AXEFW10 users......try the SLO with the new EVM12L 4x12

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ptgold, Apr 14, 2013.

1. ptgold

ptgold Member

O....M.....G

Alone its awesome but also try mixing the IR with another cab in stereo like the M75 4x12, OwnHammer Bogner G12M 4x12, etc. Amazing

This is the perfect SLO100 sound....for me at least. This firmware really upgraded this particular model as it meshes much better with different IRs now.

One thing Ive noticed is the SLO on FW10 has much more gain on tap, like massive liquid gobs of molten lava gain, much more than ever before. Where before Id prefer the Drive setting on 4-5, now 3 or even 2 on the dial is more than enough. The sustain is mind blowing.

Oh....if youre playing alone or at home make sure to dial the Depth knob to 2.0 . Its the hugest, fattest, clearest, most holy shitballest lead tone on the planet.

Ive wanted an SLO since I was a little kid. This Firmware took away some of that craving. Im definitely planning on owning a real one in the future though.

2. Yek

Yek Member

3. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

The gain is actually almost identical to before. However the taper of the drive control changed which can make it seem like it has more gain. In V10 the taper of the controls matches the amp.

4. suparsonic

suparsonic Member

I like the SLO in the Axe better than my real SLO. The Axe is not brittle on the O/D chanel or boomy on the rythmn chanel like the original, good work.

5. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

SLOs are brittle at low volumes. When you crank them up it smooths out. The problems is at cranked volumes they can kill small animals.

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

...and many mid-sized animals.

I played a SLO half stack at volume in an amp room at Pontiac Music and Sound years ago (mid-90's) and about got vertigo from the SPL being put out. So loud I started getting tunnel vision. :D

7. boanerges

boanerges Member

“People come to my concerts just to lose weight. I tell ‘em to sit up real close—makes their ears bleed; it’s good for them. One time a pigeon—and this is true—a pigeon flew in front of my speakers and just literally disintegrated, man, just melted.”
    Ted Nugent, interview in Guitar Player—August, 1979. This was Fender amps, though, not Soldanos.

8. ptgold

ptgold Member

True, I just noticed that. It doesnt seem to add much more gain past 12-1oclock but the saturation starts much sooner, like instantly

9. ptgold

ptgold Member

10. Genghis

Genghis Member

LOL. I remember reading that interview when I was a kid just starting out. Laughed my ass off at some of his quotes.

And yeah, I'm enjoying the Soldano a lot in FW10. Best hi-gain lead sound I've got going. I'll have to check it out with the EV cab.

One of my friends just picked up an Axe-FX II a couple of weeks ago and hasn't dug in deeper than doing some recording with slight tweaks to presets and he's putting off upgrading to FW10 until he finishes up the track he's working on and has a little time. I sent him a clip I did with leads using the Yellow Triaxis and the SLO trading off. He texted me within a half hour asking what amp I used on the second lead. Of course it was the SLO. Now he's thinking he's gonna try to find time to get 10 installed sooner than he thought. He really liked the way it cut through without piercing. That amp has serious tone. For that matter everything I've tried in 10 has turned out to be a bigger improvement than I thought possible. Awesome job Cliff!

11. Yek

Yek Member

Well, that's open for discussion. :)

When searching the net, I found many, many posts of players disliking V30s with the SLO-100. Much too bright. Warren Hayes uses a V30 cab, but he has his SLO modded for less brittle.

Cab suggestions in the wiki only regard "traditional" matches, because everything else is subjective. I included EVMs, because Eric Clapton used them with his SLO and many other players seem to like the combination too.

Main cabs are -of course- the Soldano cabs themselves (proprietary speakers), which are included as stock cabs (Red Wirez). I like the RW Legend V12s, with DYN57 / R121 mic simulation.

12. hippietim

hippietim Member

An SLO on 6-7 is an absolute glorious sound. Same with a Twin. The only minor problem is having to be in the same room as one of those things at that volume.

I got to play through a very famous player's Silver Jubilee half stack the other day. At moderate volumes it sounded fizzy and nasty. On 7 it was ****ing incredible.

13. ptgold

ptgold Member

True. But you know ive found that those V30 cabs (bogner,kalthallen) mix well with alot of marshally flavored amps. Most other V30 cab irs inside the AXE or from other 3rd parties are way too harsh for my tastes. I guess it depends on the cab

14. Phostenix

Phostenix Member

Yek,

It looks like Soldano uses Emminence Legend V1216 speakers in their cabs. Is there an IR in the Axe for that?

15. trainwrecker

trainwrecker Member

This is what I remember my SLO doing, gaining out then increasing compression and saturation.

I'm really impressed with the V10 SLO as well. Awesome job.

16. ptgold

ptgold Member

not Yek but yes there is actually 2 different Soldano Cab Irs. One includes the V12 legends and the other is the S12X i believe.

The S12X is way too dark IMO. the V12 IR is sounds good however I prefer mixing it in stereo with something else as I dont dig it by itself.

17. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins?

now you guys are making me have to go home and try this tonite..now I will probably end up with yet another "new" favorite tone!

18. Phostenix

Phostenix Member

You mean, if I had looked at the wiki I would have found everything I needed to know? Ha!

Thanks!

19. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Where's the "THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT CLIPS" smiley? :)

20. 3dognate

3dognate Member

I had a SLO for a long time with a Soldano X1200 loaded 4x12... I replaced the stock speakers with WGS Veteran 30s and dropped a pair of the Soldano speakers in a 2x12. I had another 2x12 loaded with Eminence Legend M12. And darned if they didn't sound absolutely identical.