AYA Compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cruz Azul, May 7, 2008.

1. Cruz Azul

Cruz Azul Member

Love the various allen hinds, tim pierce, michael thompson vids floating round. Anyone here got/tried one? Reckon i'm gonna pull the pin on one....

2. bduguay

bduguay Member

I got one off ebay. It's an MXR Dynacomp with higher, and lower grade parts. I like it lot's.
    B.

3. strings2wood

strings2wood Supporting Member

I had one but sold it. Not because I didn't love it. It is a brilliant compressor.
    I already had an analogman juicer, and then got a BJF PGC.

To me, the AYA is very versatile. You can set it to give sustain without too much "squish", but will also do that if you want.

It rolls off the treble more than the PGC, which with single coils can sometimes be a useful option.

The AYA can be transparent and will also do the Ross style of compression.

I'm still undecided as to whether I'll always keep the PGC on my board. If I did move it, I'd happily buy another AYA very quickly.

I just couldn't justify 3 compressors on one pedalboard in terms of real estate. I'm sure I would have used them all, but I doubt many in the pubs/ bars we play in would have discerned why I love them all.

4. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

I have the Aya and its the only compressor I use now. Its very transparent and can go from very subtle to squashed.
    Definitely a keeper.

5. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

One of the few compressors I haven't tried yet ...
    I like that idea that squish is on tap ...

A lot of the ones without much squish, always seem to be more of a booster then a smoother ....
    I prefer a compressor to do both - smooth and boost ...

6. Cruz Azul

Cruz Azul Member

Thanks fellas! Did any of you guys that have them buy them from Makoto? or?

7. cheesey

cheesey Member

i got mine from makoto , quick shipping !

8. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Has anyone compared this to a Keeley? I'm kinda waiting on the new Mad Professor's comp coming this spring.:eek:

9. CHSU587

CHSU587 Member

I got this one right after having the Keeley Compressor, which I sold, to buy the R-Comp, which I also ended up selling. The Keeley was a fine unit, did what it needed to do, and it was wonderful. Don't know WHY I even wanted the R-Comp...to me the Keeley was a more versatile pedal.

maybe it was hearing Allen talk about it at school or something, but I bought one...maybe I'm not good enough to warrant having one but it wasn't what I hoped for. As mentioned it was really transparent and all...but I bought a compressor to have compression ... I have a lot of sustain through my amp and guitar already and I don't really need anymore than that.

I LOVE the Drivesta though, but it's going soon because I don't use it enough. Makoto was my teacher for a long time, if you buy an AYA, buy from him!

-Chris

10. strings2wood

strings2wood Supporting Member