Baby I'm Amazed

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by skydog, Mar 13, 2006.

1. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

I'm amazed at how the majority of people will plunk down major bucks for the Fenders, Gibsons, and other "big boys" of guitardom w/o batting an eye. Mention one of the small independent luthiers and the balk. The only argument I see for the big boys is resale value. It's a sad but real truth. Hopefully, much like the Japanese influx of cars shook up Detroit, these independents will remind the big boys that quality is still sought after, by true afficianados. The Fenders and Gibsons being produced today aren't near what was made in the day. When will people wise up?:horse

2. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I agree why would you pay six to eight grand for any gibson? I know someone who has one of these expensive Gibsons, mostly for bragging rights. It is ridiculous! There are much better values out there; however,most are too concerned with the name on their headstock. I would be happy if my guitar came with no name and for that matter they could leave the finish off. As long as it plays good and sounds good. That is whats important.

3. captain_rusty

captain_rusty Member

I think I'm the only person in my region to use a Patrick Eggle, and probably the only person in France with a Ken Loper! :D
    What do I care? They were both immensely better value than the 'big boys"... :)

4. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Just playing Devil's Advocate here - There are a lot of players who swear that only a Gibson Les Paul or Fender Strat will give them the sound that they want [moreso the Gibson than the Fender].
    For instance, a McNaught is a beautifully crafted instrument that follows the familiar formula of maple cap on mahogany body, mahogany set neck with rosewood fingerboard, but to a die hard fan of the Les Paul tone, there will be something lacking.

Just to be clear, my humbucker jones is satiated with PRS guitars, so I don't have a horse in this race!

5. DavidE

DavidE Member

I don't understand this thread. I play Hamers, PRS, G&L etc...

6. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

It goes to the whole experience. For many, the reason you started to play was things like the Kiss and Led Zepplin posters you had on the wall as a kid. It's a weird feeling to play the guitar of your heros. It's why for some ungodly reason, I still lust after an EDS-1275, even though I have no real need for one. But I'd be happy to have it. Page, Lifeson and a few others were the players on the songs I learned on. They are why I love playing.
    Now, I'm also wanting a nice Semi Hollow or Les Paul style, and am contemplating something besides another Les Paul or 335, because I want something more. And Gibson is nearly impossible to order special stuff from, like fatter necks and nicer frets. And some custom wiring. I get the feeling that their custom shop is mostly for finishes.

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Generalizing here is IMHO a little misguided; perhaps here on the Gear Page more than most other sites on the net you'll find folks that not only play lots of brands of guitars (big and small) but also own/play them all at the same time. There is less "I only play (insert brand here)" here than most anywhere IMHO.

And at the very least, you'll find a tremendous groundswell of support for smaller builders here in the most direct sense.

In my case, Melancon, Thorn and Hamer being my main guitars. Nary a Fender or Gibson to be found, nor have I had one of either in many years.

8. CS'56

CS'56 Member

skydog,
    I find just the opposit on this board. Most people here seem to be against Fender and Gibson.

9. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Have to disagree here. I played a real nice LP Classic with PAFs in it for years and am a big fan of LP tones. My McNaught VSC absolutely nails the LP vibe and tones.

10. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Looks and image has always played a big part in peoples lives and the marketing people take full advantage of that. It's no secret that Ibanez guitars are the leaders in shred type guitars based on the endorement deals thay have forged with the big names of that genre. Gibson started in the early '50's by naming a guitar after one of the names of the day and getting Les Paul to play their products on TV!

What I find more interesting is not the comparison between the small producers versus the big guns, as the likes of McNaught, Suhr et al have a kudos amongst guitar players, but how people react when a perceived 'cheap' manufacturer brings out a really nice guitar. How many people here regret passing up one of the early '80's Tokai Breezysound strat replicas and bought a Fender for more money; or what would we really do if we went into a shop to buy a Gibson Les Paul and tried an Epiphone which was just as nice as the Gibson we set our sights on - I mean, we have the cash for the Gibson right?

11. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Cool. Admittedly, I've never played a McNaught. I could have [maybe should have] made up a name, but McNaught popped into my head.

As others pointed out, here on TGP we play/own a variety of instruments by any number of different builders, but perhaps on a different forum existing solely for the purpose of glorifying a particular brand one would find the die-hard who would never think to go 'outside the box'.

Hope that clears up my point!:)

12. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    I disagree, and I don't believe there's any evidence that the majority of TGP members are against Fender or Gibson.

Quite to the contrary, if you'll do a content analysis of a typical week's posts in the Gear Page guitar forums, you'll find a huge number of questions and answers about Fenders and Gibson, without a single complaint in them, as well as plenty of folks raving about them.

OTOH, when it comes to lodging negative posts about builders, I think what you're noticing is that making posts against Fender and Gibson are "acceptable" on TGP (for a number of different reasons, and I'm saying that completely independent of the issue of whether or not the criticisms of Fender and Gibson are well-deserved or not).

As was previously posted:
    I think the negative posts you notice about Fender and Gibson stand out in stark contrast to the very few negative number of negative posts you'll find against boutique builders.

Why? Probably because:

- there are no Fender/Gibson employees here replying to negative posts
    - there are lots of boutique builders replying to negative posts
    - there are lots of boutique guitar fans here actively talking about/promoting/defending the brands they love. No surpise, as after all, there's no other independent, all-inclusive boutique builder forum on the internet like TGP. And that's a good thing!
    :)

13. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Well, I have a Gibson histoiric, a couple of Fender CS teles, and a Lentz S, and my main problem is deciding which one I want to play. I don't like the designs of a lot of the small luthier stuff, many of them are a bit over the top for me, but I totally acknowledge that is my personal taste and would never criticize someone else's.

I do think some might balk at the small luthiers because in many cases you have to order the guitar to be made for you, which can be a wonderful thing, but you're paying a lot for a guitar you haven't seen, and also there is often a pretty long wait time. I did it with my Lentz, and believe me I am very happy with the results, but I can see how it might be a discouragemant for some.