AxeFX Ultra used price? Better amp tones than an Amplifire?

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
My other guitar player is in the market to get into the modeling game. There is an AxeFX Ultra selling locally for $1200. Seems a bit high but I don't see them around very much as I live in a smaller area. Is $1200 a fair asking price for one of these? Are the tones going to be as good as the amp tones in the Amplifire to justify the $400 difference?

Last edited:

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Around $1000 is the norm. Maybe he is leaving some room for haggling\low balling
That's the arbitrary number in my head. Thanks! Would it make more sense to save up a bit more and get the AX8? Is the Ultra better, amp tone wise; than an Amplifire?

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
It's been a loooooooong time since I played and Ultra, but I would be very surprised if the amp tones were better than the Amplifire (by comparison, I do think the sound on the current Fractal units is a bit better than the Amplifire).
-
Austin

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
It's been a loooooooong time since I played and Ultra, but I would be very surprised if the amp tones were better than the Amplifire (by comparison, I do think the sound on the current Fractal units is a bit better than the Amplifire).
-
Austin
That's what I figured. Plus; he would have to buy a foot controller as well as a rack case. On one hand; I don't want to be pushy and suggest what I own and use :D but that $400 price difference as well as the age of the Axe (even though it is in good shape) makes me kind of shy away from it. I told him to borrow my Mustang Floor for a bit and see if he can jive with the whole modeling thing before he goes full blown. Right now; he plays a Marshall Artist 30 watt tube head through a 2x12 and it matches my Amplifire quite nicely. Of course, the Atomic has Marshall tones for days so....

m~Dan

Why not get a Helix? Should be possible around 1250-1300? Sounds very good (I prefer it over my AX8... but that's only my opinion)

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Why not get a Helix? Should be possible around 1250-1300? Sounds very good (I prefer it over my AX8... but that's only my opinion)
I'm not ruling anything out at all. I would love a Helix as well :D Seems like a bit of $ to drop for the older Axe unit. I know my guy is not necessarily a tweaker, fwiw.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
That's what I figured. Plus; he would have to buy a foot controller as well as a rack case. On one hand; I don't want to be pushy and suggest what I own and use :D but that $400 price difference as well as the age of the Axe (even though it is in good shape) makes me kind of shy away from it. I told him to borrow my Mustang Floor for a bit and see if he can jive with the whole modeling thing before he goes full blown. Right now; he plays a Marshall Artist 30 watt tube head through a 2x12 and it matches my Amplifire quite nicely. Of course, the Atomic has Marshall tones for days so....

My only hesitation with the Amplifire is it might be an issue if any gonzo effects are needed. In that case, something like a Helix would certainly fit the bill in an all-in-one unit. Since you have an Amplifire, why don't you swap with him for a bit and then he can see how it likes it and, maybe, modeling in general.
-
Austin

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
He's not a gonzo effects guy at all. Which is what makes NOT recommending the Atomic that much harder :confused:

rcl

I would put my cash into the newer tech. I always struggled to get tones with the ultra. The usual questions apply-how geeky does he want to get, frfr or not, etc etc. For the price point, hard to beat the AF.

Since he isn't a tweaker-doesn't need a dozen effects at once-get the AF and a TS210 and have beer money left over ;)

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
I would put my cash into the newer tech. I always struggled to get tones with the ultra. The usual questions apply-how geeky does he want to get, frfr or not, etc etc. For the price point, hard to beat the AF.

Since he isn't a tweaker-doesn't need a dozen effects at once-get the AF and a TS210 and have beer money left over ;)
He is by no means a luddite; but he really just wants to dive in and play. The rest of the band is direct (other than the drummer) and he wants to give it a go. Which I commend him for! This particular Axe probably isn't going to do the trick.

FPFL

Atomic all the way.

It's simpler style is an easier transition IMHO too.

I just did an hour set with just the Amplifire to a Mesa 2x12 and it was more than enough with the onboard FX and switching.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Just crafted an over-explained email. Sent him links to the new stuff. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the helpful and informed opinions guys!

shredmiyagi

I think $1000+ is too much for a 5+ year old computer...

But money aside, the Ultra has mojo. The presets are killing, the effects are elite, the preamps are excellent, and worst case scenario, if the direct tones aren't doing it for you, just use a real cab and poweramp.

If you're looking for a good portable gigging solution and want good amp tones, AF makes sense. If it's mostly for recording in the studio/rehearsal space, and you want more tones and effects, Ultra.

I'd probably try to hunt the Ultra down for $800. May be hard to find one at that price; about as hard as getting an AX8 at its new price.

The Ultra is capable of far more advanced effect chains than the AX8 (and dual amps), due to its processing power.

Last edited:

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
That's the arbitrary number in my head. Thanks! Would it make more sense to save up a bit more and get the AX8? Is the Ultra better, amp tone wise; than an Amplifire?

The AX8 is a better deal, but is almost impossible to buy right now. The Ultra is not going to have the newer quantum amps, but you could load newer IR's and it also has 90% of the same FX as the Axe FX II. I would be a lot easier to swallow if the Ultra was around $600-800, but Fractal has great resale value.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
So my other guitarist end up borrowing the Ultra for long term :D Am I crazy or can you not connect it to a PC? I did not see a USB port on it. How did you build patches? The old fashioned way with device display?

Tonekat

Gold Supporting Member
So my other guitarist end up borrowing the Ultra for long term :D Am I crazy or can you not connect it to a PC? I did not see a USB port on it. How did you build patches? The old fashioned way with device display?

You connect it with a Midi interface. Theoretically, you should be able to build presets on either PC or Mac, but I have never gotten it to work, and Fractal doesnt support the app for their older products. I think not putting USB on these early devices was a mistake.

djd100

Axe Edit works via MIDI with Gen 1 Axe FX's, and it works fine that way though the cabling is a PITA.

I use an Ultra for FX only with tube gear, it's a great FX box with good amp modeling too.

Steve Dallas

You connect it via MIDI.

My advice would be Amplifire or Helix. I had an Ultra for several years, and while it could sound stellar, it took a LOT of tweaking to get there. The newer modelers sound just as good for most purposes, and are much easier to dial in.

The Eleven Rack is another good option. You can buy it and a good floorboard for the price of the Amplifire these days, and it is dead simple to use (but not quite Helix simple).

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Yeah the drummer in his other project bought it off the seller (for too much $, imo). He is storing it at our jam spot. Conveniently :D He is running through a Mackie powered speaker now and it sounds OK in that manner. I have my Alesis over there I am going to suggest he try. I am not sure how much of a tweaker the previous owner was; so the presets could just be factory for all I know. He did have a cool violin patch, fwiw :banana

Top Bottom