Aya or Demeter Compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Myron Stratis, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Supporting Member

I've never owned a compressor and I really like the tones that some of my favorite players (the Edge) get out of them. Which one is your favorite???

2. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I believe that Michael Thompson does a demo on the Aya compressor on www.prosoundcommunications.com

He seems to really like it and I will go out on a limb and say that I think that I could trust his ear!:D

3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Hey Myron, wish I could tell you about the Demeter, I can't but I do have an AYA. It is a very high quality Ross clone in my opinion with a level pot inside (exactly what I'm unsure) and it does sound very good but to my ears not worlds different from a Keeley. But that may be true of every good comp.

4. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I've got a Demeter, and I love it. It's not a clone of anything and is ultra transparent. If you're looking for a classic "guitar comp", look elsewhere. FWIW, I'm not a big fan of Ross, or Dyna-Comps, so the Dem is perfect for me.

5. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

These are also the two I'm looking at also. I'm thinking of replacing a clean boost with a comp.

Although I play country tinged alt-rock and I'm always trying hard to get more genuine country steel licks under my belt, I've always shyed away from comps because I don't like the really squeezed cliche Nashville sound. Nevertheless reading this forum has re-educated me a little into thinking that a little compression could help to even things out for me a little on occasion.

I guess I'm interested in which of these has the most versatility as I'm unsure of how much squeeze will be to my taste. I'm thinking a little bit of squeeze plus volume boost is what I'm looking for.

6. erksin

erksin Member

And maybe a 'Blend' or 'Mix' control..?

I'm not a fan of the super-squeezed tones either. From what discussions I've read here lately, the Diamond comp is more subtle than the Ross-style boxes and sounds quite good from the reviews. The Tonefactor Squeeze Factor has a blend knob, but is discontinued (but I think soon to be released under the Pedalworx name).

7. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

The Demeter is great- as another poster stated, it's unlike anything else, really sounds (to me) more like a high end studio compressor- more transparent and refined than a Dyna-Comp style box...

I bought 2 Demeters, one for my little board and one for my rack!

8. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

If you're not into the "Nashville Squeeze", check out the Demeter.

9. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

+1 exactly!

10. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I have the Diamond, and it's the same technology as the Demeter. Optical compression. I've went through lots of comps, and the Diamond is the only one so far that will never leave my board. I will try more in the future and see if anything else will join the Diamond. But I will always keep the Diamond.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net
    http://www.phensic.com