AxeFX only discussion... monitoring

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Gasp100, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Yep, that's right! AxeFX owners only discussion... others can chime in if they want with some insight, but I'd like to keep this specifically towards monitoring / backling / studio configurations with the AxeFX in particular.
    What monitors are you using for home/home recording?
    What headphones are you using when practicing/playing silently?
    Do you feel comfortable tweaking patches on phones?
    " on studio monitors?
    Is your monitoring solution for personal usage (meaning personal onstage, FOH for main sound) or IS your monitoring your backline as well?
    If so, what are you using (and more importantly) what have you tried?
    Are you implementing any 3rd party IR's into your patches, or have you found the stock IR's work perfectly with your patches (for direct recording AND playing "in out the room" and out live)
    If you are using 3rd parties (the Red Wirez) what mic distances do you happen to use in general to keep down boominess / mic proximity issues?

Thanks for any and all responses... Merry Christmas!

2. Yek

Yek Member

Monitors: Atomic FR. I keep one at home and another one for on the road (backline/monitor).

Headphones: Sony MDR7506 or V700.

I don't tweak using phones, I feel it's not a good representation of the tone and levels.

I'm using Red-Wirez, the farfield ones. The mix is a variation (cap-edge instead of cone, to get a brighter tone) of Scott Peterson's recipes.

3. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I have done a LOT of modeling, although not with an Axe-FX and I have learned a thing or two. I think it might be useful, and I look forward to others chiming in.

1. For me, headphones are useless for tweaking sounds. They sound way different through the PA. I used two or three GOOD headphones, too. GREAT for practice, though.

2. Guitar amps are simply not the best choice for something that's already modeling a guitar amp. Beyond useless imho. This means that when I finally start drinking the Kool-Aid and get one of these, I'll probably want to unload my two very nice tube amps (which would probably pay for an Axe-FX, btw... What am I waiting for...?)

3. Tweaking through the actual PA speakers you are going to play as a band together through... and doing tweaks WHILE the band is playing... is the way to go.

4. Running through a keyboard amp or acoustic guitar amp is also very very useful, espcially if you're mixing acoustic sounds in (as I am).

Something I'm learning right now as I've been back to amps for about a year now. No matter how well you mike your cabinet, something like a newer POD or ToneLab or obviously an Axe might sound MORE like a well-miked tube amp than a miked tube amp. NO lie. I still love my tube amps, but I have to say, I'm starting to get convinced that I need to abandon them someday... again.

Also, a lot easier to get a great crunchy overdrive sound that sings with emulation than with a real amp if you need to be at low volume levels.

All this is coming from a tube amp snob!

4. Gasp100

I guess it was short sighted to make this AxeFX only :) and thanks for the reply. I think you should try to try one of these out if you can... I'm very happy now that I've put some time (what very little time I have) and effort into getting some nice patches going. I would recommend keeping a nice tube amp (even a Champ) around for a while with the AxeFX, even if to A/B against for a while. Things WILL be a little different, but being able to get killer tones at low volumes is HUGE... I posted this last clippage in other threads, I'll post it again here hahaha! I'm just running through some patches of Blackface, adding some pedals, AC30 adding some pedals, JTM45 adding a drive, etc... there is just SO MUCH it's incredible.
    But one of the challenges is getting consistent (and gratifying results) against ALL of your monitoring solutions. I'm zeroing in on another Atomic FR to be able to keep my headphones, studio monitors and "backline" consistent. I'm positive these patches through the Verve 12ma or Atomic FR would sound stellar. The beauty is if someone things certain things could use more of this or that, it's IN the AxeFX ;)

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8525937 (48Khz)
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8525939 (41Khz)

5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Well, in a sense, it doesn't matter what you monitor through. You want to make sure you sound good through the PA. Here's what's sweet about Modelers. In a sense they're not the thing if you want to stand in front of your amp and selfishly suck up the dB. I get tired of tube snobs (yes, i am one) who argue that it doesn't matter what their audience hears or not, as long as they're happy with their tone. Love your audience for goodness sake. When I use a tube amp it's not even on stage with me! I can't even hear it! I monitor through PA monitors, in-ears, or an acoustic amp.

They are the thing if you want to sound great to your audience mainly. And as long as you can hear yourself and play in tune in time and enjoy it, you're golden.

6. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

New Axe-Fx owner here. I have discovered in a very short time how good the Axe-Fx sounds through my trusty HKS-12, 75W powered, 12-inch 2-way, bi-amped Peavey speakers that I have had for 20 years. I also use my Yamaha studio monitors with a subwoofer. I am lucky that I havn't had to go searching for something to play through that sounds good.

7. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

Monitors in my apt: Event 20/20 bas powered

At a friend's home studio I hear playback through her large side-fill monitors which I think are Ross with 1"15" and a horn, there's a pair of Tannoy Reveals for nearfield monitoring too there.

I use AKG 240M Headphones when I need to, but don't attempt to tweak through anything but the Events.

Haven't been playing live, but it's fun sometimes to crank the Axe through a couple of my Marshalls!!

8. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

For home practice and recording I'm using my Axe-fx Ultra with the following:

Motu 828 MKII (interface)
    Genelec 1031A Powered Studio Monitors
    Sennheiser 595 HD Headphones

If I want more volume and tube amp thump I'll run the Ultra through the power amp of my VHT SIG:X and out to a 2x12 with Celestion G12-65's.

I can't say the headphones are a very accurate monitoring option, but they are good for late night playing. Creating presets with the Genelec monitors seem to work quite well when I switch over to the power amp and 2x12 cab.

9. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Studio Monitors: Mackie HR624 (original series)
    Headphones: AKG 240DF or AKG271

I will tweak on headphones, but not for critical stuff. I've owned and used these headphones long enough to know them well, but you can not expect it to translate well in my experience.

I do most of my tweaking with the Mackies and know them well enough that it translates very well 99.999% of the time.

Live I self monitor for myself only. I have not gone backline in a long time.

I have run tube poweramp/conventional speakers; FRFR I have run cheapie Carvin's (Ugg), Mackie (BRIGHT!!), JBL PRX (harsh upper mids), QSC HPR122i (sound very good, too heavy and too big), FBT Verve 8ma (the little monster). Love the 8ma so much want a 12ma to round out for bigger shows.

I love the stock IR's with a PEQ dropped after them; or Red Wire IR's with PEQ added in when creating custom mixes of them just like in a studio.

I do patches/presets that sound good everywhere FRFR. I dial for what I hear as 'good' tone and find that it works no matter the context (live or recording).

Everything depends on the speaker/cabinet used just like in real life. I am very traditional and start with a Royer 121 about 2"-4" off the cap, add in enough SM57 2"-4" off the cap edge to taste. Depending on the speaker and tone I am after I usually add a slight parametric 'fix' depending on what I think each cabinet needs.

10. Sixstring

Sixstring Member

I am using M-Audio BX8a's for near field and Sony 7509 cans for silent monitoring. I find the BX8a's are very different from what I get out of the Verves or main PA that I play through.

The head phones are a whole other issue. I find I need to make different presets for those. I still have yet to dive into the Redwire IR's you sent me.

11. iaresee

iaresee Member

I use KRK Rokit 5's (the bigger ones...whatever they are) at home and Senn HD280 Pro cans. The cans are deadly bass-heavy but the KRK translate well to live and loud.

Live I've been using the house monitors but I'm about to start self-monitoring just my own sound with my Yorkville E10P. I've been fighting volume issues and it's because I need more "me" in my corner but the house doesn't need more me.

12. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Hmmmm, very interesting responses, I'm wrestling with the monitoring thing right now.

I feel I may be getting what some of you are getting, phones vs. wedges vs. FoH, problem is, I go in-ear 90% of the time, so, I DO actually work on presets using the same earphones as I do live, which is smart, I suppose, but what about FoH?

13. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

I am using the AxeFX Ultra with Event 'project studio 8' powered monitors at home. I do ALL of the tweaking through these in stereo.

Direct sound 'extreme isolation' headphones.

Since all my patches are set up for stereo I send the 'left out' to the FOH and the 'right out' to the monitor (one of the Event project studio 8 monitors the other night)....this way I can hear the FOH in stereo with my on-stage monitor giving a FAT 3-D sound as opposed to mono and just getting a feed into the stage monitors...this way I have more control over the stage volume than the sound guy who can put less FOH guitar in those monitors for the rest of the band/singers...

I have a QSC K10 landing on Monday so I won't have to keep unplugging my home studio monitor for live...

I have not ventured into the custom IR's and find the stock cabs to be great....maybe the next update will include a truckload of new IR's!!!!!!!! so we don't have to go through the computer rig-a-ma-row to get em' installed....

playing live, and standing between my on stage monitor and the house, hearing my guitar in the mix, in STEREO, was the best fullest controlled sound I have ever gotten live....

14. Gasp100

Cool concept, I like it. I'm not playing live so I'm just looking for options / perfection out of the AxeFX. I constantly consider little grab n' go amps (of course I'm a complete snob so a "little grab n go" ends up being like a ~$1K mint BF Princeton or something lol) and I can't get away from the Atomic FR for the solution. (I did have one for a short time)
    I think it's a great option for someone like me who wants a full set of options at home (I use Sennheiser 281's closed back phones, Adam A5's most of the time) but I also want the equivalent of every amp imaginable in a "standard" guitar cab config. This way if I do grab in go it's just the AxeFX in a two (or three) space rack <transferred from my studio desk> on top of the Atomic FR.
    I try not to tweak with headphones although I'm very familiar with these now and things that have been built using the Adam A5's also sound very nice through headphones once my ears adjust. I need that 12" speaker though, I can almost guarantee that most of my patches are a little bass heavy through a bigger enclosure.
    I've started to use stock cabs again too, so I have a mix of Red Wirez for some things and stock for others. The Red Wirez definitely require more tweaking imho to combat mic proximity boominess while the stock cabs usually sound decent as is, but once you get a Red Wirez dialed in the patches really come to life.

15. pdouds

pdouds Member

i got an atomic 1-12 50 about a month ago,and it is working out pretty well. for 50 watts, it is really loud,and sounds great.