Babaar's Small Fry

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by muddy, Jun 11, 2006.

1. muddy

muddy Member

:horse leave that poor beast alone!! anyway, got one a dese a few days ago, and i gots ta tell yas, it is one great little od! and that dynamics pot is SO bloody potent! it completely changes the character of the ped into a whole new one. i even got a very hendrixian cot50 outta this box! i have to say, i am very pleasantly surprised; it easily surpasses the ddss, as far as these ears are concerned.

ml

2. Sid

Sid Member

Hey man,
    glad you loving your small fry(yuk yuk didnt mean for the innuendo):nono ...

Could you give a comparison between the Small Fry and some other pedals in its league...:JAM

What kind of genres is it suitable for-Metal,Blues, rock??:p

Lets have a review:crazyguy

3. fatback

fatback Member

thanks Mud! I'll have to check one out.

4. muddy

muddy Member

well 1st off, if yer thinkin' ts-variant, fuggettabowdit! while it doesn't have gain fxxker amounts of drive/dist, it has a LOT more than what you might think; maybe a HAIR less than the ddss, if at all. and because of the dynamics knob, it's a whole lot more versatile than the ddss. we're not talkin' tonal/eq changes, but literally character changes. this knob is responsible for the fry's magic, because it'll dial in a number of fender-style voicings, plexi, and of course a dxxble. how CLOSE they get really depends on how good an ear you have for dialing them in, but general ballpark, no prob. as the dynamics knob moves from left to right, it pares away the sizzle, and emphasizes a harder knock in the attack, a more beck-like/clean sustain, ala coloursound's overdriver. it was really an entirely different od! it was like switching from an eL84-style amp to a 6L6gc-style one, it was that diff!

i still need s'more time wif it, but so far, so good! out...

ml

5. mkg

mkg Member

muddy, that's a good description...I'll just add that the mini-toggle switch and the internal trim pots provide countless varieties of OD.
    I've had mine for about a week now and am still discovering variations.
    Lots of facets to this jewel.
    :BEER

6. glendrix

glendrix Member

Gotta agree, very versatile all usable. I dig

7. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I have the DDSS...and I love it. Would you suggest having both the DDSS and the Small Fry in the same pedalboard...are they different enough, or pretty similar? Thanks for your time.

Brandon

8. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

is there any sounds that the small fry can get that the barber burn unit eq CANT get?

9. jgyn

jgyn Member

I'd like to know also.
    -jan

10. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

thanks dave~!

i guess i will have to add another pedal to the Barber stable.

DDSS mod
    LTD
    Tone press
    Launch Pad
    Original Burn unit (gone!) I guess to be replace by SF!:RoCkIn

11. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Hmmm...muddy gots me thinkin. I love my DDSS so much...at quick plug I didn't think I liked the SF as much, but it probably deserves a bit more tweaking time. Barber makes such groovy stuff.
    Greg

12. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

The Small Fry just replaced my MI Audio Crunch Box... another great pedal, but didn't have the low gain finesse nor the attack I was looking for. The SF also gets close enough for me to the higher gain sounds of the CB while retaining this amazing versatility.
    I agree that the dynamics control is profound, but the internal note shape and the 3-way toggle are definitely powerful controls as well.
    Curiously, the volume control seems to alter the gain response as well... so much versatility!