B-movies, drive-in , cult , grindhouse , exploitation, giallo, cannibal and spaghetti westerns ...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by stumphead, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

@Fatherflot I'm surprised you left out Roger Ebert's masterpiece of screenwriting, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

Trevordog, 84superchamp and sahhas like this.
  2. stumphead

stumphead Member

Exploitation films may feature suggestive or explicit sex, sensational violence, drug use, nudity, gore, the bizarre, destruction, rebellion, and mayhem.

Such films were first seen in their modern form in the early 1920s, but they were popularized in the 60s and 70s with the general relaxing of censorship and cinematic taboos in the U.S. and Europe.

The Motion Picture Association of America (and the Motion Picture Producers and Distributors of America before it) cooperated with censorship boards and grassroots organizations in the hope of preserving the image of a "clean" Hollywood, but the distributors of exploitation film operated outside of this circuit and often welcomed controversy as a form of free promotion - wiki

[​IMG]

JiveTurkey likes this.
  3. cameron

cameron Member

This one played for months and months at some theater in Greenwich Village in the early 80s. Was it The Waverly? I don't remember . . .

4. stumphead

stumphead Member

Cannibal films, alternatively known as the cannibal genre or the cannibal boom, are a subgenre of exploitation films made predominantly by Italian filmmakers during the 1970s and 1980s. This subgenre is a collection of graphically violent movies that usually depict cannibalism by primitive, Stone-age natives deep within the Asian or South American rainforests. While cannibalism is the uniting feature of these films, the general emphasis focuses on various forms of shocking, realistic and graphic violence, typically including torture, rape and genuine cruelty to animals. This subject matter was often used as the main advertising draw of cannibal films in combination with exaggerated or sensational claims regarding the films' reputations. - Wiki

5. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

I made the mistake of watching Jungle Holocaust years ago and it made me stop and take a look at what I was doing to myself by seeking out the sickest movies I could find. I was pushing my limits and I found them. It didn't kill my interest in horror then but it sure made me back off. In the years since, I have largely lost my taste for horror though. I can do something crazy like the above mentioned Basket Case very very occasionally but definitely no more of those cannibal movies for me! Looking back, I find it hard to understand why I wanted to watch any in the first place.

6. stumphead

stumphead Member

maybe you were sick in the head ?

7. DM426

DM426 Silver Supporting Member

Island of Terror really got to me as a kid. What could possibly be scarier than tentacled horrors which suck out your bones!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  8. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

I certainly was deep in depression and I think i did use horror as an escape then. Somewhere along the line, I grew a fascination in pushing my limits with horror. Although I did find it disturbing as hell, in some strange way, I'm glad I watched it. I think it have me the kick in the ass I needed to realize what I was doing to myself by watching that stuff. I still loved horror for quite a while after but I backed off the more extreme stuff. I realized it just ain't healthy for me. Somewhere along the line too, horror became the last thing I want to watch when I'm feeling down rather than being what I used to almost automatically turn to. I think it was some of my depression lifting and maybe just growing up.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  9. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

One of my all time faves from Drive In days back in the 70s:

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  10. sandcastle

sandcastle Member

I'm not familiar with the genres, however I did show Pink Flamingos way back when I was a projectionist. That and Eraserhead. Both pretty cult and not my taste.

Wolfboy1 and grill like this.
  11. stumphead

stumphead Member

Spaghetti Western, also known as Italian Western or Macaroni Western (primarily in Japan),is a broad subgenre of Western films that emerged in the mid-1960s in the wake of Sergio Leone's film-making style and international box-office success.

The term was used by American critics and those in other countries because most of these Westerns were produced and directed by Italians.

monwobobbo likes this.
  12. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

Would a Cannon Films action movie qualify for the category, or was that studio trying too hard to be real filmmakers?

A-Bone likes this.
  13. grill

grill Member

LOL, John Waters was awesome. Nasty tho.

Devine and Edith.

Edith lived down the street from where I was living, would wave to her all the time when I walked by.

"Mr Eggman"

:):(

Suave Eddie likes this.
  14. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

I have never heard of this movie! it looks like the dune buggy movie to end all dune buggy movies!

15. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

That was big budget and mainstream ( a 20th Century Fox release) in comparison to Myer's indy releases.

A-Bone likes this.
  16. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

This one is kind of a parody of B movies, campy anyway. Bruce Campbell is a pretty hilarious guy, IMO.

[​IMG]

17. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

I never saw it but back in the Siskel and Ebert show when they were still on Public TV and it was called "Sneak Previews", they had an episode of "guilty pleasures" and one of them mentioned/liked this movie:

[​IMG]

18. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Suspiria
    [​IMG]

The Great Silence
    [​IMG]

Bone Tomahawk
    [​IMG]

Lone Wolf And Cub series
    [​IMG]

Great thread!

19. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

20. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

If this hits a theatre for a screening near you, definitely check it out in 3D.