Axis Sport with MM90s - opinions & value?

Rushhead

I have the opportunity to buy or trade for one of these guitars. It seems to be in decent shape. Ash body, translucent finish. MM90s and piezo. Not many of these available on ebay or elsewhere so I'm not sure what a fair price would be. If I did a trade, it would be for a Steve Morse model (original specs), but I get the feeling that the SM would have the higher value.

Any opinions on the guitar and/or its value would be appreciated.

Thanks.

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
I used to love my Axis SS MM90 guitars! I was playing them about ten years ago where you could get a non piezo for used $700 or so and $800-900 for a piezo. Seems like used prices have gone up a lot over the years. When I see them sell now all of them seem to bring over $1000.

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
The older Axis Sport models are not popular on the used market and the MM-90 (while fantastic) seems to be the least desired of them all. I have owned a few and sold them for peanuts compared to the quality. I don't think the piezo will drive up the value. Honestly I would say around $700 is a fair estimate for a MM-90 Sport. The older ones with less common colors (like trans green) and humbuckers can sell for better money but the MM-90 Sport just is not hot on the used money.

Rushhead

The older Axis Sport models are not popular on the used market and the MM-90 (while fantastic) seems to be the least desired of them all. I have owned a few and sold them for peanuts compared to the quality. I don't think the piezo will drive up the value. Honestly I would say around $700 is a fair estimate for a MM-90 Sport. The older ones with less common colors (like trans green) and humbuckers can sell for better money but the MM-90 Sport just is not hot on the used money.
Thanks for the advice. Is the neck the same as on the other Axis models (except for the rosewood FB)?

rufedges

You're on the wrong forum...............here's where you should look for all EBMM related answers.

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/

I've owned two Axis Super Sports and a Silo Special, all sold now. I'm pretty sure the Morse is worth more than the ASS, and you should be able to get an MM90 ASS for 700/800 or so, depending on supply demand, which the demand for any Axis Supersport is almost none. Have you played the ASS yet? Myself, I don't keep gear I'm not using, so a trade for a slight value decrease of something I will use makes sense to me. But, are you sure the ASS with MM90's is going to work for you?

I have the opportunity to buy or trade for one of these guitars. It seems to be in decent shape. Ash body, translucent finish. MM90s and piezo. Not many of these available on ebay or elsewhere so I'm not sure what a fair price would be. If I did a trade, it would be for a Steve Morse model (original specs), but I get the feeling that the SM would have the higher value.

Any opinions on the guitar and/or its value would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

beej

I have a SM and an Axis Sport MM90. Totally different guitars, both fantastic. There's something about that sport- I actually prefer it to the Super Sports w/ humbuckers. The MM90s cover a lot of ground.

That said, I wouldn't do a straight up trade. The SM is definitely worth more, even up here in Canuckistan :)

Trending Topics