Axe FX III

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stratzrus, Jan 29, 2018.

1. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

Sounds like they finally fixed the dropout problem. That was the biggest reason I went away from Fractal.

2. Hoth

Hoth Silver Supporting Member

I echo a lot of the comments already. I am really happy with the Ax8 and cannot imagine anything "realer." But Cliff is always pushing the envelope and I am sure before long he will figure out a way to use all of the processing power if he has not already.

I can't believe the price point this is coming in at. With everyone all over the music world hiking prices to insane levels, to price this at the AxeII level is pretty amazing. Competition is indeed an incredible force to propel us forward. Kudos to the L6 Helix and Kemper teams for their incredible products to push us all forward.

I have been choosing this last month between the Helix and the Ax8. I think though what I am going to do is sell the Ax8 and use my Helix as a floorboard to control the Axe III. This gives me about a month to put together the money.

I sold my soul for rock n' roll!

3. Chris@TGP

Chris@TGP Supporting Member

The question is: Does this need a Pete Thorn video to sell? I think *not*!

:D

4. mattball826

mattball826 Member

when you jump from Helix, KPA, to Axe, tonality differences are certainly there. Many Axe users like the darker more cleaned up recorded tone, and I like it more open with the ability to clean it up if I wanted. Very obvious differences with Mesa tones among those 3.

I find that those who play just a BE or Marshall tone 80's goo with loads of fx, then the differences are minor. Since most gravitate towards that Marshall or BE tone, with extra gain it's hard to notice as much. I'm not the only one that describes the darker tone of FAS products. Many people did, and that was a primary reason many fled FAS once other co's introduced IR loading capability and improved their amp models.

SinglecutGuy likes this.
  5. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

It looks cool... It's interesting to see how much the industrial design of the Helix has influenced all segments of this market now. I think it's funny that when the AX8 came out, Cliff said the reason they didn't do a color screen was they "put the money into where it mattered" or something like that... Someone must have convinced him having color mattered... :)

6. LaXu

LaXu Member

Wouldn't any perceived darker sound be just a few knob tweaks to fix on any of the units?

7. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Made in China maybe? Not that it matters since just about all the parts, electronics, boards are.

8. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Not necessarily..... it's like trying to fix photos in post when you could have just had a better lens. The more that is there to start with, the better. IMO YMMV

9. seigmen

seigmen Member

Cliff said $2499.

10. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Congrats to the Fractal team! Well done!

11. mattball826

mattball826 Member

If that MFC has a color screen it may be more, but otoh, many of the products are being made over seas, so they can sell for less.

12. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Yeah, I think its more of a comment about the user than the tech.

At some point we have to get beyond the "does it sound as good as an amp" thing and start to realize that these things do that and a million new things. We need more musical innovators to break the mold of guitar/amp and use this new tech to do something new that could never be done before with tubes.

13. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Green Screen meh (dated dated dated)... bigger color screen is moar cooler

14. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu Member

holy ****. If I had money, Id buy this immediately! Seems like Fractal are a generation ahead of everyone else. I can't wait to see what they do with this beast. Not that I'm dissatisfied with the Helix at all. I must own this one day!

Gearzilla likes this.
  15. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Helix fan boi here.

I think a lot of people are going to say this is a reaction to Helix.

Maybe not. Because something this well-thought out was probably in the works (at least the early stages) before Helix showed up, if his cycle is anything like Line 6s

Even if it’s not... DAY um... that is a FANASTIC feature set.

Not going to buy one, can’t afford it, but I bet it does my whole “two-voice” guitar thing AWESOME!

I don’t think it competes with Kemper (totally different approach) or Line 6 (totally different price point)... Fractal is, again, in a class (price-class that is...) by themselves... (still love my Helix, tho...)

16. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I'll probably sell my Ultra and Axe II to help finance getting a III but will keep my FX8 to use with my tube amps.

The III really looks too good to pass on.

Elric, MIJLOVER and Gearzilla like this.
  17. Yek

Yek Member

A simple A/B comparison test, like the one with Larry Mitchell, through a real cab or an IR, demonstrates that the models aren't darker than their real-life equivalents.

vinceh, JLee, iaresee and 1 other person like this.
  18. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Looks cool, but the most exciting thing about it will be it depressing Axe-FX II prices a bit on the used market.

That's not being glib. Grabbing one of the glut of Axe-FX II units that will hit the secondhand market (maybe for $1300, who knows) and pairing it with my $800 Helix LT as a partner and floor controller gives me all the everythings that I would hope for from this Axe-FX III.

19. Skinny1

Skinny1 Supporting Member

I love the competition in the digital modeling field right now. It's driving the innovation and we as consumers can sit back and enjoy the spoils of it all.

20. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Also, I applaud the color screen, but I hope it brings some on-unit UI optimization/improvements as well.