Axe-Fx ... really this good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SQUAREHEAD, Oct 13, 2008.

1. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

2. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

3. SQUAREHEAD

Wow!
    Do you have one, Eric?
    Keith

4. ericb

I've had one since either the 1st or 2nd batch was sold a year or 2 back. I was 1 of the maybe the 1st 10 guys speaking about them on the net. I can't imagine a better 'tool' . With that said , I have lots of amps from Oranges, old Marshalls, Engls, Ceriatones,etc that I LOVE and won't get rid of them... . There are lots of guys who say this just made them sell all their amps, and I'm definitely NOT 1 of those guys.. But , if you were to ask me if it is money well spent, you bet, the Axe-Fx is incredible. I did not like the presets.. Some guys love them. But they're very easy to just make your own , and then within 30 minutes , more than likely if you like tweaking digital rack gear, you'll come up with loads of stuff you like. That Trainwreck demo on youtube you pointed to , is fine , but it actually feels absolutely fantastic once you delve into it. The FEEL is definitely there. SO , you might ask , since I'm saying this does hundreds of things great, why wouldn't I just sell my amps? Well my amps are great too.. I've taken a long time buying them and they're VERY familiar to me. . I've used pedals since the late 70's and had tube amps since then, and will stick with them at my gigs. Someday I might start using the Axe-Fx at gigs. I just need to make sure I have everything set up ahead of time , as otherwise I get neurotic about tweaks, and when you have to sing some, be responsible for pa gear, and also be an only guitarist, I don't need more to worry about! ANYWAY, for many guys, if they know how to tweak , set up their midi switchers and expression pedals,etc and then just go at it, the Axe-Fx is as good as it gets.

Eric

5. SQUAREHEAD

Really!
    Wow...So if it was all tweaked the way you wanted it, you'd be happy with it live? You can
    save quite a few diff tones and call them up via midi?
    That's awesome as I know you have some very cool gear Eric!
    I would not be buying it for recording... JUst live gigs.
    Does it have that nice thump/feel thru a good tube power amp and a nice old 4x12, Eric?

Keith

6. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I had one.....

ZERO fun for me to figure out patches/programming.

I would much rather tweak amp/mic settings and at that, I was still more stoked on my old school results.

Live, I have NO problems with my old school amps, as long as I use the right amp for the job.

Emee

7. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

While that clip doesn't sound bad it doesn't sound like a wreck. I don't think I would have pegged it as a modeler thats for sure. Pretty impressive. How do they FEEL?

8. ericb

Hey there, I'm sure you've read lots of the zillions of posts at Rig Talk, HRI , here, etc.. There will be conflicting opinions with every piece of gear , and the world would suck if all of us just agreed on everything and sounded exactly the same! That said, I haven't used it live.. Why? It's basically what I said above , as I'm sooooo familiar with using amps and pedalboards. . I've actually used a Tremoverb and a pedalboard for almost all of my gigs for quite some time. Could I use the Axe-FX ? For sure. Would it sound as good? YEP if not better. . . do I trust myself to set it up as perfectly or as easily or as familiarly as my amp/pedalboard and to be able to QUICKLY tweak my patches at gigs? NOPE... :) that's just me... Other guys can easily do it, or would just set it up right to begin with . .

As for the thump ,etc through a 4x12, I've found pretty much nothing has the exact feel/thump as my old Superlead or 2204.. But once again , just because something's a bit different that doesn't mean it's not as good. It's a bit different.. Could you tweak the power amp parameters, and/or cab emulations,etc to make it sound exactly the same? I bet you can get damn close. . Are you able to do that , or do you want to ? That's the question!! The Axe-Fx allows all kinds of that stuff, but you have to really know how and want to .

As for power amps, I actually only own an old Engl stereo 100 watter , and an Engl EL84 35 watter stereo amp , and I've used it mostly thru the 35 watter.. It sounds really great through there. I don't have any desire to buy a FRFR speaker or solid state amps as it kills using really nice tube amps.

Being that you're in Canada, it might be hard to find a neighbor to check one out ,but ask around. Someone might have one and let you check it out.. That's the only way to find out if it's right for you for 'live' purposes. I really only have good things to say about it, but if someone really is accustomed/familiar to 6 knob amps and that's really all they want with a few pedals, probably the Axe-FX isn't necessary . Have fun!

Eric

9. digital jams

digital jams Member

Keith,

Gainfreak now has one and he has stated he can cut clips that would fool anyone.

That is all I needed to hear......well and Degenaro's clips.

Scott

10. ericb

IF you guys are really into just seeing that the Axe-FX can sound like 'real' tube amps, it really isn't a problem making it sound like that. .It can do much more than that!!! It's all a question of whether someone wants to really take advantage of its features, and if someone really wants lots of different tones.. I mean for the past 20 years of gigs I've used a variety of Engls, Marshalls, Demeters, Fenders, Thd's, Orange, etc at my gigs. I then will use a Pedalboard with maybe 3 types of od's/distortions , 1 chorus, 1 delay , (or rack delay) and 1 trem pedal and 1 phaser. This is what I've used for any hard rock band, originals or covers. The Axe-Fx offers that and maybe 500 other options that 80% sound friggin great. I tend to get a bit overwhelmed with that , and think I need to use it all ,when really all you need is what you typically use. THEN if/when you get adventurous or have time on your hands (I NEVER have extra time these days) , you can delve into programming different stuff on it. ANyway , I realize for you guys who depend on internet clips etc that Ralph and Ed are great players and they're credible for you guys.. (in fact Ed's 1 of my favorite guitarists of ANYONE) However, it's much better to try something for yourselves. The damn thing is still selling USED for almost new prices and it's worth buying one just to use for a month and make up your own mind! :)

ERIC

11. digital jams

digital jams Member

I hear you Eric and believe it, after hearing the insane amount of configurations that one can achieve I am a believer. I know guys dumping big rack rigs and going with a 6 space rack and a 2x12 for their live rigs.

Concerning Ralph and Ed and clips, I listen more to their words than the clips but will admit I was not too keen on the axe-fx until Ed scored one and started to post stuff. I have not heard anything from Ralph but I respect his word and ears.

WOuld love to see older standards go below $1000 and I will pick one up mostly for the effects routing and the sims will be a nice extra bonus.

12. ericb

Hey , I have 1 of the oldest standards (Vintage Blackface! hahaha) so I don't ever want to see the price go down , but I do understand! I buy almost everything 'used' for music, studio and pa gear, but for some reason when these came out and Gary /Drizzt posted a few clips and then Adam Cook did his demo tune , and I read a bunch of Cliff's posts I just had this gut feeling that this would be a state-of-the-art deal and bought it brand new. A few times over the years I've bought digital things new, and instantly they went down 500.00 or 1000.00. .. As I watched the price of the Axe-Fx remain constant the first few years and watched everyone else start to like it, and watched Cliff just pump more and more into it, I was psyched.. I never plan on selling it, but even so , it was cool to watch a company keep improving something and not cut the price coming out with new models over and over again

Ed , as we both know can make anything sound great, but also he's like a Steve Vai and I'm sure he can also pull all kinds of stuff out of the Axe Fx that us 'mere mortals' can't!

ERIC

13. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

KW,

here is a crap clip of the axe fx at barely audible levels that I recorded with my hand held digital . The strings of the guitar are louder than the amplified tone as is the annoying switching on the guitar pu selectors but the tone of what I was going for is not at all bad for something I could talk over and sounded full and singing in the room. I really think the thing could sound way better after I learn to use it,

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=880044&content=music

I am selling off 7 of my prized amps and keeping three plus the Axe FX. Not that the AFX is better, I need money and will still have some great tube amps and the AFX is a great unit in it's own right.

14. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

You guys are tooo damn nice!!!
    Anyways, I haven't sold any amps because of the Axe...however most of them except my THD Flexi proto went into storage.
    I've done the majority of August/September (30+ shows) on the Axe and I'm still stoked about how it sounds and feels. Given my set-up is a bit convaluted it rules for me.
    It's guitar into the Axe, with the ability to run a loaded down head into it along side the si ms. Then run the cab sims to a mixer, where i mix them with the signal from the miked Celestion 65 speakers in my THD 2x12.
    Anyways, this is something that;s all Axe...
    http://eddegenaro.com/album/Desktop/confirmpremastermix2.mp3
    and here's the rig...

[​IMG]

15. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Sounds great Ed!!

16. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Hey Steve how are you?

Let me know what amps you are offloading!

Thanks,
    Emee

17. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

PM sent!

18. SQUAREHEAD

Wow!

Nice SS !
    Ya, you can hear the strings, it's so quiet and yet it sings nice!
    I gotta try one of these.

Thanx Steve,

Kw

19. digital jams

digital jams Member

Hot damn a Snider clip!!!!!!

Great playing man, on the edge and really digging in with some serious tude :dude

20. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Member

Thanks. I need to learn how to dial the box in yet but it's a cool little unit. hehehe.:RoCkIn