Axefx2 help please

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by sheguitarplayer, Feb 27, 2012.

1. sheguitarplayer

sheguitarplayer Member

Hoping some of you axefx2 users can tell me where Im going wrong.
    Im a tube amp/cab kind of guy with preferences for Marshall (and sometimes a little Mesa).
    I have a few tube amps and I amplify the axefx2 through an atomic frfr amp and either an evh 4x12 or a Cornford 4x12. (Yes, Ive got a KPA and am loving it, but as Ive got the axefx2 I would like to get the most out of it.)
    Im finding it really hard to get the cojones and presence of the tube amps with the axe2.
    Im using only the amp block and have tried messing around with the speaker resonance tab but this just seems to move the bottom end around, doing nothing to address the problem
    Best way of describing it is the axefx is sounding like a high gain amp does at low volumes, before you turn it up to a volume where the sound fills out.
    Just not happening (filling out that is) with the axefx2 even at painful volumes.
    Is there something else I should be looking at?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. Yek

Yek Member

Connect the Atomic to Out 1 (XLR or jack).
    Reset the Axe-FX (Utility menu > Reset) to make sure it's set okay.
    Verify in Global menu that Power amp sim. is on.
    Make sure the input level "tickles red" in I/O > Input level.
    Set Input Mode to Front in I/O.
    Set Output Mode 1 to Sum L+R in I/O.
    Put only an Amp block in a preset.

Which amp sim are you using?
    For vintage amps (Plexi, JTM45) turn Master to 9, and Drive to 5 or so.
    If this makes the digital Out clip, turn down Level in the Amp block.

Make sure Presence is turned up. It's different from Standard/Ultra. "0" now is really no Presence so you gotta turn it up.

3. paulmapp8306

paulmapp8306 Member

TBH, Ive felt the same when using anything other than a taditional power amp (and usually a valve one -though not always) and regular guitar cabs. Ive bnever clicked with FRFR - even the Atomic route. I always felt it was a little flat.

Since 5.01 though thats changed slightly. i still prefere the amp/cab and think it "fills out" much more - but some FRFR solutions do work for me now (even headphones).

As always, sound pressure does make a difference - but you shouldnt need painfull levels. Similar volumes to that which tube amps generate should (and do for me) produce the same results as using those tube amps.

4. sheguitarplayer

sheguitarplayer Member

@yek, thanks for that. All checked, but no difference. Im mainly using the JCM800 and JVM at the minute but tbh its the same problem on all the amps. Don't think its a matter of how its dialled on the amp itself.
    @paulmapp8306 yep, Im using the atomic frfr (which was the recommended setup when I bought it) with 4x12 guitar cabs therefore using the axefx2 power amps and the description 'flat' probably nails the problem Im having. Doesn't come to life as its brought up to gig volume.

5. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

What kind of speakers are in your traditional cabs?

When I played through Celestions the response was similar to what you are describing but when I played through a VHT cab it really opened up.

I know Paul has used the same cab so he may have some thoughts about it as well.

6. sheguitarplayer

sheguitarplayer Member

Yes they are celestions so that may be it.
    EVH Greenbacks in the evh cab, V30s in the Cornford cab, V30s and G12H in the Marshall.
    Cheers guys for the help.

7. paulmapp8306

paulmapp8306 Member

Um, Ive used a VHT Fatbottom 2x12 with twin V30s and also a V30/G12h Mix. My current cab is a Zilla ported 2x12 with V30/g12h at present. I dont think the speakers are the issue (except possibly in the Cornford cab).

Id seriously look at the amplification I guess. Either the Matrix GT800FX (which Im currently using) or a 50w+ per side valve power amp (my preference is for the Fryette range). Both can be used with the KPA as well so if your going to go down that route rather than FRFR its an option.

The new Atomic Clear suff will be better with jay Mitchells input for FRFR stuff, while there may well be some interesting developments on the horison woth other companies as well (Retro channel and Matrix for example).

8. zentman

zentman Member

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Paul, I found the P50Es in the Fat Bottom to be much more revealing than my V30s with much more high end detail and with a more solid and tight bottom end.

Was your experience different?

10. cardinal

cardinal Member

Through a guitar-oriented power amp (Mesa 50/50), I didn't notice any issues. Don't have a FRFR setup yet, but through headphones I've found I like to run two amps to fill out the sound (the primary amp is set for gain, feel, etc, and a secondary amp that's just for warmth). Put through a cab, I bypass the secondary amp.

11. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

Do you have access to EV12L's?

Have you changed the 'tone stack' in the Advanced page? Turn 'Saturation' on (this is one you'll love on some amps and hate on others), I usually turn the gain down when Saturation is on.

I've had a Kemper for a couple days, last night on my AxeII I was increasing the Depth and Damping a bit and adding very slight eq boost (Amp block EQ) at 500, 1k, 2k, and cut at 4k and 8k (I was only boosting .05 - .20 and cutting just a bit more).

12. sheguitarplayer

sheguitarplayer Member

Got another one on evil bay in anticipation of the amp matching etc. Running both the KPA and the axe2 at the moment.

Thanks for the help guys. Im still trying....

13. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

There's a couple 'empty' IR's on the Axe forum, this would allow you to run a cab block w/o a cab IR which give you the the other features of the cab block. Cab Size in Mono Hires mode could help as well as adjusting the Low Cut and High Cut.

14. chrishurley

chrishurley Supporting Member

Try dialing the transformer match back. I find that it really low-fi's the sound in a way I don't particularly like through a guitar cabinet.

edit: only if the master is cranked up :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  15. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

must be nice (having both)....lol

16. sheguitarplayer

sheguitarplayer Member

Again thanks for the help guys, and the pm chris, I appreciate it.
    Ive tried the axe2 direct to pa. Fine. Direct to fratomic frfr. Fine. Recording to disk, again fine.
    Ive used the axe preamp only to the input of my guitar amps, again fine so I have come to the conclusion that the problem is down to the axe2/fratomic/traditional cab mix which for some reason just isn't working for me, unless there is some setting I have completely missed in the axe menus somewhere. I did a reset as suggested by yek so Ive no idea what it might be.
    Its not that this setup sounds particularly bad. It doesn't and I can hear a lot of potential there, but its as if I had placed a 'tonesuck' pedal somewhere in the chain and removed all the juice and punch.
    This is a shame as the fratomic amp and my cabs are fine when used with other modellers and when I use it with a palmer load box to reamplify a non master volume amp.

17. Yek

Yek Member

If you dialed in a preset with a Cab+Mic block, the switch to a real guitar cab may turn out dark.

I'm using a Scumback M75 at the moment. That's a pretty dark speaker when compared to FR. With the Euro (Ecstasy) and Friedman amp sims, I turn up Presence and/or Treble quite a bit, or engage the Bright switch. So it may be necessary to use lots of Presence, depending on your speakers.

An example of an amp sim that IMHO has a nice hi-freq. balance out of the box (all at default, no tweaking), is Recto Orange Mdrn. Maybe try that?
    Of course without a Cab block.

With that approach the direct tone using Cab blocks may get too bright. Compensate by using dark IRs or by turning up HiCut in the Cab block.

18. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Have you tried a cab setup inside the Axe-FX like I recommend? (OH/JM mix)?

Where do you have the Dynamics set at? Where do you have the Speaker Motor Drive? Do use the Speaker Drive?

19. Yek

Yek Member

The issue is using it with a real cabinet.

20. sheguitarplayer

sheguitarplayer Member

@ Scott,
    Im liking it with your suggestions when running direct etc. Problem is Im not a big 'direct/frfr' fan and am trying to set it up with an atomic frfr amp/traditional cab.
    @yek
    Im trying to dial in using an empty grid with only the amp block.

As I said guys, thanks for the help, but Im pretty sure its just the combination of axe2/fratomic/guitar cab thats not working for me. Ive got a few different cabs that I use with my other gear and swapping them about doesn't cure it.
    Will try out a matrix power amp some time next week see if that helps.