AxeFX Foot Controllers - LF Jr vs. Rocktron All Access

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by mtmartin71, Dec 21, 2009.

1. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

I have the Rocktron All Access that I bought used. I don't really NEED all the IAs as I only seem to have a need for a few depending on the song. The thing (I think) that the LF Jr has is a tuner display capability and the ability to read my patches on the display. I think the cost of selling mine and buying a LF Pro new will be a wash. So, pros and cons of the two vs. each other?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. banjoze

banjoze Supporting Member

I just bought a mixer stand for my 4 slot rack and now I can see the tuner on the Axe easily. Why can't you see yours? Bigger rack? Axefx on the floor?

3. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

You said LF Jr. in the title but LF Pro in your post, so I'm not sure which unit you're considering. I went with the LF Jr. over something like the All Access because I wanted the tuner display and patch display more than I needed the multitude of IA switches. Also, with the LF Jr. there's so much you can do with IA switches - linking, grouping, step programming, etc - that it's hard to imagine needing more control.

4. solo-act

solo-act Member

The little giant is worth considering. It packs immense functionality and an excellent graphic display into a small footprint.

5. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Does anyone know the average wait time for a LF jr?

6. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I got mine in about 2 weeks. Recently I've heard wait times between 1 and 4 weeks.

7. mtmartin71

Thanks...I made the change to my OP. I'm thinking the LF Jr may be nice for me as I don't need all the IAs and it's integrated better with the AxeFX which is the only reason I'm using a MIDI controller to begin with. Anyone want a Rocktron All Acess? ;)

8. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I've been gigging with mine for about two months now and am really happy with it. The display is beautiful, the tuner function works great, and it has an absolute ton of functionality. It will do anything. I particularly like the Song/Setlist features. I use a bunch of different presets, and the ability to organize them all into songs and then just step through the entire setlist is really nice. Completely eliminates having to remember where you have presets stored.

Programming it is a bit challenging. There is a PC software editor that makes things a bit easier, but it still takes some time to wrap your head around things. If you get one, I'd be happy to help with any programming challenges you run into.

9. mtmartin71

Thanks a bunch for the offer. Whereabouts in Denver are you?

10. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Probably within minutes of you. I work in Broomfield (Interlocken), live in Thornton.

11. mtmartin71

We are very close indeed...

To you or others, what power are you using with the LF Jr? I noticed he sells a 9V AC adapter at 1000mA output. I'd like to get rid of the brick size adapter and use a One Spot or similar which supports up to 1700mA and will fit in my 3 space rack. The Rocktron All Access wouldn't power up with my old one so I had to put a little extension on the back of my rack power to dangle it off of the back and plug in...I'd like to avoid that with this pedal.

12. iaresee

iaresee Supporting Member

The OneSpot is DC. Make sure the LF can use DC before plugging that in to it. The adapter Jeff sells is AC.

Also: if you're looking to offload that Rocktron: PM me. :)

13. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I'm using the one he sells with the LF.

14. mtmartin71

Is his on the bigger side or the smaller side? I'd prefer something that will fit in a 1U space.

15. mtmartin71

What's the best way to get a hold of Jeff? The OneSpot does offer a reverse polarity extension though. Seems like that would work too.

I'll PM you on the other...

16. axelicker

axelicker Member

A 1A 9vac power adapter is quite compact, literally half the size of the Rocktron 2A brick.
    Why are we discussing "I don't need all the IA's?" You can set it to have 0, 5, or 10 IA's , so that the other switches act as PC switches. I typically ran it to have 5 IA's and it was great having 10 Programs on-hand - pretty much never had to change banks.
    To me there are 2 reasons to pick the LF JR: you want a smaller stage footprint, you need it's vastly more powerful CC capability.
    OK 3 reasons LOL......you are incensed about paying more today for a product that hasn't changed since it was released 10+ yrs ago and is very outdated in terms of it's feature set. Oh...and the firmware will never be updated BTW. Don't get me wrong, the AA is bomber-reliable and a great product, but it has definite limitations with IA's and CC's.

I thought the LF Jr a great product. I'm awaiting a Gordius now to replace it for a couple of specific reasons.

17. iaresee

From the Liquid Foot website it says both the Jr and the Pro require 9V AC 1000 mA. That means you can't use the OneSpot to power them I'm afraid. It's not a polarity problem, the way the electricity is being transmitted is completely different. See here and here for an AC vs. DC explanation.

Got it. Thanks!

18. mtmartin71

Well, the things the AA doesn't give me for the AxeFX are 1) Tuner Display on controller 2) reading of patch names from the AxeFX and 3) small footprint. What I meant to say is that I don't really use that many IAs in real time with the AA such that a reduction would be fine for me. I realize the AA can be configured for less IAs, but the list of reasons above is why I want to move from it for me personally.

Out of curiosity, what does the Gordius have that the LF Jr doesn't? Would think (without comparing) it would be more expensive for a US person and also, I don't know if I could get along with the look and design of it. But, I don't know much about it.

19. mtmartin71

Thanks for this info. I get it now. I wish there were some space saving or side-based supply. The standard config means that I may have problems with the bottom of the cord pressing up against the AxeFX below it with no space. Usually not a problem for most as they get a 4 space rack and leave one open...but, I have a 3 space rack and my power supply has a vertical orientation on the strip. I don't know that I have a way to see if I can fit a standard one, but it sounds like I'll have to use my klugy extension cord method or look for a different controller.

20. iaresee

I know exactly what you mean. I too use a 3U rack with my Axe-Fx and fitting the power supply in for my Lexicon R1 is a tight squeeze. What I did was cut myself a very short (like 6") extension cord and used that to connect the wall wart to the rack mounted power bar. I used a little velcro on the top of the Axe-Fx to stick the wall wart to the unit so it wouldn't slide around. It just fit between the top of the Axe-Fx and the top of the case this way and I didn't have to worry about the pins on the wart lining up with the plug on the power bar.