Axe FX III

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stratzrus, Jan 29, 2018.

1. FPFL

FPFL Member

its an oversimplification. The III is a different architecture than the II and can do things that many people haven't tried / thought of yet. Simple CPU comparisons are misleading, that's what I was laughing at. Its too early for people, other than Cliff and the lucky few, to really compare them and it will take more than 1 vector to know it.

2. Lord N

Lord N Member

I thought you were taking the screenshots literal, that's why i asked. ;)

3. AminorZmajor

AminorZmajor Supporting Member

My bad if that was your meaning. I agree it way to early to tell anything in regard to the III at this point but I can verify when I got one in my rack..... Might not be till summer as the wait list looks crazy. LOL...

4. yeky83

yeky83 Member

Hm... OK. Honestly, I was expecting more DSP headroom even with higher cab/effect modes in III.
    But I'll take your word for it until I get my III :p

Just saw nicolas's edit:
    What was the point of you posting the exact same preset with both II & III, if not to compare the processing power?

Jose7822 likes this.
  5. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

Tha point was to see what was my CPU usage in the XL, but i was not aware they where still in a beta stage of the firmware, so optimizations are undergoing and not finalized.

yeky83, benifin and FPFL like this.
  6. benifin

benifin Supporting Member

Fair enough too ........... and doubtlessly it will improve ..... BUT ..... Fractal have made a big point and BIG graph on the Axe 3 website that it has ~ 2.5 x the cpu cycles / cpu "number crunching" power of the XL+ .... so there is a not-so-subtle impression being marketed that this this will "run" ~ 2.5x what the XL+ currently does ..... yet super early snippets seem to suggest this is not the case ?!?!?

Ben

Jose7822 likes this.
  7. yeky83

yeky83 Member

There's only ~1 week left before the ship date, so hopefully optimizations can be made in that time... Either way, excited for the III.

8. iaresee

iaresee Supporting Member

It’s not like things are fixed at ship date. Fractal products continue to evolve long after they are released.

fretworn and yeky83 like this.
  9. Willowdale

Willowdale Member

Has the ship date been confirmed lately?

We’ll see if it really makes the March 1st waiting list release date....

10. Yek

Yek Member

Always the dilemma... People want sneak peeks. And as soon as those are given, people will start to complain and raise questions, even though the product hasn't been released yet. No reason for suspicions. BTW, more power doesn't mean that every bit of that extra power directly translates to available CPU in a preset.

In this case a Looper block was present in the demo'd preset, which bumped the CPU to an erronuous high level, because the Looper is still in development.
    Chris (who made the video) reports that removing the Looper brings down CPU considerably.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    MIJLOVER, Gearzilla, fretworn and 3 others like this.
  11. Lord N

Lord N Member

Unbelievable that people get hung up on the CPU power display.

12. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

The beta firmware still has lots of asserts and instrumentation for debug purposes. The looper, for example uses something like 12% CPU with the instrumentation and asserts enabled. With this stuff disabled (as would be the case in release firmware) the CPU usage drops to 4%.

While I don't expect this kind of improvement on all effects suffice it to say that the beta firmware CPU usage is not representative of the release version.

Furthermore we always put quality before quantity. The new reverb algorithms use more CPU than those from the Axe-Fx II would use but they sound better. Also the reverb defaults to high-quality mode whereas the II defaults to normal-quality mode. The drive block in the III uses a higher oversampling ratio and double-precision filters in some places compared to the II. The cabinet block can process up to four IRs simultaneously whereas the II defaults to one. Etc., etc., etc. Our clientele values quality first and none of the beta testers have yet to encounter a scenario where they have run out of CPU, and that's with the instrumented beta firmware.

13. Hoth

Hoth Silver Supporting Member

Thanks a lot Cliff for all the hard work. Very cool to see these details. I'm running an Ax8 (Downgraded from an XL as the core amp modeling is most important to me) now and the amp modeling is still most important to me. Can you say anything about the modeling you see coming for the III? Is there another epiphone/quantum leap in the works?

Edit: Just realized this is my 1,000th post! How cool is it that it is directed to Cliff? Fate.

14. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

It has improved. Dramatically? No. The beta testers are reporting that the difference is noticeable and positive. When I get some time I'm going to see how much of it I can back-port to the II but right now all resources are focused on our early March shipping goal. Unfortunately the II doesn't have much spare CPU left for the amp modeling so I don't know what is possible.

MIJLOVER, Gearzilla, fretworn and 4 others like this.
  15. Hoth

That is pretty pretty cool. I am starting to jones for the III but maybe I can save money not getting the MFC (but of course I probably will). When the III was first announced I was like "What, me need that? I've got the Ax8 and Kemper which are totally great and already overkill. The III's got nothing I really need." But I put myself on the waiting list just in case. Then as we get closer to shipping date I'm like "Well maybe I can check it out and move it on if it's not that great." And now I'm like "WHEN IS THIS THING GOING TO SHIP? WHERE AM I ON THE WAITLIST? WHEN AM I GOING TO GET THE EMAIL? I NEED THIS!" :facepalm

Bishop5150, Yek and vinceh like this.
  16. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

Thanks for chiming in, Cliff. I know this is a rarity for you to post outside your forum, but it's appreciated.

17. fretworn

fretworn Member

Agreed. Truth over speculation.

mikah912 and ejecta like this.
  18. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Yep! Hope he'll hang out here more.

mikah912 likes this.
  19. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

You know the MFC won't work with the III, right?

20. Hoth

Or whatever the new floorboard is called.