Axl Rose's Latest...Slash a "cancer", original lineup "dead and buried"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jammybastard, Feb 27, 2009.

1. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

gonna be some very sad GnR fanboys after reading this...

pay attention to the part where he says that what broke up the original band, and the hardest thing to replicate, is the guitar chemistry btwn Slash and Izzy...

2. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

here's the rest...

3. cugel

cugel Member

if those are his words verbatim then he's very thoughtful well spoken guy, and actually doesnt come off as a complete ass considering what you hear about him and considering he delievered one of the best vocal performances in rock ever in AFD. i would have a HUGE ego if i had done appetite.. i say good for axl he comes off as sober, intelligent and coherent. no i dont own chinese democracy or illusion

4. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

Yeah, I'm not a fan either, but he's a lot more articulate than I would have thought. Calling somebody a cancer is a little over the top though, IMHO.

5. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

As bad as most people make Axl out to be, remember that he is a guy that's had to deal with full on drug addicts from Steven Adler to Slash and it sounds like they were more of the reason that broke up the original line up than Axl being some egoed out control freak. One thing I've learned thru the years is there is two sides to the coin.

6. Electric I

Electric I Member

Well said.

7. trickness

trickness Analog with a side of DSP

OK, I'll give you Steven Adler. But I saw G&R back in the day several times, including the tour with Soundgarden, when they arrived 2 hours late on stage, and literally half the show was Axl going off on various rock stars, journalists and celebrities that he had issues with, spouting empty threats onstage about beating them up while thousands of people howled "PLAY SOME MUSIC!" Total DOUCHE. The rest of the band smoked cigarettes and scratched their balls while he subjected Madison Square to his crap.

He came off as seriously mentally ill back then, and nothing he's done in the ensuing years has made him appear different. The new record is a bloated piece of sh*t, it has no heart, or whatever heart it does has apparently pumps only toxic black goo.

They were great in fall 1987, everything since then pales by comparison.

8. drewl

drewl Member

Well I guess he's had alot of time to think these things out.
    After reading Slash's bio, he doesn't slam Axl, but he was no picnic to work with either.
    They were all f-d up addicts even before they made it and that's what made them great.

9. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

You must be one of those people he was talking about in the interview J/K No man I hear you, believe me I know Axl is no saint, and is probably crazier than a sh#t house rat, but it's NOT all him being the problem. There were 4 other guys in that band that had there own issues.

As far as the new Guns album? I personally think it's the best rock album I've heard in years! At first listen, I was scratching my head wondering what the hell he has been doing the last 15 plus years, but the more I listen to it the more I think it's brillant.

10. trickness

trickness Analog with a side of DSP

Him plus the four other guys made one of the best rock and roll records of all time.

Him without those guys took 15 years to make Chinese Democracy, a record that sounds like chopsticks being thrust into my ears.

11. Michael T

Michael T Member

12. Luke

Luke Senior Member

A GNR Illusion reunion will happen eventually, because of the MONEY. None of these guys are making big money at the moment, but me suspects they still are spendy. Eventually you have to eat your pride if you wish to retain the castle on the hillside.

13. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

+1

I'm sure a "Guns 'N Roses" concert with Axl will be able to fetch some money in some part of the world for the foreseeable future. But the last record died commercially, which definitely hurt the brand. The only viable path back to big money is a reunion of some kind -- and yes, eventually the accountants, lawyers, and managers will explain these pedestrian realities to all concerned. Axl does seem pretty committed to his current path, though, but ultimately his bank account will be the deciding factor.

On another note, reading his comments does make you wonder why anyone would want to get into the music business with a band in the first place. Apparently you only encounter the most damaged and depraved people imaginable, and either the worst happens -- you fail -- or the brass ring happens -- you succeed to your dreams -- which triggers the first response anyway, because nobody is capable of dealing with it. Or, better said, the very thing that makes you unique and interesting and exciting is what will be your downfall. Your demise is in the very DNA of your success.

At least this thread gave me my new sig!

14. Solomon

Solomon Member

I have to agree with him regarding the drums on Illusion.

15. Luke

Luke Senior Member

If you ever see the Motley Crue story, I think it was Tommy Lee who said he was looking for three other guys who had nothing else to live for but the band. Talent was not part of the equation. Of course once you have money, an endless supply of coke and strippers, you have more to live for (read: addictions and rehab). So you lose your edge. And of course your dealer and stripper are always pumping you up that the band is nothing without you, so you start to think, "yeah maybe I should form the Mick Mars Experience and show them".

16. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

I was talking with a friend the other night about how it took Axl 12 years, twice the length of the Beatles entire recording career to come up with Chinese democracy. Food for thought.

17. michaelvincent

michaelvincent Member

Considering that the entire sum of Axl's contact with the rest of the old band has probably been through lawyers you have to wonder if you actually got them in a room that things might actually be cool between them. When any of them talk about the old band they come off like a group of people who all feel hurt by one another and are just remembering everything through that lens. Seems to me that this sort of things happens between good friends all the time, and unfortunately for them they had to do it all out in the open.

18. fierce_carrot

fierce_carrot Member

All one needs to do is look at Axl's own behavior towards his FANS at various concerts, and then all those who tried to back him during the endless years of Chinese Democracy recordings and tours, and it's apparent he has self annointed himself some sort of messiah.

This guy is truly part of the human debris of rock. He was for a time, one of the greatest frontmen in front of the best band of it's time. His 15 minutes of fame are gone.

Time to move on and use him as a great example of a bad example.

19. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

In comparison to Axl former members of Guns have done pretty well. Adler's another story but they've been rather industrious compared to AR. The bands classic status screams for a reunion but is what he says real emotion or is he setting up some "shock hype" to make a reuinion more sensational because of the rift? I don't doubt there's a rift, that's been apparent for many years but it could also be that they've met and decided to spice it up to create more buzz.

Nah, they hate each other...won't happen.

20. whitehall

whitehall Member

Fame, like money, does not come with instructions. Which is really too bad. Remember no one in G&R ever finished high school. Two sides to everything. Slash doesn't really say squat in his book about a lot of things. I guess we will have to wait for the Axl book.