Axe FX Ultra Help w/getting close to a couple of pedals

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jcoriha, Feb 26, 2015.

1. jcoriha

jcoriha Member

Hi, I have had the Axe FX Ultra for quite awhile now, but haven't gotten into a lot of the online resources; like hooking it up for updates, or trading presets. I am really trying to slim down my rig for live use, and haven't been able to get a couple of specific effects down yet. I am hoping someone might have ideas on settings to get closer. I am not doing a cover band type project, and I'm not worried about getting to within .000000001 of the actual sound of the pedals, but I want to get closer. I am using a Rocktron All Access for MIDI, but my MIDI programming over the years has been pretty much just surface level preset recall, and mapping.

The effects I am trying to harness are -

Digitech Synth Wah, especially mode 4 "Synth 2". I have made quite a few presets with the Synth in the Axe FX, but haven't figured out the right parameters to mix a Filter with the Synth for something similar to this. I usually run a compressor in front of the Synth Wah since it's pretty hard to control by itself, so I'm hoping I can make a more tweakable version in the Axe FX.

Reverse Reverb - typical MBV type sound, I am currently using the DigiVerb, but that has quite a bit of volume drop. I also have a Yamaha GEP50, and SPX90, but I am trying to slim down the rig for live. I have tried somethings with the Reverse Delay, but haven't gotten as close as I'd like. The standard Reverse Reverb sound seems kind of like it has a unique high pass type EQ to it, and I haven't found the right way to get closer to that yet.

Death by Audio Supersonic Fuzz Gun - I can dial in lots of Fuzz stuff in the Axe, but there is a certain quality to the DBA stuff that seems different than the standard Muff/FF/Octavia type stuff. I am pretty sure the Oscillate mode is out of the question though. I think the Hard Fuzz might get me closer, either that or combining a couple of Drives.

Un-Latched Pitch Shift/Vibrato - The way I have been using this effect is the mode on the Super Shifter type pedals (both BOSS, and Behringer). I set the pitch so it either detunes or "uptunes" slightly, and adjust the rate depending on which type of effect I am going for. Slower for MBV-style whammy stuff without a bar, or faster for a Cipollina-like vibrato. Since this mode on the pedals doesn't latch, it only activates when you press. In a weird turn of events, my PS-5 Boss Super Shifter is down, but the Behringer Ultra Shifter is still up and running. I don't think I can program only 1 switch to be unlatching on the All Access, but I don't know for sure.

Electro Harmonix Micro Synth - I have a 90s reissue, and the newer XO one. The 90s is giving me problems, although I preferred it's sound to the newer one. I use this pedal for a few different types of sounds, like extreme fuzz Siamese Dream style, or the filter type sound on Starla. I am thinking that combining a Muff or Octavia with the Synth is probably the best way, but again, anyone who has already fought the good fight on this one might already have been down this path and found something.

Thx, any help or pointers is/are much appreciated.

2. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

I would dig thru the presets in the FAS Ultra forum. I found a ton of great SYX files you can download and tweek.

Also, I dont think the Ultra is going to cop the DBA fuzz tone. The Axe doesn't do fuzz well, and this is more of stacked\gated type sound

3. jcoriha

jcoriha Member

Definitely more Gated on the DBA. If they emulate the Osc mode on the Fuzz Gun that would be awesome, but I would be surprised.