Axe FX III

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stratzrus, Jan 29, 2018.

1. LaXu

LaXu Member

Didn't know that, makes the HX Fx even more worth the money then.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  2. Lord N

Lord N Member

That's what i wondered too. Footswitch probably.

3. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Silver Supporting Member Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    That's Larry Mitchell (not me).

rsm likes this.
  4. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

Axe-Edit is outstanding, and yes the grid layout is the easiest to work with and comprehend.

For all the great things the Helix interface does, I find its effects chain layout to be awkward, by comparison. It’s not bad, just not my favorite. I’m sure others dig it.

5. Lord N

Lord N Member

Award winning apparently... :rolleyes:

6. iaresee

iaresee Supporting Member

Well. Can post another clip tonight.

nicolasrivera likes this.
  7. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

I honestly don't know how you could find the Helix path system confusing. It's essentially the same thing as the Axe Edit grid, but with some of the first routing steps taken care for you.

MixMinisterMike likes this.
  8. Ferg Deluxe

I don’t know what that means.

9. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

From what I understand, the Axe-FX II has won quite a few awards from various magazines, and by extension so has Axe-Edit.

10. Ferg Deluxe

I didn’t say it was confusing. I said it was awkward. For me. I had to look at it and play with it to figure out what exactly was going on. I still don’t care for the loopy wires look. A single glance at the Axe-Fx grid and I knew exactly what was going on. And again I’ll state, I’m sure other people feel differently.

lscottk, JiveTurkey and MIJLOVER like this.
  11. James Freeman

James Freeman Member

Get your latest AxeFx to play Aint Talkin' Bout Love... BORING.
    I really miss quality guitar music, and I don't care if it was recorded using a DS-1 or AxeFX 4.

12. Lord N

Lord N Member

My comment was in jest because a certain user got hung up on that bit earlier in this thread even though he himself said that he wouldn't buy an Axe Fx II/III.
    Although, he isn't entirely wrong....

13. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Supporting Member

Axe grid lets you move in and out of the paths or link them in ways you cannot with Helix.

japanmoran likes this.
  14. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

Yeah I don't dispute that.

15. rsm

rsm Member

I was going to say, sounds like Lil Wayne's been practicing ;)

j/k. :p

16. AZG

AZG Member

I have an AX8 and Helix Native and I do find the Fractal grid more flexible and easier to understand and work with. I think there is good reason Boss also adopted a grid design for the GT-1000. Nevertheless, I still really like Native.

17. themass

themass Member

I just hope there’s a effort to make more pre made effects. I don’t have the interest to learn how to create complex effects from scratch - I’d rather pay for someone to do the legwork. There’s a fair amount stuff floating around the fractal forum but it all depends so much on if you have the same firmware and platform. Hopefully they make it easier to share and/or purchase effects. Not all of us want to learn how to reverse engineer complex effects and build from scratch

Bradmeister, Hoth and Ferg Deluxe like this.
  18. Lord N

Lord N Member

Huh? You don't have to build effects from scratch on any of the Fractal models.

japanmoran likes this.
  19. hippietim

hippietim Member

Well, that's not entirely true. There's some things that are built in to other units as ready to use effects that you have to construct on your own with the Fractal models. A good example of this is the Slow Gear.

20. Elric

Elric Member

If it makes you feel any better it was very counter intuitive in Native coming from the Axe and Amplifire (and a bunch of lesser stuff including line 6 past devices).

I had been used to the unlimited connectivity on the AFX grid and it was really goofy and limiting to suddenly have stuff grayed out on one path but not on another, etc. It may make more sense on the device... and navigation and all that may be easy but I could see how in a preset, being used to completely arbitrary routing along lines with the only constraint being sum total of block flavors, that the Helix stuff makes you feel like you are doing more mental arithmetic and in the back of my head it immediately feels more limiting.

TBH, I have never owned another guitar unit that required me to think about the underlying architecture like that (the limits along one DSP path versus another), ever. I would find this a barrier to use if I ever moved to the hardware unit. Navigation is not as big a deal to me. I can deal with buttons and dials and menus.

IMHO.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    atquinn, stratzrus and Elantric like this.