Axe Matchbox^3 + Bludojai = HecticH20Melon

This is a new idea I began this past weekend to get to know Logic Pro X...maybe for for the next Hectic Watermelon album too. All guitars and bass are direct into Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+. Suhr Classic T and Ernie Ball SM PAF. Most gtrs are setup variations on Dee Cee 30/Matchbox D-30 with either gritty gain (approx. light ToneFreak Albunai) or with Zen Drive (approx. XTS Precision OD. The chorus overdriven melody is Bludojai LD. Superior Drummer grooves. I look forward to arranging and tracking with live drums, proper bass player...adding solos, etc. Pretty fresh off the presses, but I hope you enjoy.

Great stuff, John, can't wait for more Hectic music!
Thanks for listening to this experiment, Vlad. Chris Taylor talked me into trying Logic Pro X on a fresh new computer as an alternative to an exorbitant "upgrade" from my dead PT HD rig. Now that I'm getting the hang of it more, there will definitely be more music flowing to disk!

Campfired

Good work, John...the double-stops were working for you, and the lead break was pretty cool...may I ask, how easy was it to work with Logic Pro X? Wondering if a transition from GarageBand would be a wise choice...?

DøøG

Which Garageband do you have Bob? The older versions you could do a lot of editing, the newer Gband it's a biotch, IMO. I have Logic Pro 9, and it's not bad if you're used to Gband. I made the switch and never looked back...

Campfired

Which Garageband do you have Bob? The older versions you could do a lot of editing, the newer Gband it's a biotch, IMO. I have Logic Pro 9, and it's not bad if you're used to Gband. I made the switch and never looked back...
The most recent version of GB.

My recording rig is mostly a Two-Notes Torpedo Live and Focusrite Saffire PRO 40...GarageBand is notorious for not allowing anything but 44.1 KHz sampling rate...and the Two-Notes runs exclusively at 48/96 KHz. The trade-off using GB is to not use the Two-Notes S/PDIF as a master word clock and disconnect the S/PDIF so as to allow use of the 44.1 KHz sampling rate in the Focusrite/GarageBand...a tip I learned from Two-Notes tech support several months ago...

In the next few months, possibly when it comes time to upgrade to a new iMac, I'd happily upgrade to Logic Pro X and import my old GarageBand files into Logic Pro X...the features are far superior than GB, versatility-wise, and might prove less difficult trying to set up my Focusrite with Logic than GB...at least the Focusrite website has tutorials getting started with Logic Pro that might prove helpful compared to what I've been unable to do so far with GB...:oops:

DøøG

You'l love Logic, I'm sure. The earlier Gband versions it was easier to edit stuff together, like I said before. I just use it now for quick demo things, and use it less and less as I get more familiar with Logic. At the price point, it's really a no-brainer. Good Luck!!!

Good work, John...the double-stops were working for you, and the lead break was pretty cool...may I ask, how easy was it to work with Logic Pro X? Wondering if a transition from GarageBand would be a wise choice...?
Thanks, as others have mentioned, Logic Pro X is a quantum lead in capabilities from Garageband. Personally speaking--coming from the PT HD environment, it was a little awkward getting used to a very different editor and other details, but after two weeks on and off, my work flow is becoming more efficient. There are tons of support materials out there. I remember learning PT in the 90's just doing it all with the manual and deconstructing the demo sessions. Yikes. Now, there's a youtube video for ever little detail of Logic Pro X. It is very deep. If you get a new iMac quad, I suggest getting the lowest RAM and then making a strategy buy with OWC RAM. You can now double the factory RAM install count with OWC or similar. I have not done this yet since I will be replacing my PT interfaces with Universal Audio which also have processors built in to run their amazing plug ins. For the time being, I'm just writing and recording straight through the Axe FX USB ins.

Campfired

Thanks, as others have mentioned, Logic Pro X is a quantum lead in capabilities from Garageband. Personally speaking--coming from the PT HD environment, it was a little awkward getting used to a very different editor and other details, but after two weeks on and off, my work flow is becoming more efficient. There are tons of support materials out there. I remember learning PT in the 90's just doing it all with the manual and deconstructing the demo sessions. Yikes. Now, there's a youtube video for ever little detail of Logic Pro X. It is very deep. If you get a new iMac quad, I suggest getting the lowest RAM and then making a strategy buy with OWC RAM. You can now double the factory RAM install count with OWC or similar. I have not done this yet since I will be replacing my PT interfaces with Universal Audio which also have processors built in to run their amazing plug ins. For the time being, I'm just writing and recording straight through the Axe FX USB ins.
Thanks, John.

In the next few weeks, I might be able to scrape some cash together to consider purchasing Logic Pro X and having a go at some audio recording with my Two-Notes amp sim. I've only downloaded a couple of Focusrite's free Red compressor plug-ins, yet might consider some extra plug-ins for a wider variety of mastering capability.

My iMac currently runs a 1 TB memory with 2.7 GHz 8GB DRAM i5 Core with Fusion Drive (much faster than simple ATA drive or flash memory). Do you think this is adequate for my needs, or would it be more wise to wait until purchasing an iMac with higher processor speed and better DRAM?

My preference is to not run an external RAM, but something that works within the iMac itself.

Trending Topics