AxeFX II+ Owners: Dirt Effects?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by rsm, Apr 7, 2015.

1. rsm

rsm Member

Are you using the drive effect blocks in your AxeFX II (Ultra or Standard, thanks but not really relevant) or greater? If not, why not? If you are using dirt in your AxeFx please elaborate on how it is working for you.

I'm trying to decide on another pedal board vs. FX8. I've seen a few people say they still use outboard dirt with their AxeFx II, XL, etc.

Trying to get a sense of the dirt capabilities / limitations...

FWIW, My dirt needs are basic / pedestrian; I like Boss DS-1, SD-1 and EH BMPwTW for dirt.

2. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

Pre-Axe-FX, I was an overdrive addict. With my earlier modelers (the entire POD series, Boss GTs, Vox Tonelab) I had to have an OD in the chain to get good higher-gain tones.

Enter the Axe-Fx - the amps sound SO good, I almost completely quit using the drives. And I don't miss them. But most of my patches have a drive block that I can toggle at need and they sound great.

I've used a bunch of them (and have used them to get clean amps dirty) including the two Tube Screamers, Zen Drive, the various Xotic models, the Surh Riot, the FET - and the newer FAS ODs which are exceptional.

As for limitations - none IMO. I think the Boss DS and SD are in there as well, not sure on the EH. But you will find much to love within the box.

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I've had a lot of dirt boxes pre-Axe-FX days (Boss, Digitech, Barber, Xotic, and *tons* more up to and including a real Klon (when they were "only" $400! (I actually owned that pedal twice))

I don't use dirt stuff with the Axe-FX because I find it unnecessary though if you like them the drive block is good.

Nice part is, you can still use your 'real' dirt boxes with the Axe-FX if you have ones you just love. NO problem.