AxeFx II + HD500 as a foot controller ?

mindseye

Hi folks I was just wondering how a HD500 would work as a MIDI foot controller for a AxeFx II.....will it do basic patch changes? Can it be set up to turn individual F/x on and off?......what about the rocker pedal, can it control the wah's in the Axe?

What would be the biggest limitation using the HD500 with the Axe?

Thanks for looking!!

PinkPanther

If that's the only reason you would buy the POD, I think you're better off with a $200 controller that is less than half the price of the HD. On the other hand if you're looking to keep as backup to utilize the amp modeling in the HD then you still have to wait until the AXE II come out and make sure that there isn't any incompatibilities. If it works it will do everything that you asked, you just have to read the MIDI mapping chapter in each device and set up accordingly.

As far as AXE I, it seems that a few people had success with no issues using hd as a controller. I'm not saying it won't work, it actually should work in the MIDI in, but should and would don't always go hand in hand when connecting different midi instruments. make sure you go the fractal website when you get your AXE II, because AXE I has a known issue with t a certain midi device so the AXE II might not like the HD very much who knows. That's not intended to be funny. For instance I read this from the fractal website and I don't even own an AXE, but it's good to be careful before you hook different makers devices with midi cables together.

"Warning: Do not attempt to update firmware using an RME FireFace 800 MIDI adapter. There is a known issue with this adapter that may render your unit inoperable"

mindseye

Thanks for the info Mr. PinkPanther.....I already own the HD500, bought it when they first came out. This will be my first venture into Axe land and before I go and spend big bucks on a floor board just for MIDI use I figured I'd try the HD with the Axe to see if it's going to work for me in the long run.

Dr Git

If your willing to drop Axe Fx $$$, it only makes sense to use their Footcontroller....Its an awesome piece of equipment in itself. I have yet to see a footcontroller do all it does

Den

Gold Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
If you do a search here and on the Fractal board, you should find a few threads on this topic. I had considered the same thing at one point, hoping to have a good footcontroller that could serve as a backup ... but from what I remember from others who tried this, the HD500 will work, but is limited in it's functionality as a midi control board compared to some of the dedicated offerings. And as Dr. Git pointed out, for a few more $$$'s, the Fractal footcontroller offers ultimate flexibility and convenience.

jdolll

Silver Supporting Member
In short yes it will turn on/off effects and will control wahs as well, but read up on your midi setup skills. You need to individually assign control changes to switches. For the extra money the fractal board is absolutely worth it IMO.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
In short yes it will turn on/off effects and will control wahs as well, but read up on your midi setup skills. You need to individually assign control changes to switches. For the extra money the fractal board is absolutely worth it IMO.
Depends...

I, for instance, am considering getting an Axe in the future and already own an HD 500, which I'd keep as backup. So the Hd 500 is a "free" foot controller.

It's dreadfully easy to set up your footswitches for MIDI functions.

The "extra money that's worth it" is a LOT for a lot of us...

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I would go one of two directions:

Get the Mustang III with the four button footswitch -- perfect backup configuration, footswitch already there for you, $300.
Rocktron Midi Mate = $150 or less used with 7 pin midi cable (so you can phantom power over midi from the AxeFX).

- or -

MFC

Trending Topics