B-52 at 212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by higherground, Dec 24, 2009.

1. higherground

higherground Member

Brand new to the forum, glad I found it. I'm looking for some input, thinking of buying a B-52 AT 212 combo. I found one used and it sounds great in the music store. Any opinions or things I should look out for.

2. shawnshack

shawnshack Supporting Member

I have one of those and one of the 1x12's. I love the cleans on both, the reverb is good, but the drive channel shines. I think the at 112 sounds better, but that may be because the 212 I bought used and may need new tubes. What's nice is that you can turn the contour knob all the way down and it's got that heavy metal/high gain with lots of mids. If you crank the contour knob you get an EVH-ish cranked marshall tone. The thing I don't like is that I don't think it does well with milder overdrives. You can clean up the amp's drive, or the drive from a pedal, but you can't get it as clean as with some amps. You will notice that this amp loves lots of drive and can go very clean, but not much in between.

3. higherground

higherground Member

I think I can get it for $350.

4. higherground

higherground Member

I play in a cover band, that plays a bunch of 80's hair metal, so I'm looking for a tube amp that is 3 channel. I currently own a Peavey Vypyr, A Line 6 Spider 3, Marshall AVT 275, and a Fender Stage 160. So I want something tube, but it has to be 3 channels. This B-52 seems to fit the bill, but I'm not familure with them at all, I knew they made PA gear but didnt even know that they made amps. I just don't want to buy something that is'nt gig worthy, we've cut back to about 4 shows a month but I want something reliable.

5. shawnshack

I don't gig (just play at my church). I'm the youth pastor and I bought these for us to use for our youth worship team. But I have a few friends (who heard mine and loved them) who gig with them. They don't play a lot though. They haven't had any problems. I've heard others complain about problems though (on forums). They are very solid construction (birch wood). The components all seem solid to me. I think they are a great amp. For $350 I'd jump all over it. I bought my 212 from a friend who needed money and didn't care about the amp, he sold me the amp and a Ernie Ball VP Jr for $300. I'd say if you don't like it you could sell it for more later. A music store nearby is selling a used one for $1,000. I think that is crazy, which is why it has been there for months.

6. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

They're actually good for clean to hair-metal and not much in-between as was mentioned. I have the 60 watt 1x12 and get great 60' 70's with the gain ch at noon, mid at noon, treb rolled back with a silicon fuzz pedal out front. They can be electronically difficult at times but the plus side being the factory is very helpful, even to non-waranty holders. If you're using the 100 watt 2x12 you may want to search Craigslist to scrounge up the B52 4x12 w/Celestion V30's for way cheap, good luck.

7. shawnshack

don't know if you bought it yet or not, but I was messing with my 1x12 today (I've been trying to find a new amp and decided to mess with this one a little more) and hooked my m13 up with it. I was finally able to use a couple drives from the m13 and dial them in for some milder drives and keep the amps drive cranked at around 1 o'clock for some more punch. I keep my bass and middle controls cranked, treble at 2 o'clock and I crank the contour knob (I want the classic rock tone), clean channel is bass at 1, middle at 1 and treble at 2, and I keep the low res at around 3. I'm gonna use this set up live the next time I play and see how I like things.