AxeFx II plugged usb into mfc101 port and now mfc 101 won't work

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by xnuralratiugx, Mar 3, 2012.

1. xnuralratiugx

xnuralratiugx Member

Title says it all. Somehow I accidently plugged my usb into the mfc 101 port and smelled an electrical smell. I quickly pulled it out and prayed for the best. My MFC-101 showed up today and it's not working with the port or through midi. FAS's site seems to be down at the moment but does anyone have any idea if I totally fried my unit?

Also as a side note, I noticed on the MFC the port where you plug in the CAT-5 cable seems a bit flimsy and loose. Has anyone else noticed this?

EDIT Okay so I've been messing with this a bit and it seems that It can still get info from the axe but it won't power on without the 9v pack. I guess it could be worse. I'll have to email them when the site is back up.

2. Willowdale

Willowdale Supporting Member

Someone on the Fractal forum did the same thing. Fractal will fix it for you but I don't know the details. Email them

3. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Do you really think it's reasonable to expect them to fix a unit damaged by user error for free?

If you crash your car into a tree is that covered under warranty?

Coffee poured onto a laptop?

I don't understand the negative attitude toward the manufacturer.

4. xnuralratiugx

xnuralratiugx Member

Ya it was a really stupid mistake. It was right after I got it and was reaching around to plug some stuff in. I don't expect them to fix it for free or anything but I hope it's not hundreds of dollars to just change out the part. The axe itself works just fine still.

5. stratzrus

Things happen...I hope you can get it fixed at a very reasonable price.

6. stratzrus

I just think your post is over the top and way out of line. How you can say it's not negative is beyond me...I wouldn't care what product or manufacturer you were referring to.

Why not wait and see what actually happens instead of making such extreme assumptions?

7. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

Cut a small square of duct tape with a hole in the middle and stick it around the USB port so you can find it by feel.

IIRC the Fractal repair price was dependent on where it fried and what had to be replaced/repaired.

8. xnuralratiugx

xnuralratiugx Member

thats a great idea and I'll be doing this asap

9. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

One thing that a few folks on the Fractal board have done is put together a patch panel that brings the stuff around to the front panel. Mine has USB, Ethercon/RJ45 (for the MFC), XLR (Output 1) and 1/4" (Output 1 & 2) with everything labeled and color coded. Some might find it overkill but the only thing I have to do at the back of the rack is pull out the power plug. All my I/O is at the front of rack.

10. xnuralratiugx

xnuralratiugx Member

I've seen those and have been considering building one. It's a great idea!

11. shasha

shasha Member

Free insurance? Must be nice.

And saying "I'm going to keep it civil" and then going out of your way to try to inflame the situation isn't "keeping it civil." The words bend over and rape? Really civil. :nuts

The guy made a mistake, it's unfortunate that the jacks are similarly sized and it's obviously something that no one wants to have happen. But it did happen and it's not unreasonable for a company to charge for repairs for damage caused by misuse or mistakes. Its obvious that something got smoked in there and if you have anyone fix an electronic device they aren't charging $4.50/hour. Figure parts, labor and shipping both ways is going to add up. And all of those are 'real' costs.

12. aleclee

13. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

Yup, highway robbery. We charged the last guy who did that a whopping $50.

14. aleclee

Might want to check your "facts" next time. Otherwise, it looks like you're another internet troll with an axe to grind (no pun intended).

15. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

16. randombastage

randombastage Member

You implied, by your analogy, that your insurance is a remarkably more reasonable expense than Fractals repair rates.

I've been buying many types of insurance for decades and dealing with the insurance industry's practices of initially denying claims strictly out of an accounting model that depends on attrition to reduce their over all outlay in spite of the unethical nature of that model. Their bribing legislators to mandate their product is forced on us...and their receipt of unwarranted bailout funds, etc. etc.
    So I can assure you that your logic is a total failure. 'Raped' is a much more accurate description of what insurance companies do than the cost of repairs from Fractal.
    I'm guessing you know that so the reason you decided to make such a lame assertion is obviously suspect to us.

17. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I am still not sure I can picture how someone can plug a USB cable into an RJ-45 jack, and actually make a connection that would draw enough power to damage anything...

18. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

There we have it, from Cliff himself "a whopping $50" and not "a measly $50". Personally, I could understand a measly $50 for such a repair, but a whopping $50. That's just out of line! :)

19. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

The USB cable plug has a metal body which shorts across the pins if you stick it in the RJ-45. The Axe powers the mfc-101 through the RJ-45 jack so among the pins you're shorting are power and ground.

20. hanales

hanales Member

Hmm. Is there constant power being applied to that port? Even with nothing plugged into it?