Axe II V9.0: Finally time to buy one?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JWDubois, Dec 6, 2012.

1. hippietim

hippietim Member

I'd hold off until Cliff gets auto-correct working. My Axe-FX II still plays bad notes and screws up cues and timing. It really is unusable right now.

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

If there's one thing that the AxeFx community should've figured out about Cliff by now is that he's never "done". If the Standard and Ultra were any indication, he'll keep making changes until the hardware runs out of gas.

That said, it's been a couple firmware versions since FAS has seen fit to redo the presets. That's somewhat encouraging for those who get frustrated re-dialing in their presets.

3. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

Boost is a knob so you can attach a modifier to it. This allows activating it remotely via footswitch.

4. thirsty one

thirsty one Supporting Member

Fix'd, thanks Cliff for all the hard work! You may want to consider a sloppy knob for us Zep fans. I want the Page page.

5. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Silver Supporting Member

Don't feel sorry for us, it's still kicking butt.

I'm thinking about using my Ultra primarily for effects with my tube rig. Maybe get the 4CM mod for it. There's still life in it yet and it's found a pretty sweet place to live while the Axe II handles all my recording work...

[​IMG]

6. pima1234

pima1234 Supporting Member

LOL! Nice. I hear ya! I wants to shredz, but something must be wrong with my guitarz.

7. pima1234

By the way folks, v.9 made an incredible difference. The sound is more alive, natural, and responsive. It works better on a "regular" pair of good studio cans (instead of those nearly $1000 ones!), or even my old Alesis studio monitors. It really is better than v.8. Talk about an overnight sensation! I mean, I know the difference between what I have and what I should have. My ears can tell (I have the real amp experience and recording experience to know). But, until I sell loads of other gear, the better monitors, the killer FRFR, and expensive cans will just have to wait.

My plan is to tone match many of my very nice amps and then sell them (so, keep your eyes open, I guess?). Whatever, I'm looking forward to seeing if I can accurately recreate the sound of my amps. I just don't get to really utilize real amps very often. I'll keep a few of course, because I'm certain that it will take me a long time to get the Axe to where I can effectively use it in a gig, (due only to a lack of time on my part). Past modelers were much easier to set up, I'll give 'em that. The Axe just has so many wonderful options available, and it sounds so much better.

I have to mention that one of the few things I'm not grasping is why the position of the master vol (pre-PI/post-PI, etc.) seems to have an undesired effect. I find that running any model with the master post-PI is just unusable, with all preamp dist. That's strange because so many master vol amps are post. The position of the tone stack is hard to grasp too (I mean, it's post on many Dumbles, correct?).

I'm not completely convinced that those two aspects are modeled perfectly yet. (Note: "yet".) Or, maybe I need to research this more on the Axe forum.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  8. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

Most amps are Pre-PI, including Dumbles. Post-PI is rare and often does as a mod. This causes the PI to distort rather than the power tubes. It is a harsher sound.

9. pima1234

Thank you Cliff! That is so helpful. My ears don't lie (the pre has been the best choice). If I knew more about amp design, it would help, but my ears tell the tale and get me most of the way there for now.

I have one amp that I'm certain is post, and the sound is different than other amps. (Oh, that just makes so much sense now. Wow!)

I often wonder how Bill Landry designed his channel volume and then final master. The Landry LS100 would be an amp to profile!

And thank you for v.9! I have much to learn and a long way to go to get there. But I will enjoy the ride and the education.

10. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

For me the Axe has been without a doubt the best money I ever spent in music gear, in many many years as a full time musician.. and I've bought/sold a lot of gear over the years.. :) Axe II has been mature enough for a very long time..and somehow it still keeps getting better with each firmware upgrade..unreal support from Fractal!!

11. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

I agree on the getting better still.

12. pima1234

There is almost always going to be room for improvement with any gear and certainly with the user (I'm speaking for myself here). Knowing how to get the most out it could take a lifetime, just like learning guitar. Enjoy the ride.