Axe-Fx Owners - What is Redwirez ?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by BSHARP, Dec 17, 2009.

1. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

For Dummies!!! I did a search at the Fractal Forum and that did not help.

2. zion

zion Supporting Member

http://www.redwirez.com/

What do we do?

First stop on the road to affordable audio nirvana -- we've captured the essence of some classic speaker, cabinet, and mic combinations run through some legendary gear and made it available to you as an ever growing collection of high-quality impulse responses for use in your own recordings.

For the technical among us, an impulse response (or "IR") realistically captures the characteristics, both in frequency and time, of an entire signal chain, including the sampled speaker, the microphone, the room it's in, the power amp, preamp -- even the A/D converters. Put another way, it'll capture the unique frequency curve of the speaker, any phase smearing inherent in the mechanical operation of the speaker, any cabinet resonance, the frequency response and resonance of the mic, the sound of the room, and any frequency or phase related coloration introduced by the power amp, preamp, and converters and apply that captured sound to any audio you pass through it...

You can purchase these IR's, up them into your Ax-Fx, and enjoy even more tools for tone.

3. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

How do you go about installing the IR into the Axe-FX (sorry if this has been discussed) Is there a written procedure?

4. Sixstring

Sixstring Member

5. Ben R

Ben R Member

Not that I'm an expert by any stretch, but for those of you who are new at this whole concept, here's another way of describing Redwirez IR's in layman's terms: An IR (Impulse Response) is a sampling of how sound behaves with a given thing. In the world of guitar speakers and cabinets, it's capturing a sample of how a guitar speaker or cabinet shapes or alters a sound signal that's passed through it. It's basically a snapshot of what a speaker / cabinet does to the signal being sent through it. You sample the effect it has on the sound and then use that "impulse response" digitally to apply that same effect to the sound that goes through your processor or equipment. So... for the AXE FX, for example, an IR is another way to say "cabinet simulation" or "speaker simulation", but it's one based on capturing the characteristics of the real thing.

The concept goes hand in hand with playing your guitar through a "Full Range Flat Response" (FRFR) sound system. Specifically, that usually means listening to it direct (using NO guitar cabinets) into a system with the end result being monitors, PA speakers, or any sound system output that has tweeters in it. This is obvious as the point of an impulse response in the AXE FX is to not need a traditional guitar cabinet. Guitar cabinets don't have tweeters. The AXE FX guitar speaker / cabinet "modeling" (or these "impulse responses") in the unit essentially simulates what happens to an amplified guitar signal as it passes through a traditional guitar speaker / cabinet, which (again) has NO tweeters. It cuts those high frequencies which are normally never heard - as a result of guitar cabinets not having them. The impulse responses from different cabinets do this in slightly different ways and with slightly different sound frequencies, which gives each one its unique sound.

So, again, people who say they're running their system "FRFR" (Full Range, Flat Response) are obviously not using traditional guitar cabinets. They're usually using powered monitors of some kind (with tweeters in them) and going direct into the PA system - or, they're going direct into a recording device with their line level signal right out of the AXE FX, which has the cabinet simulation turned "on". These simulators are using the various stock or custom impulse responses that people make to simulate what those cabinets do to (in this case) a guitar signal.

You can download them free, buy them, or even make your own. Redwirez IR's are now being regarded as being among the best sounding ones out there. People are now buying them and finding ways to mix different ones together to come up with even more sounds.

6. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

I haven't looked into them yet although there are tons of excellent RW clips floating around. Partly because it's still confusing as hell to me, and partly because I'm getting by with the stock cabs just fine.

7. mattball826

mattball826 Member

so far for me, the only ones I like are the royer based samples

most of the others are not so chummy