Axe II owners question:

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JB Eckl, Feb 21, 2012.

1. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

As someone getting more & more curious about the Axe FX II, I'm wondering which of the effects you (actual owners) would still consider using an analog pedal to replace. I'm sure there are users out there who still have a stomp or two out there, like a favorite overdrive or Wah or rotary that even the mighty Axe still doesn't quite nail.

**This is not a Pro-Axe or Anti-Axe or Axe apologist thread. Just wondering what areas you still think are unfulfilled (if any) by what's in the box. Does that make sense?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. Candyfan

Candyfan Member

Not many outspoken Landau fans over there, so probably lacking more than one pedal to "come close" to a few of his signature sounds. I've seen wishes for one of his OD pedals (Maxon SD-9?) and I also haven't heard his typical chorus/organ sound yet (modded(?) Arion SCH-1 stereo chorus)

Almost the same goes for Satriani, so maybe the modded DS-1 or a few distortions like that are missing to use them into a clean amp like he's doing. There have been quite a few sounds that do sound like him though, but I would say a more typical sound of his would be fitting among the stock presets (hope I didn't overlook one :) )

I've also seen "smilefan" wishing for a bunch of classic indispensable drive pedals that I would probably agree with if we could still enjoy the presets he would have made with those... If guys like him can't coax the sound out of the existing drives, they must be essential:
    http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-asked-when-we-getting-more-drive-models.html

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  3. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

To be honest the only things i still use in front of the axe-fx II are my two Trombetta Fuzzes, i dont see how i could emulate the way these interact with the controls of the guitar.

If i want a static fuzz tone, as in stationary, i can get that with the Axe-FX II.

The only other things I use are an Eventide Eclipse and Space in the FX loop... Because I really love the Eventide flavour for reverbs and soundscapes.

If you are talking about the more standard effects then the Axe-Fx II is top notch and the routability is amazing .... Allowing for some really interesting sounds that would be a PITA to re wire a pedalboard for say just one song.

4. rcl

rcl Member

Nada. Actually sold most of the pedals I had. I dont think I can justify taking a modeller AND a pedalboard out to gigs. I want a clean, all in one solution. One midi or RJ45 cable to the control board, and wireless to my guitar. That said-I don't use a lot of effects. With 2 potential drives, each with an x/y mode and also an amp x/y or dual amps with both x/y..yikes. I've actually started trying to simplify my internal rig to what I just realllly need to gig.

5. Yek

Yek Member

No loose more pedals. Like Rcl I want it to be all-in-one.

The range of fx in the Axe is enormous. Even if you don't find your favorite pedal among the models, some tweaking probably will get you there.

There's no Marshall Guvnor model for ex., but it can be emulated easily with the Drive block parameters. I like the Dunlop Jerry Cantrell wah, and the Wah block can be dialed in just like it. Etc. Can't think of many pedals/fx which are out of its reach, but of course there are some.

Saves money buying/selling pedals and less stuff to carry. It does require some tweaking.

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Easier to show what I sold - and I sold it all - than post about it. Suffice to say, I don't feel the need to use any pedals with the Fractal boxes except a midi controller and expression pedals.

Here are the last few generations of my pedalboards from years past:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

I have a few pedals I'm specifically worried about:

Analog man BC108 silicon with the sun dial turned down. This fuzz is so addictive to play. Amplitube actually approximates it decently, so you never know...

Fulltone Soul Bender. The Axe ToneBender model might cover it, but I'm not sure about the feel, etc.

T-Rex Møller and Wampler Ego - the magic feature on both of these is the 'blend' control, so I suppose the 'mix' in the Axe would get me there.

Strymon Lex - I do want an above-average rotary. Haven't heard an Axe II rotary demo, but usually I only love the high end rotary pedals like the Lex and Ventilator.

8. Scott Peterson

What I recommend is keeping anything you love and then doing a direct A/B with what you have and then see if you can match or better it. If not, then you keep it and use it the way you prefer. Pedals work great with the Axe-FX.

I am very fond of the Rotary; it really does not get enough attention on forums but that effect is killer in the Axe-FX, and especially on the II in particular.

One key thing to also mention is that really nothing need be 'static' on the Axe-FX, you can attach expression pedals to most aspects of effects; such as 'mix' and then change that on your whim on the fly in a live situation with no sweat. You can do things that are nary impossible to do with analog pedals in this manner - and in most cases, the only limitation in applying them is your imagination. It's a lot of fun.

9. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

Axe does everything I need.

Don't miss anything on my heavy/bulky pedalboard.

10. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

Scott - any chance you could do a quick clip of the rotary? I can't find a decent example anywhere, especially from the Axe II.

11. Scott Peterson

Sure. I am doing some other stuff shooting video today, I'll try to do that too. Might not get put up right away, but I'll get it done for you soon.

12. mindseye

mindseye Member

The only effect that im not 100% happy with in the AxeII is the whammy, when my band recorded our CD I use the whammy from a HD500 to record a part for a and I have not been able to get the Axe to sound as smooth and track as well as the HD500 did...That said it has not been a big enough deal for me to seek out a separate whammy.

If anyone is interested in hearing the part of the song go to www.noyolamusic.com
    It should be the first song on our player, the song is called "collapse to breath", the part is in the break down before the solo

13. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

@Scott... Good point and totally agree with what you say about the expression pedals making the Axe-FX II not "Static"... I use this method with delays, wah's etc... The thing is with the PTD fuzzes I use the electrics in the guitar actually become part of the effect circuit in the feedback loop of the effect, so the controls on the guitar essentially become expression knobs.... I am sure I could figure something on to incorporate an expression pedal and the fuzz in the axe-fx ... But it would have a different playing feel / dynamic... If that makes sense?

Cheers

Martin

14. RayRay

RayRay Silver Supporting Member

Here's my old board. I even had a few others that aren't on here (flangers, etc.). All are gone now.

The Guytron is still with me because it was a birthday gift from my wife and is a great amp. But... I don't use it much to be honest. Axe II all the way for me. No need for any additional pedals. Everything is in the box.

[​IMG]

15. Deaj

Deaj Member

I still own a few pedals (three are my builds, one tuner pedal, and a script logo MXR Phase 45). I rarely use them however, and never in front of the AxeFXII. I'm able to duplicate the sound of any of them inside the AxeFX so there's no need. I still own one tube amp (Egnater Tweaker 15 1x12 combo) and I use one or two pedals with the amp when I play through it (that's not very often).

16. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

I still have my tuner which honestly i like better then the Axe Fx one - though i don't use it. I think if i gig again i may though as my eyesight stinks these days

17. OutterLimits

OutterLimits Gold Supporting Member

I used a Rotosphere for years, and did not like the original Rotary in the Axe ... but in the Axe II I have it sounding very close to the Rotosphere, to where my band mates don't notice a difference. It has plenty of parameters to customize it to your needs.

I would look around at the many effects already created by other users and sample them. I grabbed a few killers that way (Violin patch for one).

18. Yek

Yek Member

You know what question is coming don't you? :)
    Please share. I like my Rotary settings but it doesn't hurt to try something else.

19. wes37

wes37 Supporting Member

I don't use any of my pedals in front of my Ax FX II, but that doesn't mean I won't. I have a Muskett Fuzz that I love, and perhaps the Axe FX can mimic it, but it would be just as easy for me to put the fuzz in front. That said, thus far for fuzz I've used the Axe Fx emulation. :D

20. Matman

Matman Member

There is only one consideration I would make -- if you need to add sustain in front of the Axe-Fx pitch detector/synth/envelope, you'll want to hold on to a compressor pedal. For me, it is the AnalogMan BiCompROSSer or the Pigtronix PhilosophersTone.

I work for Fractal, btw.