Axe-FX users, what do you use to transport your Axe?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Tybalt, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

Rack? Bag? What brand? I'm trying to figure out the best way to transport my ordered Axe-FX around.
    I was thinking about a normal 4U wood/metal rackspace - but weight is a consideration - I'll also be housing a Furman P1800 AR which weighs 15 lbs.

Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated.

2. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

this 2U rack actually looks dope - however it has less depth than the Axe by 3.5 inches - I don't want the back end of the Axe to stick out of the rack that's supposed to be protecting it.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/SV2

3. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

4. dbun

dbun Member

2RU rack hardcase, but thinking of swapping to a 2RU bag as they seem a big lighter.

5. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

yeah, the bags do seem lighter - but I'm wondering how protective the bags actually are.

6. barhrecords

barhrecords Member

4 space Gator molded plastic.

No special reason for me.

I already had various rack cases before I bought the Fractal.

7. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

This. With Matrix poweramp and Furman power supply it is heavy, but it has wheels of course.

8. svl

svl Supporting Member

6 space rolling molded plastic Gator. Holds my Furman PF1800, Line 6 G90 and my 2 Axe XLs, plenty of space behind to leave everything plugged in (and tied down in the back on walls and bottom) as well as extra venting due to the 1/2 space opening at the bottom for where the wheel handle sits.

9. Gilks

Gilks Member

I use a Gator 4U hard case at the moment, it stores my AxeFX II, ISP Stealth Power Amp and an extra space for all my cables and power supplies. Works great, plenty deep and not too bad to carry, even for a weakling like myself!

I'm thinking of getting a 5U or 6U hard case on wheels though, since I want to add a wireless, an IEM system and a power conditioner.

10. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

3U SKB molded case here. I was looking at going to a 2U bag but it's not particularly lighter weight than the 3U SKB.

11. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I don't use my Axe-FX for gigging anymore, but when I did, I hauled it in a Gator 4U rack bag. This is the perfect solution, IMO. It protects the unit well, is easier to carry than a rack case, and has a nice big pocket for cables and whatnot. The size allowed for the Axe plus a Furman and a wireless.

12. geoangus

geoangus Member

13. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

kind of big but theres a tuner and a wireless in there

[​IMG]

14. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

15. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

Thanks for the answers so far, fellas.
    Seems to be a SKB vs Gator scene here.
    I checked out the SKB 4U molded case and it weighs about 12 lbs. If we factor the Axe-FX (17lbs) and the Furman P1800AR (15lbs) we're looking at about 44 lbs - which is a pretty heavy "head" and we're not even including a power amp.

Hmmm, I guess the most practical thing would be to ditch the Furman - but I'm paranoid about stable power.. :dunno

16. French Fry

French Fry Member

I went with as much of a lightweight solution as I could and use a road runner 4u bag on rollers.

Fits my AxeFx, 1u furman, and 1u 8ch mixer.

This is setup is fairly easy to cart around and offers a decent amount of protection, but I wouldn't ship it this way, wouldn't stack anything on it or toss it in the van.

It rides in my trunk, I can load in - out in 2 trips.
    I gig maybe once a month if I'm lucky so this setup works well for me.

17. svl

svl Supporting Member

The best thing I've bought in a while to help haul gear was a Rock-N-Roller R12 with the all terrain wheels. I can load everything in with one trip, and the cart packs down small enough to fit in my front seat floor space.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...t-transporter-cart?rNtt=rock n roller&index=5

With the MF coupon i had at the time (this past Christmas) I paid a total of $187 (which included shipping/tax/etc).

18. Tybalt

Tybalt Member

yeah, rollers seem to be the way to go if I go more than the 2U route. I was about to scoff at the price of that Rock-N-Roller but then I realized that those wheels could probably negotiate stairs which would be a substantial asset. :aok

19. svl

svl Supporting Member

The all terrain wheels are awesome. Had to navigate some decent snow last week and they cut through like a hot knife through butter. Stairs are no issue, but in my case mean a different configuration for the cart (which is no problem) and an extra trip.

I also looked at the Gruv Muver, but ti doesn't get as small and was a good bit more in cost. I did love the 360 spin it can perform, however.

20. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

Any decent quality rack should be fine.