Axe FX vs. Kemper (Marshall JCM 800)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MusicWithMarky, Jun 26, 2020 at 4:49 PM.

1. MusicWithMarky

MusicWithMarky Member

Hope it's cool to post a YT vid like this here. I thought it might be useful/fun for modeling folks.

2. Lumpy Trousers

Lumpy Trousers Member

Nice comparison. I liked the Axe 3 better, but being a Kemper owner I'm wondering which profile was used.

3. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Why not use the same IR or cab section from the Kemper for both units in order to eliminate differences related to the cab?

shodan5000, JCantrell and yeky83 like this.
  4. jeremyjh

jeremyjh Member

It seems like the EQ profile was very different between the two amps, particularly on the high-gain. This makes it hard for me to make any judgement with confidence.

Classic09 likes this.
  5. texhex

texhex Supporting Member

Profile the AXE-FX III JCM800 Model and IR and then compare that to the AXE. Or load a custom IR into both units, use a Direct JCM800 Profile and then compare to the AXE.

I'm triggered. :Devil

6. yeky83

yeky83 Member

Or take an IR of the Kemper's cab section with the Axe-Fx. So many ways to do it right! :p

7. Severed

Severed Member

Or just take his demo for what it is, instead of telling how you'd have done it.

leperclown likes this.
  8. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Because the Kemper is literally the only product where one can do a true apples to apples comparison.

9. MusicWithMarky

MusicWithMarky Member

I used a few here.

Clean:
    [​IMG]

Mid Gain:
    [​IMG]

High Gain:
    [​IMG]

10. MusicWithMarky

MusicWithMarky Member

Because I'm an idiot who doesn't yet know how to do that. =] Also love that your avatar is Back For The Attack!!

ColdFrixion likes this.
  11. MusicWithMarky

MusicWithMarky Member

I got to spend some time learning to do that. I shot one more vid for the 5150 III and before I do another one, I'm going to refine a bit so I can get them more true to what I'm trying to accomplish.

That said, one aspect of doing it this way is that most consumers of these will not know how to play around with such things and want to know what's in the box. So, I think I'm going to have to do the next videos with two samples - comparing like these and then comparing it with the same exact IR.

12. texhex

texhex Supporting Member

It's cool dude. Spend some time learning how to use these, they are both pretty deep devices (although I think the Kemper is a little less so) but the Kemper can literally get within a few percentage points of sounding exactly like the amp it's profiling when done right. I have a 5150 iii which I've profiled and between live cabs, PA speakers or headphones it's damn near impossible to tell which is the amp and which is the Profiler.

Good luck!

13. MusicWithMarky

MusicWithMarky Member

Have you ever used the tone match on the AXE FX as well? Wondering if you also can get that close with it. I know it's a different animal, but just curious.

14. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Definitely. I consider it one of the most powerful tone shaping tools in the Axe-Fx. I've nailed many of my favorite Kemper profiles using it.

MusicWithMarky likes this.
  15. Lumpy Trousers

Lumpy Trousers Member

Thanks!

MusicWithMarky likes this.
  16. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

4.5 minutes of talking and 2.5 minutes of playing?

Talk less, play more! ;)

Axe III FTW!