Axefx Standard and Ultra Owners Unite! (A Fractal Gen-1 Users Gathering)

JasonE

I still have the real manual for my Ultra as well as an old print out of the amps portion of the wiki. I am still trying to figure out what to do with my Ultra. I pulled it out of the desk it was mounted in. I have everything to hook it up by USB and run the Ground Control Pro controller I have as well. There are two BOSS expression pedals in the case with the GCP controller. It is basically a full rig with the latest firmware on it.

chrishurley

Silver Supporting Member
I still have the real manual for my Ultra as well as an old print out of the amps portion of the wiki. I am still trying to figure out what to do with my Ultra. I pulled it out of the desk it was mounted in. I have everything to hook it up by USB and run the Ground Control Pro controller I have as well. There are two BOSS expression pedals in the case with the GCP controller. It is basically a full rig with the latest firmware on it.

I mostly use mine for effects but sometimes for Amp tones. I'll tell you what I don't use it for... A USB audio interface or headphone Amp. I'd like to find a tiny headphone Amp to graft into it somehow

deathbyguitar

I have an Axe-FX III after having a II and an Ultra previously. I still think the Ultra has cooler sounding presets. "Crystal Echoes" and "The Planets" don't sound nearly as nice on newer units. For The Planets specifically, I think the more advanced/precise pitch shifting does that preset a disservice. The Ultra version sounded more gentle and rounded...kinda hard to explain. I might repurchase an Ultra to try and duplicate this behavior.

Ultricity

Hi! I am happy to have discovered this thread and am enjoying the read! it's not easy to find so many Standard/Ultra users in one place :) However, desperation requires I dampen the mood with a technical support question. I'm afraid my internal battery is nearing its lifespan and I've been trying to back up my Ultra, but can't get Axe-edit to work. Tried running Axe-edit on 3 different computers/operating systems with no success.

So far I've tried Axe-edit version 1.0.191 on:
Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
Windows 8.1
Windows Vista
Ultra has firmware 11

Always same results:
Sync and backup reaches 94% and stops.
Axe-edit always connects but will almost never sync from hardware. (maybe 5% of the time it will, but only for one or two patches then it's done)

I'm using the Gordius Little Giant as midi interface

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated!!

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
I have an Axe-FX III after having a II and an Ultra previously. I still think the Ultra has cooler sounding presets. "Crystal Echoes" and "The Planets" don't sound nearly as nice on newer units. For The Planets specifically, I think the more advanced/precise pitch shifting does that preset a disservice. The Ultra version sounded more gentle and rounded...kinda hard to explain. I might repurchase an Ultra to try and duplicate this behavior.
If you decide to get one hit me up. I have a low mileage unit that has been boxed since the II came out.

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
I don’t but I had an ultra back in the day. I played a bunch of rock festivals and everyone called it the magic black box. So many guys came up to me after my sets gushing about my tone and asking what amp I had backstage then demanded I show them this thing. All the guys with marshalls and mesas wanted the SLO sounds in it. I don’t blame them, they were crazy good.

chrishurley

Silver Supporting Member
Hi! I am happy to have discovered this thread and am enjoying the read! it's not easy to find so many Standard/Ultra users in one place :) However, desperation requires I dampen the mood with a technical support question. I'm afraid my internal battery is nearing its lifespan and I've been trying to back up my Ultra, but can't get Axe-edit to work. Tried running Axe-edit on 3 different computers/operating systems with no success.

So far I've tried Axe-edit version 1.0.191 on:
Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
Windows 8.1
Windows Vista
Ultra has firmware 11

Always same results:
Sync and backup reaches 94% and stops.
Axe-edit always connects but will almost never sync from hardware. (maybe 5% of the time it will, but only for one or two patches then it's done)

I'm using the Gordius Little Giant as midi interface

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated!!

Things I would try- different USB cable to the MIDI interface (can't tell you how many times I was using an ancient USB cable that didn't work right but looked great) and/or different MIDI cables.

Barring that, I'd grab an inexpensive USB to MIDI off amazon and try that- there may just be a compatibility issue here.

I have used this one successfully on some pretty junky old PCs, although they've all been Windows 10.

usb midi

Ultricity

Things I would try- different USB cable to the MIDI interface (can't tell you how many times I was using an ancient USB cable that didn't work right but looked great) and/or different MIDI cables.

Barring that, I'd grab an inexpensive USB to MIDI off amazon and try that- there may just be a compatibility issue here.

I have used this one successfully on some pretty junky old PCs, although they've all been Windows 10.

usb midi
Haha, someone on Fractal forum suggested a Roland um-one the other day so I quick shelled out 50 bucks (used ones were $35-$45 on ebay) and am waiting for it now. If the Roland cable works I will try the one you linked (for $12 ya boy) and, if IT works, return the Roland. Like yours, the Roland is also an interface itself. Your also the second person to say there could be a sysex support issue with the Gordius LG so it will be bypassed with this solution. In any case the LG would have to be modified internally (just move a jumper) to use a cable like this because it's set up to utilize one 7 pin midi cable for two-way communication with the Axe fx (it has pins connected from the "midi in" port to the "midi out"). Many thanks for the advice!!

JasonE

I have one of these that I have had for as long as I have had the Axe Ultra. I ran it on a couple of different computers with Windows XP and 10. The key for this unit was to just plug it in and let the OS find it and download a driver for it.

I also ran this on my Macbook Pro up to the Catalina OS. Once I upgraded to Big Sur, it stopped working. I revamped my whole setup so I didn't dig in to find out if I could make it work.

chrishurley

Silver Supporting Member
Looking for axefx ultra presets to try.
The stock presets are really quite good and demonstrate a lot of cool things. I was surprised when I went through them recently. Went back through with a notepad and jotted down things that I wanted to use again.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom