Axe FX... is it for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Well, enough great players on TGP have weighed in and overwhelmingly state that the Axe FX is killer. I'm about to part with my amp and I am much more into direct recording at this point. I have a few questions about the Axe FX:
    1. Is this simple and straightforward to plug directly into my preamp/sound card for direct to disk recording?
    2. I have another smaller amp on the way BUT, if I ever wanted to try and gig with something like this what would I need? (Axe FX + power amp + cab)? I have an Alesis RA-100 100watt stereo power amp that is powering nearfield monitors right now, but I believe I could pull this out and use it to power an 8 ohm extension cab (I have a peavey sheffield 112sx)
    3. How hard (or easy) is this thing to dial in good, solid, amps with slighteffects? I can definitely geek out and tweak, but for this price I'm assuming there is some prebuilt stuff in the box that sounds really good to start off with?
    4. How long is the current waiting list (to be honest, longer is better as I would have to save up more cash post amp sale)
    5. The price is steep... someone mentioned something in the past like the $1750 is msrp, but it sells for closer to $1450? Is this true?
    I know there are tons of threads on this (most of which I have read and will re-read but I need to make a final decision on my current amp) VERY SOON.
    Feel free to PM me with more details - Many Thanks!

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

1. Yes
    2. You can probably use your amp (if it has an FX loop) that's coming and use the 4-cable method (go check the AFX Manual), that way you don't need to invest in anything else.
    3. Very simple. Check the AFX board and the AFX Wiki for more details.
    4. Waiting list is still long, but production is increasing.
    5. You get a code for money off if you use the waiting list. Available immediately if you pay full price.

And yes, definately read through the threads, it will answer all these questions in more detail.

EP

3. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

1) Axe-fx recording thread http://www.setbb.com/axefx/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=bd055bc23541ac019caff9ffdb471ece&mforum=axefx

2) There are literally dozens of ways of running the rig. Some use it strickly for the effects into a their rigs. Other use a tube power amp and guitar cab turning off the power amp and speaker sims. You can use a solid state power amp and use the power amp sims and just turn off the speaker sims or a lot of people use and FRFR set up by using a high quality powered monitor like a QSC or JBL and use all the axe-fx has to offer.

3) I have no idea. I have been on the wait list for almost 6 months for an ultra.

4) Fractal Audio just moved to a new facility and production is supposed to ramp way up and the wait list is going to shrink.

5) My understanding is that there is a $400 rebate for waiting on the list or you can pay full pop and get it now. I also understand that you have a 30 day trail period that if you don't like it you can send it back.

I hope to here from them before the end of the month. I am planning on building an FR rig

4. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...I don't think it's expensive at all...I've sold all my amps and pedals already...I'm using a D'Pergo>Axe-Fx Ultra>Carvin DCM150 (60 watts mono @ 8 ohms)>Two-Rock 1x12 Sig Cab...cab sims are off, power amp sims are on...it sounds killer...

...you'll need to read the manual and you should join the Axe-Fx forum...then you will know what it can and can't do...there's not a lot it can't do...:AOK

5. Gasp100

Just asked to be added to the list and I will be joining the forum very soon... this is going to fill a huge gap in my gear - I guess I'll need to sell my RNC because it's taking up space that the AxeFX is going to fill in my DAW rack. Thanks!

6. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

stratzrus

7. Gasp100

Should I be expecting a confirmation mail or anything from their sales department? Kind of like, you are number 2000000 on the waiting list:(? Or, just let it ride? Definitely no rush but I want to make sure my email doesn't just go off into the ether :confused:

8. javajunkie

javajunkie Member

I don't think they send out a confirmation but the will tell you if you ask. They don't divulge numbers. They did say the waiting list, if all goes as planned, ought to be gone by the end of this quarter.

9. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Let it go for awhile.

There's sort of an unoffical 'where they're at' thread on the AFX board, and you can start to get an idea on how close you're getting. Like's been said, they should be knocking out the waiting list pretty quickly now, so the end is in sight!

EP

10. mctallica1

mctallica1 Member

I emailed them asking to be put on the list to buy a second Axe Fx (standard) the other day and got a confirmation email stating I had been put on the list, but no information on where I am on said list.

FWIW, I have sold every last piece of tube amp gear I owned (well...I am SPAMMING my VHT 2/50/2) since getting the Standard and don't miss any of it one bit. This thing sounds incredible and feels just as good IMHO.

I was originally running it through my 2/50/2 but bought a Carvin DCM600 to try out and think it sounds even better without the tubes coloring the tone. I may even make the leap to powered monitors to use the cabinet modeling too!

11. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Try it!

I bailed on my 20/20 because it made the models all seem sort of the 'same'. No such problems with first the 'clean' poweramp, then with the Powered Monitors...oh the madness.

12. examiner

examiner Member

Within the hour? They are known for superior customer service, but when you consider the office staff consists of Danielle (the spouse of the main man)...within the hour may be a little demanding. My email did get shuffled to their spam folder, but I did get an acknowledgement within a couple days.

And, to clarify.....you DO NOT pay in advance. You don't pay until your # comes up, and your unit is ready to be shippped. And on top of that, they let you try it for 30 days, and if you don't like it, send it back for a full refund...no hassles, no questions asked.

Getting on the list really only means you get an "opportunity to buy". You can always say "no" when they contact you that a unit is ready to ship. No hard feelings if that's your decision. So in reality, you aren't doing them that much of a favor by putting your name on the list.

Just my opinion anyways....

13. mctallica1

mctallica1 Member

You don't pay anything until your number comes up on the list.

14. mctallica1

mctallica1 Member

I am seriously considering it.

If I do make this move, I need to decide which powered monitors.:jo

15. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I reveived an email notice that my name had come up, and that I had 5 days to respond and purchase the unit so they could offer it to the next person in line if I had changed my mind.

I responded online and gave credit card info on day five, and the next morning I received a confirming email. I received the unit 7 days later.

I have no complaints at all - excellent customer service.

Oh, GuitarTone - this post isn't directed at you at all- it's just noting the subject of communication that's inherent in your post. I give Fractal Audio high marks for communication.

Dana O.

16. javajunkie

javajunkie Member

Lance, you can say whatever about the axe-fx, but the support you get from Fractal is better than ANY company I have dealt with. I have reported bugs and had them fixed that day! Cliff bends over backwards to help customers.

The waiting list is just that, a list to wait. Nothing down, no commitment.
    I recieved my Ultra 2 days after I paid.