefingers and yeky83 like this.
  6. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Quite off topic but still:

You will probably have to install their driver software in order for Logic to see it.
    Some interfaces don't need drivers under OSX, but I think the RMEs do (as they come with quite some additional functionality not covered by "class compliance"). And there's even some that require you to press a certain key combination when booting into Windows or OSX - it'll then load a firmware which is different for either OS (you only need to do that once in case you're not switching operating systems).

stratzrus likes this.
  7. disconnector

disconnector Member

Yeah - but like I told my ex-wife *I* get the new hotness ;)

J/K - I kept the kids and the money as well.

8. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip!

9. voss451

voss451 Member

At this point, the Axe Fx pretty much sells itself. Why put themselves in the position of having to answer to distributors & ad agents when the system they have works perfectly fine. Some people would rather have a business they have complete control over & make a pretty decent living than give up a lot of that control just to make more money.
    Cliff could just be one of those people who is in it to give musicians something they can really use as opposed to just being in it to get rich.

Johnny Ninefingers and lscottk like this.
  10. ramjet

ramjet Member

$2599 to $3k? wow. So will we see a ton of the axefx2 and xl on ebay now and for sale here? I say just dont buy them so the sellers are forced to sell cheaper as time goes by.

:p

11. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

That's wishful thinking. Check the emporium. There are only a few for sale here and on eBay and the prices seem to be holding, no dumping.

12. ramjet

ramjet Member

i think a used one is a hard sell either way. Guys here like xman and others will likely"have to have it" and since the old floorboards arent compatible with the 3 models they will have to rebuy those too. If i was a buyer i would have to get one used cheap enough to warrent not just waiting and saving up a bit to get the 3.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    slowerhand likes this.
  13. Dr.Lee

Dr.Lee Member

I am thinking about picking up a II for my studio once the prices adjust for the new version.

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  14. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

Will the III sound as good as a Kemper finally? The Kemper is still on the first hardware iteration and still sounds better than any version of the Axe. ymmv

WeAreOurGear and stratguitar577 like this.
  15. 108

108 Member

The Axe FX does things the Kemper is nowhere near capable of, beyond simply modeling amplifiers. I've owned both of these products, and no, the Kemper does not sound better. "ymmv", but really, you simply want to stir the pot for no apparent reason. :rolleyes:

16. Willowdale

Willowdale Member

The Axe-FX III will sell like crazy....can’t wait for March. Cliff has a brand new extremely powerful unit to have his way with over the next number of years. He already updated something in the Axe3’s beta firmware today based on a few people’s requests earlier today!!! lol......Good times ahead:cool:

17. bigaust

bigaust Don't give up the ship.

I'd jump in for $2k

18. BjarneDa

BjarneDa Member

Oh that must have take some time

19. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

No matter how hard I try, I can sound like him.

Holzar88 likes this.
  20. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Silver Supporting Member Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!