Babyface Pro FS vs Fireface UCX II

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
I bought the last new MADIface Pro that RME had in stock last week, even though it was discontinued this past spring. No way I would have done that with another company.

MagusFaerox

Unheard of to today's standards. That is a company who cares about the community and their products

Also a relatively forward-thinking one.

Those HDSPe digtal interface cards are still used daily by people who know what they're doing and can have anything they want....because outside of the advantages of AVB/Dante or HDX compatibility, nothing better has come out for exactly what they do.

If you have PCIe slots and can use ADAT, AES, or MADI....everyone has had ~14 years to catch up...and no one really has.

Some of those people working on Macs spend as much or more than the computer costs just for external PCIe slots to run those cards. Heck, RME had M1 drivers for those cards relatively quickly, and there are still no M1 Macs with native PCIe slots.

Also, if you're okay with a digital volume control, the ARC USB functions as a fantastic monitor controller.

And you can get most or all of that via USB or Thunderbolt, depending on your needs.

There's a LOT going for RME. I'm kind of a fanboy. You don't need it, especially for a small home studio with just a bit of IO....but it's a very different approach from the flavor-of-the-month interfaces that most companies put out.

Maximum Guitarage

Silver Supporting Member
Also a relatively forward-thinking one.

Those HDSPe digtal interface cards are still used daily by people who know what they're doing and can have anything they want....because outside of the advantages of AVB/Dante or HDX compatibility, nothing better has come out for exactly what they do.

If you have PCIe slots and can use ADAT, AES, or MADI....everyone has had ~14 years to catch up...and no one really has.

Some of those people working on Macs spend as much or more than the computer costs just for external PCIe slots to run those cards. Heck, RME had M1 drivers for those cards relatively quickly, and there are still no M1 Macs with native PCIe slots.

Also, if you're okay with a digital volume control, the ARC USB functions as a fantastic monitor controller.

And you can get most or all of that via USB or Thunderbolt, depending on your needs.

There's a LOT going for RME. I'm kind of a fanboy. You don't need it, especially for a small home studio with just a bit of IO....but it's a very different approach from the flavor-of-the-month interfaces that most companies put out.
I understand why change it if it ain't broke ? If those HDSPe digital interface cards are still used by many. I see your point about the ADAT, AES or MADI with PCIe slots to be used yet everyone is still catching up. Folks tend to get stuck into wh as t works and keep using if.

Haha! Yeah I am sure those PCIe cards are costly and more than then the MACs them selves. I was going to go that route, although I am all PC and Windows. I have a decent computer I built that has a lot of room for expansion PCIe slots and I was going to go that route of getting a sound card that I can just record out of. Then I realized who has time to manage the PC side of things , I just want to plug in and go into my DAW and get going.

I am fine with digital volume control , good to know about the ARC USB functions monitor control. Interesting indeed!

Yeah the RME Fireface UCX II is over kill for a small home studio, although for me IMHO I feel like this will last me 10+ years and I can grow into the features that I may not use today.

I , although recently, much like you became a fan based on the community they have built around their products, really stands for something.

Franktone

Gold Supporting Member
Either one is a really great choice.
I've got the Babyface pro fs for portability and is enough for me.
Fireface UCXII has more line in's, more line out's, more channels for expansion 40 channels (20 in, 20 out), vs 24 channels (12 in, 12 out).
Fireface UCXII portability can record directly into a thumb drive or hard drive without computer for full stand alone operation but it has to be line powered.
Babyface pro fs does not have standalone portability, but you can take your laptop with your Babyface and record anywhere outside without line power since the Babyface can live on usb laptop power.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom