Axe3ites Crack me Up!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Uncle Mike, Mar 14, 2018.

1. fretworn

fretworn Member

Please ... This is TGP ... clearly enough struggle to start a thread on the issue and classify it as a eat their young feeding frenzy.

Take the specious reasoning somewhere else ... lol.

mickelodeon and SteveO like this.
  2. AdInfinitum

AdInfinitum Member

From personal experience, Fractal’s wait list is a significant improvement over when the AXE II was released. Fractal would put a few every day on the purchase site. You had to watch all day, keep pressing F5 to refresh the page (many had to have their F5 finger amputated), and hope that you could get your credit card and mailing info in before you got “sorry, no longer avaialble.”

Guys started using bots to beat everyone else. After a few days of this frustration, i contacted Cliff and asked if could I drive to NH and pick one up. He was generous enough to say “yes.” I then drove from Long Island to NH and back the same day, but did come home with the AxeII and the MFC. Only took about 14 hours due to rain, accidents, and traffic coming home.

Crazy, Insane, OCD for a piece of gear, but Fractal products are worth the effort. For AxeIII, I luckily enough went on the forum and saw the announcement around noon Day 1. Usually, i check my gear sites after i get up before work, but, of course, that day had to get some trademarks filed for a client.

The wait list is a fair way to take orders, especially when each unit has to have firmware updated, burned in, tested, packed by hand. Worse when bomb cyclones keep dumping snow and downing power lines every few days.

When the Kemper was first released, i bought it from Thomann’s and had it shipped to NY.

One of these days, i should play the Axe and the kemper, but i want to keep them NMIB.

Only kidding about the NMIB.

3. skinvoyager

skinvoyager Supporting Member

Ehhh....marketing is kinda my profession, but what do I know? "Dynamic pricing" is generally reserved for airfare, hotel prices, etc. This of course is used to maximize profit, but also to be competitive and responsive to the fluctuating prices of direct competitors. When employed in retail, it may have supply/demand triggers but again, is used for making prices competitive. And it's almost always retailers, not manufacturers.

In your example, Fractal would change their prices just to capitalize on the anticipation of a new product, not to be competitive. That's brand suicide.

(And Apple, with very rare exceptions, does not have sales or promotions. Retailers like Target give away gift cards. It's a loss leader for them, and they eat the loss. And by the way, research overwhelmingly shows people HATE dynamic pricing. Ever sit next to someone on a plane and find out their ticket cost half of what you paid?)

I think it's awesome that people are so excited about a product they're willing to pay extra. Good for Fractal. I know you're a Line 6 guy (I own an AX8 and a Helix), but why do you care so much? Maybe it's just me, but it seems like you have an Axe to grind (pun intended). :rolleyes:

mickelodeon and 4b454e like this.
  4. fazer

fazer Member

Actually, I think dynamic pricing would just place Fractal Audio as an organisation which prioritises a more wealthy clientele. That may work for them or it may not.

5. Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike Supporting Member

Way to serious and sensitive, the shark feeding frenzy has been censored by the politically correct segment. :cool:

6. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I seem to recall that being an option back in the Ultra days. There was a waitlist price and then there was an "I want it now" price that was a few hundred higher.

Guitardave likes this.
  7. fretworn

fretworn Member

Just how was it censored? It’s still here and up isn’t it? That’s not censorship ... It’s just a different perspective on the nature of this thread.

And what the heck is politically correct about pointing that out… Just what the hell does politics have to do with it, or any one’s sense of correct?

Perhaps that’s your beef; you'd prefer the TGP Collective hive-mind all singing in unison to bash some FAS customer enthusiasm over a new product release.

Have it buttercup - all you want.

8. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

As far as caring, I don't really care... Why does anyone comment about anything here? I only care insofar that I said I don't like the idea of signing up for waitlist to get an invite to buy a product. That's just me. Other people are fine with it.

As far as the whole dynamic pricing, I guess it's just a matter of definitions. To me, having a sale or a promotion is a form of dynamic pricing, it's not necessarily thought of that way. Even though people will say they hate it, their actions say otherwise. Black Friday is still the biggest shopping day of the year, and that seems to be mostly driven by people believing they can get better prices that day than other days throughout the year. The only point I'm making is that we actually encounter this type of stuff more than we realize, it's just that we don't always see the underlying mechanisms driving it.

9. 3dognate

3dognate Member

the ax8 list was brutal

nicolasrivera likes this.
  10. lessthan12

lessthan12 Member

Just the chassis and a few of the boards are being made overseas(which could change with the tariff I believe) They are still being built by Fractal in NH

MIJLOVER and Old Guy like this.
  11. Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike Supporting Member

I thought I was clear......

I censored myself (I updated my post so folks know I self censored the image) ....... after I was called mean-spirited. Truth is, I was being anything but. I was making light of the AxeFx III feeding frenzy. A bit of parody perhaps, but no mean spirited intent there as I noted.

Yours truly,
    Buttercup

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    fretworn, ejecta and JiveTurkey like this.
  12. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

Yep. Cliff was very clear that some of the electrical components for the III were held up in China, and they were waiting for the shipment so they could complete the builds and then eventually off to the clients.

13. Joeexistrat

Joeexistrat Member

It's just funny as all hell the FracHeads dumping their AXE II's just to have that $$$ and many of them taking a BATH lol...I've even seen people that bought brand spanking new AXE II'S, had them 2 or 3 months and bam once the III is announced goes up for sale.

GoTTZ T0O GHETZ D'ATTS AXE TREZE BRUH!!!!!

Have some restraint guys ;)

14. webe123

webe123 Member

This is why I wait on PURPOSE for at least six months after an axe fx release before even thinking about purchasing another one! The utter stupidity of the waiting lists....which I absolutely hate...in a time when they have already had THREE other models and have had ample time to get their act together as far as manufacturing the new units. Still you have to wait! Does not make any sense to me. Which is why I wait and get one USED and avoid all the crap about "I have to sell my unit at the lowest price just so I can have a new one"! And in the mean time enjoy the axe fx II I have. The whole "sell your right arm" just to get an the newest axe fx is stupid.You do not have to go through this with most products by other manufacturers. But it is always the same old song and dance at Fractal.....you have to wait every single time a new axe fx unit is released. Screw that! I will wait and get one when there is no waiting list and people are not scrambling to buy the newest one .....AND I can get a decent price for my used unit. PLUS....the advantage is that the unit has settled down as far as bugs or needing updates. If you are going to go for a new unit I have found out this is the best way to go....you avoid all the headaches and hassles that come with trying to buy a piece of hardware from Fractal.

15. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Supporting Member

Part of it could be the support model's downside. The fact that the 2 will likely be slowing to stopping in terms of updates takes away a significant value proposition for Fractal for older gear. It wont sound any worse, but it's not going to get better, and I believe 98% of AXEIII buyers are buying based on the fact that AXEIII is going to get better.

16. skinvoyager

Seems like we’re getting further and further from your original comment about how it’s wrong for people to profit by flipping a piece of gear, and any extra money should go to the manufacturer, maybe via an auction.

Now you’re saying people like getting things on sale. No argument here.

17. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

I don’t think flipping is wrong at all. Where there’s strong demand it will happen. I would just rather see the manufacturer get some of that extra money rather than a random flipper. Generally, if there’s a shortage involving a luxury-type item (a non-necessity), it just means there is room for the price to be higher. It just seems to me that the demand is such for the Axe III is high enough that it probably could be a few hundred dollars more without affecting sales a lot.

If the choices were spending an extra $200 more now versus getting on a waitlist for awhile, there’s probably quite a few people who would choose the first.

Toosday likes this.
  18. skinvoyager

Respectfully disagree.

First, you can’t have it both ways. You say you don’t mind flippers, but want the manufacturer to get some of that. How would that work? If the manufacturer set the price higher, there is no margin for a flip.

And to make the conclusion that because a small fraction of customers are willing to pay an inflated premium price for a flipped unit means that the actual price of the unit should be set higher is a fallacy. Setting prices is a delicate science. You have to weigh your hard costs, overhead, desired profit margin, and look at what the competition is doing or may be doing. Set the price high and make a larger margin but sell less units, or set the price lower and sell more at a lower margin. You have to really know your customers and what your market will bear.

The fact that there a handful of people who “need to have it now” and are willing to pay more for it doesn’t mean the price is wrong.

And this whole thread is about the AXE III waiting list. I’m on it. Seems like a fair way to prioritize sales when there’s scarcity. And I’m pumped about the new system, not because I need to have something new, but because it represents a push in the technology and it has the reserve power to add potential functionality and usability. Not sure how much better the sound can get, but didn’t we all think 1080p TV was as good as it could get?

19. Madmax25

Madmax25 Member

Exactly. If there’s no margin left for a flip, the extra cash that made up the previous margin goes to Fractal. That was kinda the point...

I believe the idea was to only raise the price in the beginning, when supply is low and demand is high. Then once supply starts to catch up, lower the price again.

I know Phil doesn’t need me or anyone else to back up his statements, but you seem a little over eager to overthrow his argument, which was really only an opinion. But then again, you ARE on the waiting list, so I guess you have a dog in this race...

20. Yek

Yek Member

Supply might not be the only reason for the wait list. FAS is a small company. Assembly, firmware setup, quality control etc. is in the hands of a relatively small group of people. So there’s a practical limitation to the number of units they can get out each day at peak times, I presume.

A wait list is the most fair method IMO. Auctioning (highest bidder) would be the absolute worst one. It would set up buyers against each other and initiate hyped prices, instead of establishing a healthy business-to-consumer relationship