Axe Fx..... The FEEL is in there!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mctallica1, Jan 13, 2008.

1. mctallica1

mctallica1 Member

First off, I am sure this thing will NOT be for everyone...it is fairly complicated to get what you are looking for (at least to me it is). BUT, it sounds incredible, which I was expecting.

The thing that has surprised me is that it FEELS great to play. I was hoping for this, but not expecting it.

I am not going to say the models sound exactly lik the amps they emulate because that really depends on the amps...hell 10 of the same amps in the same room sound different too!

But.... they do get the vibe of most. The one that I was/am extremely disapointed in is the Powerball model. I think it sounds like crap, but maybe I haven't figured it out yet.

Interestingly, the Das Metal (VH4) is one of the models I really like and I didn't like either version of the real thing I played.

I am running it through my VHT 2/50/2 and Diezel cab and Voodoo Amps cab and just ordered a Carvin DCM600 to see if I can go without any tubes, but am seriously considering ordering a couple good powered monitors from one of the houses with a good return policy to try out.

Again, not going to be for everyone, but this thing delivers the goods.

2. mctallica1

mctallica1 Member

Hmmm I thought at least one person would tell me how wrong I was because it has no tubes:crazy:BEER

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

"You are wrong. It cannot feel right because it has no tubes. Of course, I've never heard on in person, but based on the clips I have heard...."

;):D

4. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Well, you know what they say about clips .... They're just clips. (GRIN)

Congrats, Dana O.

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Hee hee!

Love ya' smart-asses!

EP

6. mctallica1

mctallica1 Member

You don't count:horse:roll

7. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

All I can say is the Axe FX has saved me lot's of $$, I was always buying the lastest hardware and software emulators, and selling them at a loss, but haven't bought any digital modeler since the Axe FX!!
    Lot's of gigs in the last 12 months and still very happy with it!! Never owned a digital device for more then a few months and still liked it, the Axe to me is different, like it more and more each day..
    E.B.

8. HHB

HHB Member

whats the deal w/ stage monitoring these things, I'm looking for something to go direct w/ floor monitors, is this viable?

9. ford

ford Supporting Member

Have you made a "Politician" Dumble clip for Tag yet? :rotflmao

10. Finaldo

Finaldo Member

I have something that sounds pretty damn good for Politician with the Axe-FX. It's already been done with Guitar Rig though, so there's no real point in putting a modeling clip up to show it can be done... :)

11. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Am I correct in seeing two versions of this unit? One of them is about 1K more than the other?

Emee

12. Finaldo

Finaldo Member

I think it's more a $400-$500 difference between the Standard and the Ultra...

13. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...I love my Ultra...so far, my patches are called Mr. Johnson (an adaption of Mr.Benson in honor of me...JC120 simulator for a fat jazz tone), Dumbles of Dover :)rolleyes:), Romper Stomper (lots o' pedals in front of a clean Dumble simulator), and Jimi-San (Plexi simulator plus Jimi's pedals; fuzz, octavia, vibe, wah)...

...:RoCkIn

...I love this place at night!

14. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

HHB,

I have been on the wait list for an Ultra for about 5-6 months now. From what I have been able to discern from posts a lot of people are using powered monitors like the JBL PRX or the QSC HPR. That way you can use a lot of what the Axe-fx has to offer, Studio quality effects, stellar amp sims, power amp sims, mic models, speaker models. Ask Scott Peterson. He has forgotten more than I'll ever know about this rig.

15. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

So what are you getting in the Ultra that the standard one does not?

Thanks,
    Emee

16. rickboot

rickboot Member

Glad to see another gearhead loves their axe-fx. After 6 long months I finally get mine mine this Thursday. Can't wait!

17. javajunkie

javajunkie Member

18. kselbee

kselbee Member

I've been intriguted by this thing but for jams and band practice how do you setup? Do you use a rack mountable power amp and then separate cabs? I'm tempted, but with no ability to test one and the LOOONG wait I hear about, I probably won't be getting one any time soon.

19. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

You have a thousand options here. I've run:

-MOD50 (4 cable method which means I can use the AFX stomp stuff BEFORE the amp, then time based stuff in the loop) AFX, 2x12 Cab
    -AFX -> Mesa 20/20 -> 2x12
    -AFX-> Clean poweramp -> 2x12
    -AFX -> FRFR (Yamaha MSR400 PA Main)

The last was works best for gigging...I just go to the line out of the MSR400 into the board for the FOH, so what I hear on stage is what is what the audience hears...LOVE. Simple setup too.

Even now, I've even created a separate routing in the AFX that goes to a poweramp and cab, so running BOTH FRFR and the cab on stage. The cab acts kind of like an additional sub as well as some delay in there for a 'bigger' stereo effect (ripped this off of Petrucci and that video he has explaining his rig.)

And the wait probably won't be that long anymore. Fractal is moving to a new facility, and will be moving much faster on the waiting list.

EP

20. Jon

Jon Member

Has anyone tried the AxeFX into a Tech21 PowerEngine 60 combo? That would probably be a useful rehearsal rig for me.

Has anyone tried gluing a couple of NOS valves onto the back of it? That's bound to make it sound better!!!:messedup