Axe-Fx vs. real tube amp (clip inside)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 56_Special, Mar 12, 2008.

Which is the real tube amp?

1. Panned hard right

2. Panned hard left

3. Center

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Here a little test of my Axe-Fx. Below is a link to a recording with three guitar tracks. One is panned hard right, one hard left, and one down the center. Two of them were done with the Axe-Fx and one was a real tube amp recorded with a mic. Which one is the real tube amp? Be patient, the center guitar doesn't appear until about 1:20.

Axe-Fx comparison

2. Wayne

Wayne Member

I'll play.

It would've been nice to hear the same riff through all three but I'll say panned hard left because of the bit of flubiness of this mid-rangey sound. I actually preferred the tones of the panned right the best.

Wayne

3. Mr. Brady

Mr. Brady Member

I preferred the tones of the middle lead and right best. I'm gonna guess that the lead was the Axe Fx, although it sounded very tube like.

Edit: If it's possible (although the poll would suggest otherwise) that there are two tracks of Axe Fx, I'm gonna guess the right is also ax fx.

4. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

I say hard left is the tube amp, hard right is Axe.... center is Axe. For me though its not the cleans , its the crunch where the real differences will be heard.

5. mude

mude Supporting Member

Middle and right is the Axe-Fx is my guess.

Evan.

6. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

I will guess left and center are AxeFX and the hard right is the tube amp. They all sounded really good!

7. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

Hard left sounds like crap... so it must be the tube amp.:D

8. coreybox

coreybox Member

both the center and right sound more 'immediate', which I would expect with a direct recording. I suspect that they are the axe-fx.

9. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

Well the track is dominated by the right guitar, at least to my ears. So I'll say Axe Left and Right and the tube amp in the Center. What was the tube amp used anyway? And eventually what amps did you use in the AXE-FX

10. Stratosphere

Stratosphere Member

Hard right sounded really pristine to me so I'd guess it was the AXE-FX which should be able to do that sort of thing. The middle sounded pretty tubish, so I'd guess that was also AXE-FX assuming that you're making a point here. So by process of elimination the one on the left would be the tube.

But without knowing what the tube amp is or the amp samples on the FX are supposed to represent it makes it tougher to guess. Obviously without knowing that it's a real shot in the dark when nothing sounded particularly forced. I wound up reverting more to what seem to be reasonable assumptions rather than letting my ears tell me what I think they're hearing.

It's fun nevertheless.

11. Agramal

Agramal Member

My guess is the center is the tube amp.

12. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

I listened to the cut and have some observations.

All three sounds could have been be made with either an Axe-Fx or any of a variety of tube amps.

My order of preference for tonality is right, left, center.

The center channel sounds like an MV-type tube amp in which the overdrive is being generated mostly or entirely in the preamp. I don't personally like this kind of sound, but that's obviously a matter of taste. You could easily get the same sound with an Axe-Fx.

It sounds to me like the left channel could have been made with the same setup as the right, with the tone control on the guitar slightly rolled back.

My WAG is that the center is a tube amp, but I wouldn't be surprised to be wrong.

13. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

we've been playing this game since the POD came out, I don't think many people will argue that a modeller can make a good recording, it's just in those live situations where it sounds like cardboard.

14. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

What's ironic is that is the opposite of what the majority of folks that bag on the Axe-FX say - they want clips to 'prove' something to them.

So someone makes a clip.... and it's bagged on. Or this comment.

Does anyone understand why posting clips is so dicey? You can't win for losing; and you get slammed no matter what way you present it or what the goal is. "Not enough...." "Too much....."

No flame, just an observation.

As a side note, I've done dozens and dozens of gigs -both direct to FOH and through my rig AND direct to FOH - and it cuts. It thumps. It's all that.

15. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Aw, but you have to admit that it's a fun game! Anyway, this is just for fun. I don't pretend that it's in any way "scientific" or anything like that.

16. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I agree with Jay.

Like many others I "guessed" that the tube amp was the one on the left, not because it sounded better but because the high end seemed rolled off just a little, but really there's no way to tell in a situation like this.

Beyond that, for me the whole question of does an Axe FX sound just like a tube amp is moot. I really like the Axe Fx and that's all that matters to me.

I am puzzled by the use of the term "real tube amp " or "real amp" though, and have seen both used many times. Aren't all amps real? I guess if one sounded stunningly spectacular beyond anything you'd ever heard you might describe the tone as "unreal" but otherwise they're all pretty much real to me...

17. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

Nope. The Axe-Fx is as good live - maybe better - than it is for recording. Have you played through one? If not, you should check it out before you dismiss it.

18. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

I like both the hard left and hard right sounds, but I have to agree that it would be far easier to tell if the same riff were being played on all three.
    Also, I might add I like that little jam you have going there, very tasty sir.
    Maybe it's an old game to some, but I still enjoy it. :D

R.GP

19. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

No need, I already have plenty of real guitar amps I'm quite happy with, why mess around with simulations? :NUTS

20. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

Then why troll in these threads? You clearly have no interest in what is being discussed.

BTW, I have owned and played tube amps for more than 30 years, and I still own a few. I "mess around with simulations" to overcome the nontrivial limitations of tube amps. The Axe-Fx is the only device I have found that can do that to my satisfaction. It works. If you have no experience with one, you're in no position to assert otherwise.