back in late 82, this band came to town and opened for us

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Bobby D, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

My band The X-Statics did pretty well in the southeastern USA during the 80s.

We were young, good looking, and fairly talented :D

There were some damn good bands from back then. the Producers were one of my faves.

But this band from Athens GA really had a buzz going in their hometown.

They showed up in Pensacola in a white Econoline van, and had a 45 single for this song:

The opened for us, and I sat and watched them with my lead singer. We both thought they were quite good, although the lead singer Stipe basically looked down at the mic and never really engaged the audience at all.

Then later when we would play in Athens, we did some shows where we opened for THEM, and some of those shows at the college were AMAZING.

Still, with all the OTHER bands in Athens at that time, like Love Tractor, Pylon, etc.......no one thought REM would be as big as they ended up.

still love them. and wish i had kept my signed copy of that first 45 for Radio Free Europe they gave me. one of my ex-girlfriends snagged that during a breakup :bonk

2. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

although from NC, i still lump this band in with the Athens crowd.

i thought they were better than REM, to be honest :hide2

3. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

of course, this band were GOD in Athens in early 80s :bow:bow:bow

wicked riff here:

4. Mudder

Mudder Member

Athens was loaded then. REM, Pylon, Flat Duojet, B52, killer scene.

5. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

i LOVED that town :love::love::love:

oh, to be 19 years old again and dancing at the 40 watt club :D

6. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

Having never heard of Love Tractor or Pylon, I wonder if their songs are as strong has REM's.

7. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

I can't believe it took a bunch of red & white stage props and replacing their drummer with a good looking woman for the Flat Duo Jets to get noticed... wait a minute- am I mixing them up with someone else? ;)

Cheers to you for getting to see all that firsthand from the stage back then Bobby. I've seen some pretty amazing stuff at the old 40Watt, the old one and the new.

8. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Not very many, although REM did covers of both.

9. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

the flat duo jets are cooler than the white stripes :hide2

10. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

Bobby D, did you play at McGuigan's in P'cola? Seems like I remember that band name. REM's members were taking up the door and stuff at the 40 Watt when I played there around 1980 or so, I think. I have that 45 somewhere and actually like that rendition better than the one that was on Murmur though I liked the B-52s better than REM...funkier.

11. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

yes indeed! McGuigans was the "punk rawk" bar in P'Cola, played there many times :D

12. chucke99

chucke99 Member

+1 for Let's Active and this song. It's one of my all-time favorites.

13. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

We used to play there and later the Handlebar. I was in a band called the Rakes and later one called Mr. Resistor and the Incapacitators.

14. isfahani

isfahani Member

ohhellsyeah! I will go to my grave thinking that they should have 'made it' just a bit further and wondering why REM did instead... I really enjoyed Chronic Town, Murmur & Reckoning but after that... bleh.
    Strangely enough, I felt same thing about the Replacements. Three LP's, one cassette, and then... Bleh.

Speaking of Minneapolis bands - Not to threadjack, but if you like Let's Active, maybe this band will float your boat too: The Flamin' Oh's

(enjoy)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  15. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Mitch Easter and Let's Active were great for sure, although I am not prepared to rate them as qualitatively superior to Stipe and co. and do not combine them with the Athens, GA bands.

Matter of fact, R.E.M. did some of their early recording at Easter's Drive-In Studio in NC.

16. tonemeister20

tonemeister20 Member

We opened for the B52s while I was in college in Charleston SC. I have a pic that turns up every now and again and if I find it will post. I don't think I have ever seen a band quite like them, combining surf with rock. Ricky Wilson was an incredible guitar player that definitely has not gotten the recognition he deserves.

My father taught at UGA while he was working on his doctorate, we would go back for homecoming and I would try to catch REM if they were playing. Athens was and still is a fantastic town.

17. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

Underneath all the quirky lyrics and vocal melodies were some really tough sounding rhythms. I saw these guys this fourth of July and this struck me as I focused on the guitarist. Great grooves.

18. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I agree, the B-52's are a GREAT band and I loved the guitar work of the early days. One of my favorite grooves is towards the tail end of Rock Lobster. Fantastic work! That tone is my bench mark for gritty/clean.

19. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

There was a fun read on the Athens music scene called Party Out Of Bounds by Rodger Lyle Brown. Think it was published in the early 90's & it's probably out of print now.

Though not from Athens (they were closer to Atlanta, I think), Guadalcanal Diary is another 80's band from that area I thought were just criminally underrated. Phenomenal band & songs. Jamboree is a particularly good record.

20. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

atlanta had some great bands too....The Producers were AMAZING, and should have been much bigger.

lead singer/bassist Kyle Henderson went on to be a dentist, probably a smart move ;)

we played with them several times, opening shows. GREAT band!