Axefx revisited

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jzucker, Feb 15, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Hey guys,

I'm still going strong with mine. I have an Allen Old Flame that sounds just great and honestly I think the axefx cleans are better.

By the way, I finally dumped my Epifani bass cabs which I was using as a full range (non powered) cab to run with the axefx. I have settled on a 2x12 open-back cab with Celestion G12H-65 reissue speakers.

I believe this is the best sounding speaker setup for the axefx. Here's my theory about full range speakers for guitar:

Most of the full range cabs available have a crossover that switches over to the mid-range driver at a much lower frequency than a typical guitar signal which can reach up to about 4k-5k. Additionally, many of the UL speakers employed today in modern full range cabinets were designed as woofers and cannot reproduce anything over 2k. Because of this, much of the guitar signal goes through the midrange driver. This causes the guitar to sound a tad nasally and brittle and more directional than a typical guitar speaker. Running the axefx through a transistor power amp and then through an open back 2x12 cab yields brilliant and beautiful results and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the best boutique clean tones and the axefx in this context.

I can get close with a full range cab but I have to make sure I'm off axis from the horn or I will get a bright spike in the tone.

I'm still using a MarkBass LMII for an amp. I'd like to switch to a single space rack power amp but haven't found anything small enough (single space) and light enough.

2. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

Thanks for the update Jack. Do you know if the QSC HPR 122 have a cross over? I think Scott Peterson ditched his JBL PRX because of the cross over issue. I cannot help you on a single space rack uniit.

3. jzucker

Any full range P/A-style cab will have this issue unless you get one with a woofer that goes up to 4k and that's hard to do. You'd also need an adjustable x-over which I have not seen on any cabinet.

Best bet is to use a guitar Cab if you are playing live.

4. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I don't know about the sound quality but the 1U rack space American Audio VLP 300 is 300 watts bridged mono @ 8 ohms, 100 watts stereo @ 8 ohms, and 150 watts stereo @ 4 ohms.

http://www.americanaudio.us/product.asp?ProductIDNumber=1276

When my Ultra comes I was thinking about getting one just to have in the rack if the tone was acceptable.

5. digital jams

digital jams Member

6. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

That looks nice and it's lighter than the American Audio (of course it has half the power). Is it solid state or digital?

You mentioned having friends that use it. Is it loud enough to cut at stage volume?

7. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

I agree with what you say but can you do blackface cleans (Jensen speaker tones) with the G12H-65?

??

8. jzucker

Not sure about Jensen tones but it get a gorgeous SRV Lenny tone with the G12H-65 speakers.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Actually, for the power amp there're two great possibilities. ART makes the SLA1/SLA2, which can give you up to 500w bridged in 1 rackspace. The mack daddy of single space amps is the Stewart Earth 1200: 600 wpc, 1200w bridged. Enough punch for a bass amp or full range PA but only 12#. They run in the $300-400 range on Ebay. If you need less power, the 1/2 rack Stewart P100B give you 100wX2 and is only 5#. OF course the cheapest alternative is to use the RCA inputs of a Crate Powerblock, 75wX2, 150 bridged, 7.5#, less than $100 if you can find a used one that still works!

10. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

This is the one I use. Works great, and the price is right. I've never needed more than the 100 watts a side running into my 2x12, but I run a FRFR next to it as well (tapped off to the board). But really it's (the American Audio) more for stage volume than anything else.

A year later, and happier than ever. I still look forward to getting down and playing. With the advent of the new Firmware, I am absolutely blown away.

EP

11. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...I go guitar>Axe-Fx Ultra>Carvin DCM150 (mono)>Two-Rock 1x12 Sig Cab...it sounds fantastic!

12. digital jams

digital jams Member

They have not complained about the volume, smaller venues of course.

SS or Digital......says it uses linear feedback circuits so I am guessing SS??

Sorry but not sure :crazy

13. jzucker

By the way, digital amps *are* SS.

14. digital jams

digital jams Member

I dont read the forum enough here so yeah that question threw me off a tad.

15. hamfist

hamfist Member

Sorry to be a "fussy pants" but there is no such thing as a G12H-65.
    I think what you mean is the G12-65 re-issue. These have a medium (M) weight magnet not a heavy (H) magnet. :)
    The "H" in G12H-30, for example indicates that the speaker has a heavy magnet.

16. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I think Mesa Boogie makes a 1 space, all tube, EL84 power amp

17. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

I'm thinking he's talking about a Heritage G12-65.

18. axelicker

axelicker Member

I think you mean tube or solid state... There really isn't such a thing as a digital amp. Digital refers to processors, 1's and 0's, memory, etc. Solid state refers to transistors in an analog amplifier circuit.

IMO, the DCM150 is a fine amp at home or for wet effects, but even bridged it does not cut it for med-high stage volume. The Mesa 20/20 is very loud for a 1U rack amp. If you are willing to go to 2 rack spaces there are much better choices in SS amps.

19. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

I've tried both the Carvin DCM150 and the Mesa 20/20. Lack luster at best. I tried them both as wet channels and as a main power amp for tube preamps though various cabs.

Neither held a candle to a little hi-fi power amp I found, GW Labs MM-1.
    Its a (2) EL84 per tube, tube rectified power amp built to be a small PC hi-hi amp.
    http://www.centasound.com/products/gwmm1.html

Sounds incredible, but more for home studio work than stage, which I believe Jack is looking for.

Try and find a nice hi-fi power amp, mine worked great with e AxeFX Ultra I had for a bit.

BTW: Jack, Thanks for all your input on these forums, great books too!

20. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

Scott,

If you are watching I thought you could share your optionions frfr vs guitar cabs. Does the QSC HPR have a cross over or eq that does not suit us well??