Axe FX - The Verdict

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by NFB, Dec 16, 2009.

AXE FX - The Verdict - Real Deal or Digital Fad to Fade Away

1. Another overpriced digital fad product that will fade

2. It is the real deal and hear to stay

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NFB

NFB Senior Member

What do you think guys? Another expensive digital fad or hear to stay?

2. bluffalo

bluffalo Member

Its been around for 3 or so years - and gets better all the time
    Check used pricing - it doesn't cost 10% of what it was new like many predicted
    If development stopped tomorrow - It would still sound fantastic

Its here to stay.

3. suhrbrutal

suhrbrutal Senior Member

4. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I want me one, but have no money and can't bear to part with any of my schtuff...

5. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Supporting Member

I've been an owner for a year and a half of an Ultra. For me it is the real deal.

6. Glide

Glide Member

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator and Co-Founder of TGP Staff Member

Owner 2.5 years running. Amazes me almost every day, no exaggeration.

8. Fractal Audio

Fractal Audio Member

I don't think it would be proper for me to vote but three years is an awful long time for a fad, dontcha think?

9. NFB

NFB Senior Member

The ADA fad was around for that and maybe a bit longer....just sayin...and you should vote.

10. Sixstring

Sixstring Member

11. Sixstring

Sixstring Member

Yah, I think cliff is working on it :munch

12. rickboot

rickboot Supporting Member

The Axe-FX is clearly a fad. As soon as Cliff comes out with the next gen I am dumping mine.

13. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I see that only one of the neg poll responders has posted in the thread. Pentode, have you played one?

One thing that I feel will weigh against the software option as an alternative is that software is dependent on your computer. And unless you buy a good computer just for the software, sooner ot later spmething is going to confict. Plus computers are an odd shape where as the Axe is a handy rack mount size. I just like the idea of a dedicated processor.

I don't own one so I won't opine on the tone, but there are enough guys here who dig it that I would consider it.

14. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I haven't played it, but i've heard it plenty. I'm not really interested in it because it doesn't suit my application.... i think it sounds pretty good.

but i don't think its really here to stay. its here to stay until something better replaces it.

Moving it to software is going to go a long way towards making axe more ubiquitous. Studios (generally) aren't going to pay $2000 for what amounts to a guitar-plugin. Speaking solely about axe's sounds, its not $1700 better than a pod x3.

yeah the "feel" is supposed to be there, but most studios don't care about that. make it a plugin at a <$500 price point and it will catch on a lot faster.

Its rare that anything digital is ever "here to stay." The whole nature of the industry is that stuff gets exponentially better. Raymond Kurzweil, the guy who basically invented modelling, is also one of the most respected intellectuals on the nature of technological advancement. In a few years you will probably see something that boasts way more processing power than axe and axe will be junk. It might still "sound good" to some, as subjective as that is, but it will still be outdated and replaced.

The only pieces of digital gear that don't get outdated are the ones that do their own thing. Modelling always gets better. Nothing lasts forever.

15. Luke

Luke Senior Member

Once the cat is out of the bag, it is easy for others to reverse engineer the product and to mass produce a close copy off shore at a discount. The only guitar product I am aware of that never really had a copy try to dominate it was the Eventide Harmonizer. I don't think the Axe-Fx will enjoy a similar fate, I believe many companies are trying to accomplish the next generation simulator.

So the Axe-Fx will become viewed as a monumental step forward in modeling technology, that will eventually be a $300 used item. The value is in its usage today, just like a buying a television, not in resale down the road.

I have the Ultra and fully expect it to depreciate 90% over the next five years.

16. GASattack

GASattack Member

ADA tanked, not because it was a fad and customers gravitated towards the newest, brightest gizmo hitting the market,
    but bad business decisions (moved to a bigger facility, not enough employees, and couldnt keep up with demand
    as well as what they were making had crappy quality control) ... so ... Ada did it to themselves ....

17. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

Not really. Just a very small part of it. From the top of the page:

The Gear Page > The Gear > Digital and Modeling Gear

Even in this sub-category of Digital and Modeling Gear there are other threads: Threads on the Digidesign 11 Rack, Digitech GSP1101, Vox Tonelab ST, etc., etc.

18. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

I may be mistaken, but I don't think he was referring to the company, rather the concept of Analog/Digital/Analog - in a tongue-in-cheek manner :)

19. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Hmmm....I think the poll results may be skewed by the forum section you put the poll in. The Digital and Modeling group is inherently more pro-modeling. The Amps and Cabs group, less so.

I'm not going to vote because I don't think the two choices are balanced, worded well, or represent the options well (sorry NFB;)).

I don't think it's a fad, overly expensive, or here to stay. Nor do I think it's the "real deal", whatever that is. It's an evolutionary hardware platform running evolutionary firmware. In a relatively short time, both will likely be eclipsed by newer technology. Not making it obsolete, necessarily, just no longer leading edge. The software, as it evolves, will hit hardware processing limits and the next hardware platform will allow different processing techniques. It's the nature of the beast.

20. 690MBCOMMANDO

690MBCOMMANDO Member

It's amazing. Mine is here to stay. My main rig.

There is a steep learning curve though for those (like me) who are not familiar with midi. Information is fragmented and missing some key, user friendly, easy to understand, plug and play stuff.

Once you get past it, without returning the unit :).....you'll love it. It can do everything and sounds amazing, especially with the Atomic Reactor FR amps (which I have 2 for stereo).