Axe FX - The Verdict

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by NFB, Dec 16, 2009.

AXE FX - The Verdict - Real Deal or Digital Fad to Fade Away

1. Another overpriced digital fad product that will fade

2. It is the real deal and hear to stay

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. WKG

WKG Member

:agree

Exactly.

It works as the tool it is intended to be.

The fact that it is digital is irrelevant in that regard and the fact that it is digital done correctly makes comparisons to Vetta et al apples vs oranges.

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Although the exceptions are old they have not been superseded or surpassed by the original manufactures or any one else .This is not comparable. No old all in one boxes are worth squat.:rimshot

3. NFB

NFB Senior Member

12-23-2009

There will be a verdict and an in depth commentary from yours truly on what I found.

Again, I have no affiliation with the Ax FX folks.......it will be fair and balanced as always from NFB.

Read the 1st line in my signature below.:rockin

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  4. ELA

ELA Member

You are missing my point. When the Vetta came out it was touted as the end all be all. Here to stay. To be used as the tool it is intended to be... etc... You and everybody else are only adding to my point. Your same views were stated in those arguments and discussions back then as well. In other words no one here has stated one thing that has not been mentioned before.

I swear to god. I have never seen a group of people more stubborn than die hard digital users. Fingers in ears going LALALALALALA! as loud as they can whenever anyone brings up a point that for some irrational reason appears to threaten the medium they so dearly love. I mean really, it borders on a religion.

*edited* I take some of that back. I have seen others. The other end of the spectrum is the die hard tube users. Same bunch of nuts. Different side of the tree.

Then in 3 or 5 or how many years, when the next big thing comes out. All these arguments will be forgotten and begin all over again. And again. And again. And once again not a new damn thing will be said. Same old arguments and points regurgitated all over. I mean you may think the hammer analogy and tool reference was clever but I think it was a wrench and a plumber the last time it went around. See what I mean? It has all been said before.

If this is what you love to play on. If this is what inspires your creativity than play man! Strum that freaking guitar and quit being so damn sensitive.

5. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

:agree

Very well said....and as for the poll results, what do you expect in the Digital/Modeling forum? It's like putting a poll on "vegi-burgers vs hamburgers" up at a cattle ranchers convention.;)

6. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Again.......I started this thread in the amps and cabs section but the moderators thought it belonged here. I do not agree.........but who am I............I am a nobody, nothing, kaput, nada, zero, less than zero.[​IMG]

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator and Co-Founder of TGP Staff Member

Vitriol or non-vitriol. Your choice. ;) :D

[​IMG]

8. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Both please................I am loosing it fast!:bong

9. WKG

WKG Member

I thought the Vetta stunk. :D

One thing that has to be considered in this discussion is Fractal's approach regarding signal path component quality and algorithms. There has really never been a player in the guitar oriented digital realm that has approached this. Past discussions on the issue really need to held in this light for a correct perspective IMHO.

That said I am not bound to ANY particular form of technology, I never have been. I don't need to defend tubes like it's my manhood and I don't see digital as some transcendant life form. I look for tools that will accomplish and create the sounds I hear. I don't judge their usefulness by their potential resale value or according to public opinion. I could really care less. If a new tool comes along great, if it works better I'll probably consider buying it.

This thread is really becoming weird. It seems the stubborness is really from folks who cannot/will not accept the possibility that there exists something in the digital realm that can equal the treasured vacuum tube and have to denigrate it simply because of judgments based on past lousy personal experiences with quality/resale value of their digital gear purchases.

Bottom line is if it sounds good today it will still sound good 20 years from now. If my needs change then I'll look for something else.

10. ELA

ELA Member

Again. Has been said before. Just substitute Fractal with Line 6. Remember back then there was nothing else approaching it. It was the bee's knee's. So I am keeping it in perspective. In this thread I have not really seen a bashing. Just some points about what one needs to be aware of when dealing with digital technology. That is not a bad thing. There are things one needs to be aware of when dealing with tubes as well.

As for everything in life there are plus and minuses. But I have seen reaction to those comments by Axe-fx users bordering on as if their dogs were being kicked.

I agree 100 percent with your statement: "I look for tools that will accomplish and create the sounds I hear. I don't judge their sound by their potential resale value or according to public opinion. I could really care less. If a new tool comes along great, if it works better I'll probably consider buying it."

11. WKG

WKG Member

To be honest I think there are some who have come into the discussion for little other apparent reason than just looking for someone's dog to kick.

I hear what you are saying though and I think that anybody who has been around and living through the advent and progression of digital technology is well aware of the nature of it. I think comparisons to the reception of past new products can be misleading. There is always going to be a honeymoon/flavor of the month/new best amp/latest greatest etc etc etc. The amp forum is a poignant example of that. Time and true usefulness will ultimately tell in the end if something is a fad or not which is the topic of the OP. At 3-4 years in Fractal is showing acceptance and endurance, and that amongst some picky users, IMHO.

12. mik777

mik777 Member

I dont recall Line 6 ever getting the attention of the boutique gear snob community as Fractal has! but when you start seeing Axe Fx in the Guitar Center monthly catalog that may be a sign!

13. ELA

ELA Member

Agreed somewhat. My only purpose of chiming in was I was right there back then defending the Vetta with the others. Some got it, some didn't. There will always be haters.

It sounds dated now but back then the technology rocked. Plus the ability to combine 2 different amps sounds within one device was mind blowing. Being able to use an extension cab and having a Marshall on one end and a 5150 coming out the other was awesome. I wish Line 6 had stuck to that path and took it even further, some of us were hoping for a rack mount Vetta, but in my mind/opinion currently they are a market driven company but that is another thread in itself.

I only wanted to provide another view. The whole digital vs tubes/analog has been going on since digital was born. I currently play a tube amp but I also have modeling devices.

To me there is room and a place for both. I also use analog pedals and digital effects. Whatever gets me the sound I am looking for! A person is only limiting themselves if they box themselves in with one particular technology.

Like I said previously I don't think anyone in this particular thread was bashing the Axe-fx, at least not what I would consider bashing, but the reaction by some Axe-fx users to some posts simply pointing out issues with going digital is pure fingers in the ear and stubbornness.

The bottom line is that technology always marches forward and leaves bodies behind. Which is a good thing in my opinion. When I was starting out playing back in the 80's I wish I had the tools and options that are available now. Simply amazing the choices one has today. Simply amazing.

14. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

Obsolete Axe-fx scenario

One day in the future the latest Axe-fx incarnation comes out. In this timeline, Cliff is still going strong, creating cool stuff. The Fractal Audio Guitar Module is announced. It can be retrofitted into most typical guitars. The entire, latest AxeFx incarnation now fits inside your guitar, and includes a stereo 200 watt per channel amplifier. And models of every guitar amp in recorded history. Inside your guitar. The entire module adds 11 ounces to the guitar weight. For those who wish to use their feet to change sounds, the foot controller connects with the guitar module via wireless MIDI. The power amp in your guitar connects wirelessly to your speakers through the ingenious little modules that plug into the back of your speakers. Of course you don't need a guitar cord anymore because the whole thing is inside your guitar. Oh, and if you break a string or want to use a different guitar, a Sub Module is available for your other guitars at a fraction of the cost of the Guitar Module, it just utilizes the sounds of the Guitar Module in your main guitar (again, wirelessly of course) while it's sitting on the stand. A compact strap-mounted version of the Guitar Module is available for those who don't want to alter their vintage guitars.

OK, now the Axe-fx of 2009 is pretty much obsolete. :D

15. WKG

WKG Member

:D

At least until the implantable version with the neuro-midi bio interface is released. Morphable tone tweaking/shifting via neural-synaptic impulse. :phones

It is coming, remember you saw it first here...

:)

16. Scott Peterson

Can we use wireless Bluetooth or something other than midi? Please? ;) :D

17. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

Shhhhhhh..... you're giving away too much info!!

You bet! There will be an updated spec of the Musical Instrument Digital Interface by then :cool:

18. WKG

WKG Member

You're probably right.

It has to have at least a 300' range though.....

19. WKG

WKG Member

[​IMG]

:eek:

20. Scott Peterson

Sweet. Now we are talking!