AXE FX8 vs quality pedals (Strymon, Wampler, etc.)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by tochiro, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

My money is not on Q4. I hope I'm wrong.

2. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

Yep. I typically only use a Tube Screamer or a BB Pre in real pedals, and the Axe nails them. The rest are still very well done, though.

3. toasterdude

toasterdude Member

I use mobius, big sky amd echolution 2 in the loops of my axe fxs. Ease of quickly getting a sound is one reason. Another is having different sounds. It also allows me to build bigger patches without hitting DSP limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member

I played the FX8 against some pretty stellar pedals including the Strymons... It stacked up VERY well against them. Cliff did a great job with this unit. IMO/YMMV

5. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    While the FX-8 might indeed be a magnificent effects processor, sometimes one might just prefer a specific unit that does it's one effect, such as a Strymon Delay or Neunaber reverb. This takes absolutely nothing away from the Fractal, but if a certain sound appeals to you, then go for that sound, if you must.

I love the Neunaber Seraphim. I've heard other like reverbs, but the Seraphim has that certain something that attracks me. Even if I bought the Fractal, I would still get the Neunaber.

Veritas0Aequitas and thabassmon like this.
  6. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

We still have not heard a single demo from the AX8... so this thread should really be about the FX tones in the Axe Fx II or the FX8

I had the FX8 for a couple of weeks, and someone posted a question about the FX and here is my reply:
    1) Complex and polyphonic pitch shifting (can it replace POG2?); - not so much, better off keeping the POG around
    2) Big reverbs (can it replace Big Sky?); Yes, the FX8 will kick off any verb pedal off your board
    3) Complex delays (can it replace El Capistan?); Yes, for complex, but the jury is still out on analog\tape sounds. Seemed a little "too clean" compared with a real analog delay
    4) "Organic" effects such as Wah and Phaser (can it replace a good analog Wah or the EVH Phase?). Yes, another easy one... best wah I have heard that is not a real wah pedal.

7. Csgband

Csgband Member

Moved to Austin, formerly from Brooklyn, NY
    Here is a quick cell phone demo
    Shows the Rat, fuzz face, tape delay, spring reverb.
    The drives work well with the guitar volume.

8. macmedic

macmedic Member

I just got my Fractal FX8 Floor unit this week and I have been knocked out!
    Thank you Fractal for a amazing device with none of the BS that usually comes with normal FX units. I will be going in the front door of my 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb (Yes it is real. I bought it in 1965) Amp and have tried the 3 & 4 cable hookup on my Bad Cat 30 which both connections are great! Fractal's Parallel FX routing is very interesting allowing the verbs to tail off and the delay to remain dry. Most of the FX units on the market have so much crap packed in them it is hard to find sounds that could be used on a real stage. The preloaded FX's are usually stuff that are only there to excite a 16 year old kid with too much money in his pocket. What I love is there is a open plate of sounds all of which are studio quality with no crap sounds on board. I have used the FX8 not only on electric guitar but acoustic guitar with much success. I even hooked it up to my new Korg Kronos 2 88 and it worked flawlessly. My friend tried it on his Ken smith Bass in the studio and was knocked out with FX he could use. In my time in music I have had most of what was hot and I have to say the Fractal FX8 ranks up there with the best. My Kemper, Bad Cat and Divided By 13 will stay in the studio. When I fly I will pop my FX8 in a large backpack with a small powered speaker and a nano synth to let the pinheads in airport security know I am not a bad guy. I could go on and on but will end with the comment try the Fractal FX8 and see for your self.

9. veus55

veus55 Silver Supporting Member

Two weeks with the FX8 and my observations: (I own Strymon, Analogman, Eventide and TC electronic pedals by the way, on sale at the emporium)
    1) I can do most of my Time Line presets, but it takes a while to learn how to tweak the delay to my taste (you have all the tools needed).
    2) Easy to replicate the Mobius (just sold mine on this forum).
    3) Wah is excellent
    4) Dirt pedals: Rat is great, tube screamer great. I am still working trying to get a good clean OD like a KOT. I also love the sound you get from placing an OD before the Rat pedal.
    5) Reverb is outstanding (my Blue Sky is up for sell in the emporium).

My main is issue with the FX8 is the lack of DSP for complex presets and some issues with switching presets (time lag).

Overall great effect processor

10. Transmisser

Transmisser Member

Good to know.

I have the Strymon trinity and have been wondering if the fx8 could replace them. My main thing with the strymon TL and BS is the hold function for infinite repeats / tails.

Can you do that with the FX8?

11. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

The FX-8 was specifically designed to be a "Pro" unit. No BS, no whacky effects. What you get is straightforward, extremely high-quality effects and circuit design. The money is in the circuitry. It's very difficult to design something that is sonically transparent. To do so requires expensive parts. The I/O in/out of the converters is all balanced design which most consumer products don't use. This almost doubles the number of components needed (and hence the cost) but results in lower noise and distortion. The converters themselves are Cirrus Logic's "flagship" converters (= $$$$$). Our philosophy with the FX-8 and upcoming AX-8 is no-frills, just absolute best sound quality in a convenient floor unit.

Veritas0Aequitas likes this.
  12. tochiro

tochiro Member

Those are serious problems though.

13. veus55

veus55 Silver Supporting Member

Depends, the DSP is enough for anything I play with my cover band. Each "Preset" is a virtual pedalboard, so you run out of DSP if you want all the effects you may want in a single preset. What I do is to change to a few presets that will cover everything I need for a particular song.
    The only time that I may run out of DSP for a single song is when the song requires complex ambient sounds.
    The time lag is when changing presets, but it is very unlikely that you will need to changes presets in a single song. Remember that each preset is a virtual pedalboard and you have something called "Scenes" that give you the possibility of turning on or off multiple effects at the same time within each preset.
    Also, each effect within the preset has a X and a Y configuration that can be changed on the spot.
    On each Scene within each preset, you can have any combination of effects on or off either in their X or Y form.

Yes I know, this sounds confusing, but it works.

On my part, I am very happy with the FX8

14. Moose Studio

Moose Studio Member

I most likely would use it in "scene" mode because I like hitting one button to change from one set of effects to the next. Does that mean there would be lag for me? Thanks!

15. DavidE

DavidE Member

What lag? Is it from the effect changing when you release the switch (like TC)? Or switching presets rather than using scenes?

16. hippietim

hippietim Member

No lag with scenes

17. randombastage

randombastage Supporting Member

i only notice lag when the FX-8 is hooked up to USB
    I keep the presets to less than 85% DSP most of the time and use different presets for additional effects so it isn't pushing the limits. You can get quite a lot in less than 85% DSP.