Baby Boomers only (1945-1964) your thoughts on today's music?

Every time I decide that "today's music sucks", I am startled by something I hear that moves me.

Preconceptions are the problem. At least for me.

ElMasMalo

Even if the "really good stuff" is a copy of some other artist's work?
To me, there's copying and there's playing music that is influenced by other artists. Players like Marcus King, Gary Clarke Jr. and H.E.R. are taking what they've heard from artists in genres that they appreciate and putting their own spin on it. Not all of it is "really good stuff" but there are the occasional gems here and there.

We've got to be honest with ourselves: Where would the Stones and Zep be if not for John Lee Hooker, BB King, Howlin' Wolf and the many, MANY original blues men? And we should all give thanks to Sister Rosetta Tharpe for her influence on making the electric guitar an essential part of musical expression.

RicOkc

There are some great groups out there, but you have to search for them. You're not going to hear them on corporate radio.

I have to agree with Jimmy Page when asked about the music that was being released in the 80's. I think that applies to today's music.

" I don't hear any virtuoso's."

There are some great groups out there, but you have to search for them. You're not going to hear them on corporate radio.

I have to agree with Jimmy Page when asked about the music that was being released in the 80's. I think that applies to today's music.

" I don't hear any virtuoso's."
He's right

IronBaden

I'm 60 what I like about they way things are today is the amount of independent music that is out there..My experience has always been that you needed to dig to find the good Music.. it was always crap on the radio ... a few great ones would trickle through ... but in my youth ..the bands I liked ..were never on the radio ..to me nothing has changed.

EDIT... the listening experience has definatly changed... the way music is consumed ,.. but as far as radio..they played crap back then too lol

Last edited:

Dik Ellis

Back then there was a creature called "Regional Music", with certain sounds coming from different parts of the country. Now it's all homogenized. If I was putting out an album today, I wouldn't want a bunch of stars playing on it. Just some good sidemen to bring out my best.

uitar99

There is some good music. It is just hard or harder to find.
Just over three years ago, my son turned me on to streaming (Yes, I'm an old fart). I have been streaming for an hour a night while I read since then. Started with the stuff I know from my dark youth and then started cerfing the interweb rabbit hole on those artists and the folks that played with them and discovered a huge freaking world of music in the genres I like.

The jam band scene is the music of my youth which has warped into so many different styles, instruments, other country influences, even offspring keeping it alive.

Folks like elephant revival playing Pink Floyd and Jefferson Airplane with banjo and fiddle.

Now the streaming service gives me options based on my listening tastes and is feeding me yet more stuff.

I do miss early FM radio (whole sides with the dj smoking one in the background) and listening and waiting for the new lp at the local record shop but streaming is a great alternative.

PowerOFTen

Illegal downloading + Videos has rendered music as no longer needing to be very good.

Another way to think of it is... When is the last time a Group, created a pop album, that was really full of great songs, that stand the test of Time.?

Maroon 5 ? Thats a nope.

The Killers ? Thats a nope.

It was The Police, in '1986.

Also,

Where is the next Elton John or Billy Joel?
Where is another Foreigner or Journey?
Where is another Duran Duran?
Where is another The Cars?
I wont even suggest "where is another QUEEN or Pink Floyd", as that is not going to happen.

Potentially, tho not yet, but, it could be that Harry Styles, has a bit of staying power, but, His songwriting Chops are not yet delivering the "More than a Woman to Me" of a Billy Joel, or a "Rocket Man" of an Elton John, or anything like a "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", album.

The best album released in the last 15 yrs is a Keith Urban album, entitled. "Defying Gravity"
Regarding a Woman, it would be Kandace Springs : "Soul Eyes".

Sadly, the best music, is in the Past.
Thankfully, there is a whole lot of it.
You can spend a day listening from 1973- 1987" and then leap to what is out there now on Pop FM, and its not going to hold up.... and you might just run away screaming, with your hands over your ears.

Here is Harry, doing it live, and maybe he'll be able to put out 2 really good albums, before his day in the sun had darkened into night.

Go with Headphones for best results.
-

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom