Axe Xl Fw 9.03 -v- Helix Fw 2.30 => Dc30 Ch 1 And Trainwreck .... Crunchy Crunchy Crunch !

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by benifin, Jan 1, 2018.

1. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

You don't really have to mislabel them. Just don't divulge which sample belongs to which modeler and take a poll.

2. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

That would be fun.

shred440 and mikah912 like this.
  3. Ni6htWalker

Ni6htWalker Member

is was me who made the decision to buy the AX8 because i used to have the Axe FX 2,also i had the Helix for one month but didnt like it,my italian friend was just telling his opinion on those 3 devices.

in a blind test i dont really care who wins but for sure i never have headache or stomach ache like you said,i love my AX8,period.

4. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

5. jpelzel

jpelzel Member

Shampoo is better.

6. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Conditioner is better. It makes the hair silky and smooth.

7. MatchFive

Filet mignon is better

8. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

Naked girls who like to party with older guys are the best!

vinceh likes this.
  9. MatchFive

This is true

10. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

Being very familiar with the tone and response of real KF built Trainwreck Express amps I’ll comment.
    THE most important aspect of these amps, and I’ll repeat, THE most important aspect IMHO is their ability to be controlled from the guitar for a wide range from dirty to clean. A lot of amps do this to a certain extent, though the trick with the Trainwreck is when you back your guitar down for cleans it doesn’t actually get much quieter if at all. Also another aspect is when you back the guitar down the tone doesn’t get too thin, muddy, or degraded in some other way. It should almost feel like you are playing a channel switcher, that you simply work the guitar knobs to control it instead of changing presets or hitting a channel button on the floor. Personally I like the tone is the clips, but without showing the clean to mean range its only telling a lesser part of the story.

benifin and MIJLOVER like this.
  11. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

This was actually what shocked me the most when I tried the new TW model in Helix. It's so dynamic in a unique way compared to other amps. It's so much fun just messing with the volume and tone controls on the guitar with this amp, or even just playing softly with you fingers instead of a pick :)

benifin likes this.
  12. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Thanks for the compassion Ben. Both did a great job. I wouldn't say one was better than the other, just a bit different. Love that TW in Helix, blazing.

I think when you set these up as comparisons, maybe it would be great to have the corresponding clips side by side? Other than that, cook clips!

benifin likes this.
  13. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

Great comparison. Thanks for the unbiased and un-abashed approach to this. I hate the ones that ask you to decide which is which, but I also hate how everyone pics the goodness of each in these comparisons to try and say "the one that I bought is better than the one you bought".

bottom line - like or hate the tone - these clips sound as much like a real amp/pedal rig as you could possibly hope for. This new technology (Helix, AXx, Zoom, Atomic, etc....) with modeling and IRs is the wave of the future. When I can grab a 14lb (or less) all-in-one device, a couple of cables and a guitar and get tones like this... I'm a happy camper.

if I want the U/I of the Helix, or the more compact size of the AX, Atomic, etc... or the 3D pedal and tube booster of the Zoom G5, it's out there and available to all of us. They all have different features that draw us in to one or the other (or, if you're able, you can have them all!), and I, for one, am happy that we have this now.

Because of this technology, I'm playing MORE, getting TONS more varied sounds on stage, and not spending NEARLY as much $$ in the long run flipping pedals, building huge pedal boards, etc... and it takes me less time and much less space to do it.

We should all be happy that there are different ways to enjoy this stuff. I know I am!

14. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Yeah, but which one is better?

;)

15. benifin

benifin Supporting Member

Thanks [mostly :)] all for the comments.

The whole point of this exercise is not "the best crunch" tone ..... nor that "one is better than the other" etc..... actually ... the specifc tone dialed-in, is for the purposes of this thread, totally irrelevant.

It is simply a way of showing - primarily to me and my ears - that 2 top end modelers like the Axe and Helix, when dialed in the same with the same IR's etc.... are extremely close sonically .... and the differences, to the extent that they exist, can be "dialled-in-or-out" very quickly, either way, if you want or wish.

Thanks to those of you that took it in the the spirit within which is was done.

For me - to my ears - and for the Amps I want - there is simply no reason to [now] keep both the Helix and the Axe .... so given their respective and relative sonic quality and equivalence ... and there is no doubt at all to me and my ears at just how good each unit is ..... keeping the Helix floor is, to me, simply a no brainer.

As always though, each to their own [ears] !

All the best to all,
    Ben

16. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

If forced to choose, for me it would be the Helix... considering that the tones are so close that if this were a blind test, I doubt any of us would choose A or B consistently as "better" .. but with Helix, I get a built-in expression pedal and a user interface that I can build all my patches easily without the need to plug into a computer.

And, for the record, I preferred the Helix tones in this set of clips anyway, since they had more of that "amp in the room" sound to my ears... more like a real guitar cab.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  17. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

I think this thread served that very purpose pretty well.
    To me it's just clear that - minus some functionality, quality of some FX and a bunch of certain amp models - each and every of the current top of the line modelers (Helix, Axe, Kemper, Amplifie and probably Headrush) can get you there. "There" being the ballpark of absolutely professional guitar sounds.

18. porcytree

porcytree Member

IMO the Fractal sounded a little "fuller" and warmer. ( the Helix sounded like some of the frequency range were being filtered out slightly )

Haven't got either unit ( and I'm unlikely to ever want to spend the required amount of cash to own either unit - so I'm not a Fractal fan-boy or a Helix hater)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Guitardave, benifin and MIJLOVER like this.
  19. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I own the AX8. Both of the above sets of clips sound great to me. I couldn't pick a favorite based on the above, and I 100% of the time always tweak or write a program to work for me anyway, but I'd use all of those above sounds easily in any of my music. Thanks for posting

Eric

20. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

This.
    And really, I never ever cared whether a sound would be 1% closer to whatever role model or not.
    I have certain demands regarding my sound, but all of them have more to do with dynamic feel and "cut through in a live context potential" than with anything else, let alone whatever "Hey, Jimi could've played that Plexi" thoughts. I couldn't care less, seriously.

ericb likes this.