Axe FX III

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stratzrus, Jan 29, 2018.

1. LaXu

LaXu Member

I hope some of this trickles down to the Axe-Edit version for the 2 as well.

Keg8605 likes this.
  2. GoBeavs68

GoBeavs68 Member

The CPU bump is awesome, but was I the only one who felt like that (and the ram increase) was the only major inprovement over the II?

Advisable Owl and stratguitar577 like this.
  3. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

Looks tasty. Looking forward to seeing and hearing the demo's when they come out.

i wonder if they'll include a Klon and a HM-2 model this time :p

4. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Maybe, I don't know. I certainly didn't. The effects have been upgraded to take advantage of the new horsepower, new color display, 2,048 factory cabs, 16 channels via USB, 6x14 grid in Axe-Edit, etc.

Genghis likes this.
  5. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

My Axe FX II XL is now on sale locally.:aok

MIJLOVER likes this.
  6. hippietim

hippietim Member

It has the Klon III and HM-2XL+

7. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Yeah... interesting. I've owned all those units too and my favorite amp is a Suhr Badger 30 and tend to lean to Marshall plexi flavor amps and for clean I like Fender Deluxe tones.... so I'm not into dark amp tones or polished recorded tones either. I have no issues with getting tones out of the AX8 that aren't overly dark and I haven't had to run EQ's or put the EQ on the amp black at weird settings.

Again I don't play with loads effects at all unless it's praise style music that likes washed out reverbs and delays. Not an 80's guy at all when it comes to tones I like. For my personal tones I just like a raw edge of break up amp tones with a pedal boost and some delay for some leads. Still not having an issue with the tones being too dark.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    mattball826, Gearzilla and mikah912 like this.
  8. Willowdale

Willowdale Member

it's go
    It will be awesome.....no doubt!

MIJLOVER and Gearzilla like this.
  9. markstullkc

markstullkc Member

So I have an AX8 that I love, what would this get me? Better sounds??

rsm likes this.
  10. Gene46

Gene46 Member

Looks like the first salvo in the next hardware wars have been fired. I’m excited to see Kemper’s reaction. Now I won’t have to buy v1 hardware.

11. EverlastingLight

EverlastingLight Member

I thought it was established that the perceived darkness has to do with Cliffs personal preference of IRs on presets and the fact that axe cabs have some amount of high cut already in place while the Helix you have to do it yourself?

MixMinisterMike likes this.
  12. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I agree.... and it's the company's marketing strategy that perpetuates it so it can be stopped from the top.

13. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus Member

Was surprised by this!

Again doesn't look tonnes different, just with a new display and more power obviously. I really like the look of those new footswitches as well.
    I'm currently still using a Pod HD500 for my modelling needs (which I've got some decent sounds out of), but have been looking to upgrade for awhile (was undecided between Axe fx II and helix).

But as a non Axe fx owner (have used and recorded with one) this adds another option, especially if it brings down the price of the II on the used market to bring it more in line with new Helix price. Question is will paying more new for a III at somepoint be that much more beneficial than a cheaper II used.

I just thought that I wouldn't need any new gear for awhile too (just got a MK5 25, 1x12 zilla and compact board for portable/smaller gigs)

14. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Unclear at this time. I don't see Cliff maintaining two separate engines for firmware development.

15. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

16. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

See, one thing you could do is have a start-up wizard type of thing... ask the user some basic questions and configure the tone of the amps based on that.

17. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

I think if anything this is going to open up some room for Fractal Audio in advancements in the cab/speaker processing department—which should be a fairly big part of the modeling game over the next few years.

LordByron, stratzrus and mikah912 like this.
  18. james...

james... Supporting Member

I'll be waiting on the floor unit. My AX8 sounds great. Can't imagine this will be so much of an upgrade in sound quality that I'll make the jump to rack.

19. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Silver Supporting Member Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    Awesomeness. I sold my FX8 this week but kept the 2 FV1 expression pedals just because I figured this would come. I don't know if I can afford it. But, I signed up for the wait list anyway :D

Time to go looking in the back yard...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    rsm and JiveTurkey like this.
  20. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

I'm glad they've included a Real-Time Analyzer, and I'm really interested to hear the updated effects, namely reverb, chorus, drives and delay.